Did I mention I have a mobile phone? I can talk to people while on the go. It has touch screen, too. This is something that stalin never achieved, maybe communists should worship me instead
[account deactivated]
wake up in the mornin feelin like vi lenin
Jeff Stalin holds record for most confirmed kills. The "Man of Steel" was well known for personally executing dissidents with his fat, strong hands. Some people think this makes him bad. Others think it proves communism works. I think that we need to learn a little more before we can make a judgement. The Book isn't closed yet. Lets see what he does in the 21st century before we decide.
I'm fascinated by him, and respect his use of power in some areas, but how can a humanitarian-minded person really excuse him for what he did, like any tyrant?

It's easy to make glib jokes about it, but the famine in the Ukraine that he and his cronies helped engineer and manipulate, the whole nationalities loaded onto cattle cars and shipped halfway across Eurasia, the brutal and inhuman use of slave labour........how can anyone who claims to want a better world really be in favour of these things?
[account deactivated]
I've seen people on the forums regurgitate stuff about "breaking the back of the counter-revolutionary kulaks" and stuff, and i just think that there is something horrifically grotesque about modern, comfortable people in their 20s sitting at their computer, sippin' their slurpees spitting venom at hard-working, simple people whose crime was to own some chickens or whatever.
[account deactivated]
An owner of chickens is a small property owner, whereas a modern, comfortable twenty-something might not own any property at all. And who cares if the former is hard-working? The unemployed and unemployable aren't hard-working because they're never working, but that doesn't make them conservative. Rather, they probably have the least stake in preserving the rule of capital.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
hey whatayall think about this thing ole Castro wrote in 2007??

http://www.juventudrebelde.co.cu/cuba/2007-09-19/deliberate-lies-strange-deaths-and-aggression-against-the-world-economy/

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

I'm fascinated by him, and respect his use of power in some areas, but how can a humanitarian-minded person really excuse him for what he did, like any tyrant?

It's easy to make glib jokes about it, but the famine in the Ukraine that he and his cronies helped engineer and manipulate, the whole nationalities loaded onto cattle cars and shipped halfway across Eurasia, the brutal and inhuman use of slave labour........how can anyone who claims to want a better world really be in favour of these things?

Crow, i saw you downvoted this, and i'm wondering why. I've (i'm being sincere here) struggled with it again and again and i cannot find a way to excuse such monstrous actions. You perhaps think this argument is some liberal nonsense and you are past discussing it but no matter how open minded I force myself to be i cannot get past it

[account deactivated]

Crow, i saw you downvoted this, and i'm wondering why. I've (i'm being sincere here) struggled with it again and again and i cannot find a way to excuse such monstrous actions. You perhaps think this argument is some liberal nonsense and you are past discussing it but no matter how open minded I force myself to be i cannot get past it

i'm beyond caring how desperately people in the west cling to orientalist garbage historiography. Believe what youd Like

if you really want to know: I am against genocide, human-engineered holocausts, slave labour, tyrants, evil, and Bad stuff. I do NOT like the bad stuff! At least most of it, i'd say
[account deactivated]

Crow posted:

i'm beyond caring how desperately people in the west cling to orientalist garbage historiography. Believe what youd Like

To put it a more constructive and less combative way then, and i'll receive your answer with an open mind: How did you personally...let's say, overcome such a historiography, and how do you rationalize (defend, synthesize, contextualize, whatever) such things as the famines in the Ukraine, the population transfers, the Gulag, the extraction economies set up in the Soviet periphery?

