Trying to brush up on my Palestinian history and I'm kinda sick of bouncing from website to website, article to article. Would be nice to get some suggestions for good book suggestions on the history of the region, Palestine-focused or otherwise. Thanks In Advance

e: Critical histories of Zionism and other related topics would be cool too.
Speakin of Palestine, there's this that got posted up a little bit ago:

The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine by Ilan Pappé

In this controversial new book, a prominent Israeli historian at Haifa University revisits the formative period of the State of Israel. Decisively debunking the myth that the Palestinian population left of their own accord during the War of Independence, he offers archival evidence to demonstrate that a central plank in Israel's founding ideology was the forcible removal of the indigenous population. This book is a passionate plea to acknowledge the ethnic cleansing of Palestine in 1948 as the root cause of the ongoing Palestine-Israel conflict.

it's on bookfi for Your Pleasure:
http://en.bookfi.org/book/822763

martin gilbert has a big history of israel that i bought. good to get the jewish perspective, since jews have a right to a homeland.
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

martin gilbert has a big history of israel that i bought. good to get the jewish perspective, since jews have a right to a homeland.

, pal, final warning

if jews want a homeland they should be able to have one. that's democracy. they should work towards a palestinian state with reparations for the occupation, but israel should probably exist because millions of jews want it to and their voice should be heard.
agreed but with nazis

getfiscal posted:

if jews want a homeland they should be able to have one. that's democracy. they should work towards a palestinian state with reparations for the occupation, but israel should probably exist because millions of jews want it to and their voice should be heard.

i don't see how that is necessarily tied to zionism, but this is the wrong thread for that!

noam chomsky is good for stuff about israel-palestine as well.

here's a good overview http://www.chomsky.info/interviews/20040330.htm

chomsky wisely supports a two-state solution.

START-UP NATION addresses the trillion dollar question: How is it that Israel-- a country of 7.1 million, only 60 years old, surrounded by enemies, in a constant state of war since its founding, with no natural resources-- produces more start-up companies than large, peaceful, and stable nations like Japan, China, India, Korea, Canada and the UK?

With the savvy of foreign policy insiders, Senor and Singer examine the lessons of the country's adversity-driven culture, which flattens hierarchy and elevates informality-- all backed up by government policies focused on innovation. In a world where economies as diverse as Ireland, Singapore and Dubai have tried to re-create the "Israel effect", there are entrepreneurial lessons well worth noting. As America reboots its own economy and can-do spirit, there's never been a better time to look at this remarkable and resilient nation for some impressive, surprising clues.

MadMedico posted:

large, peaceful, and stable nations like India

lol

palestinians: from peasants to revolutionaries by rosemary sayigh is really good and u can get a pdf right here! good luck and god bless :-)
theres only ONE book u need!..... THje BIBLE.....
[account deactivated]
Getting some good suggestions, thanks all. Keep em coming!
let me sit down and really consider how i should structure my life, impoverished adult convert to islam living in a craigslist ghetto hookup and approaching the event horizon of spinsterhood at the speed of woman administrator of webforum
The Rhizzone: Come for the links to cool stuff on other sites, stay for the goony melodrama
The spinsterhood of the traveling whatever's I can't do this anymore
Goat this isn't something I wanted to announce this way, but while Khamsek was living in London she bore my child.
she bores everybody

jools posted:

Goat this isn't something I wanted to announce this way, but while Khamsek was living in London she bore my child.

jools posted:

i found a video of the miracle birth

this is the definitive text imo

kobe...
this might not be exactly what youre looking for, but try fuck and destroy by john r r christy. it was recently adapted for tv by hbo, although they changed the name to "girls"

Goethestein posted:

let me sit down and really consider how i should structure my life, impoverished adult convert to islam living in a craigslist ghetto hookup and approaching the event horizon of spinsterhood at the speed of woman administrator of webforum

the other day i watched that "how do blankets work" onion lifehacks thing and i was like "oh, blankets trap body heat, i didn't realize that". like until that point i just assumed blankets were like to prevent the cold air from getting at you. then today i was like man my feet are cold, i should put on socks. wait, socks are like little blankets, they trap the body heat. so i'm 31 years old and i just figured out how clothing works.

getfiscal posted:

Goethestein posted:

the other day i watched that "how do blankets work" onion lifehacks thing and i was like "oh, blankets trap body heat, i didn't realize that". like until that point i just assumed blankets were like to prevent the cold air from getting at you. then today i was like man my feet are cold, i should put on socks. wait, socks are like little blankets, they trap the body heat. so i'm 31 years old and i just figured out how clothing works.

[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

Goethestein posted:

this blanket knowledge doesn't smash capital.

in the first sherlock holmes story, iirc, it was revealed that holmes doesn't know that the earth revolves around the sun because he has avoided learning irrelevant things to make more time for detectivery. thats basically getfiscal wrt capitalism

getfiscal posted:

were you literally shaking?

i admire anyone for their honesty in self-criticism and will to discover, actually

animedad posted:

i admire anyone for their honesty in self-criticism and will to discover, actually

your experimentation with butt salts is admirable