[account deactivated]

Crow posted:

To put it a more constructive and less combative way then, and i'll receive your answer with an open mind: How did you personally...let's say, overcome such a historiography, and how do you rationalize (defend, synthesize, contextualize, whatever) such things as the famines in the Ukraine, the population transfers, the Gulag, the extraction economies set up in the Soviet periphery?

well i take a more critical look at retarded books and courses taught by racist ass dweebs, and try to apply the little knowledge i have about the world, especially systemic understandings, in a more forgiving manner to people i have never met, parts of the world i never seen, and eras i havent lived in. narratives about evil tyrants in hellish faraway lands are silly and cowardly. it's like applying your own neuroses to strangers, all you are working is with yourself. so how about giving people a break you Wanker

tpaine posted:

he's Russian so he's probably just like "Famines never happen. Camps never happen. Everyone treated well. Vodka is colored orange. *drinks patently clear vodka* Is orange."

and my father's georgian, from an aristocrat family of a land colonized by Russia, a family who lost their fortune and standing in the revolution. so i can always play that card for sympathy with yanks. Yanks like a particular fucker didnt ever taste colours.

[account deactivated]
stalin was probably acting rationally and in a manner consistent with good intentions but that's exactly why stalinism is terrifying.

Crow posted:

Crow posted:

well i take a more critical look at retarded books and courses taught by racist ass dweebs, and try to apply the little knowledge i have about the world, especially systemic understandings, in a more forgiving manner to people i have never met, parts of the world i never seen, and eras i havent lived in. narratives about evil tyrants in hellish faraway lands are silly and cowardly. it's like applying your own neuroses to strangers, all you are working is with yourself. so how about giving people a break you Wanker

that's not what i asked, and seems to be evading the question

i'm not calling you evil, and i didn't call Stalin "evil" either, nor am i positioning Savage Oriental Despotism against Enlightened Anglo Liberalism, you seem to be misrepresenting me.

Crow posted:

Crow posted:

that's not what i asked, and seems to be evading the question

i'm not calling you evil, and i didn't call Stalin "evil" either, nor am i positioning Savage Oriental Despotism against Enlightened Anglo Liberalism, you seem to be misrepresenting me.

basically what i'm telling you, is that even when i read the same stupid shit as you, i do not read it like you. i also have a wealth of experience, where i can taste orange vodka fuck ass, so fuck along to the brisbane and wallop off the dingy ya CUNT!!! FOKIN CROC FOCK

FOkin bollock walloping gujoo
U SHIT!!!!!!! U SHIT!!!!

Crow posted:

basically what i'm telling you, is that even when i read the same stupid shit as you, i do not read it like you. i also have a wealth of experience, where i can taste orange vodka fuck ass, so fuck along to the brisbane and wallop off the dingy ya CUNT!!! FOKIN CROC FOCK

What stupid shit? I've been reading Moshe Lewin's the Soviet Century recently, it seems pretty legit.

[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

stalin was probably acting rationally and in a manner consistent with good intentions but that's exactly why stalinism is terrifying.

There is nothing rational about Stalinist show trials.

[account deactivated]

wasted posted:

getfiscal posted:

lol, why not? Discrediting and liquidating people who

a) are your political rivals
b) are links to a historical record which differs from that which you are trying to project

in order to secure and strengthen your hold on power seems entirely rational

tpaine posted:

hmm, coldly efficient and unfeelingly brazen siberian cutthroatedness versus hillbilly-like wildness with an army of lethal fauna at your beck and call...not sure who to root for here really. iwc would be disappeared but while they're holding in some cell that hasn't been maintained since 1968 he would call on some kind of atmospheric flying squirrel to come chew through the bars or something. what i'm saying is i think of you all like cartoons and i'm sorry if that offends you

getting offended by global caricatures of australians is the height of dumbness. We're not actually persecuted or oppressed by the stereotypes and we're a small country in the middle of nowhere that doesn't really Make History so i understand it. They're pretty funny too

wasted posted:

getfiscal posted:

b) are links to a historical record which differs from that which you are trying to project

I mean more in the sense that they had to confess.

wasted posted:

wasted posted:
getfiscal posted:

I mean more in the sense that they had to confess.

Because it invalidates them as martyrs and re-subscribes them to the party (Stalin) line and the party (Stalin) version of history.

From THEIR point of view: It's rational because the party and the cause is what matters above all and it would be shameful if not traitorous to put their own personal notions of "guilt" or "truth" above it.

what I wanna know is why 50 million dead?? HEllo, that's weird. Just sayin.
[account deactivated]
he fucked up spain imo
[account deactivated]