I've always found it curious how some of the strongest counter-cultural ideas come specifically from Christians. For example, in my life, I have seen two places talk about annorexia as a thing that we need to all come together to fight: feminism and the Christian Church, and I've only seen one of them directly reaching out to victims (it's not feminism) (I should be clear I'm talking about my personal experiences here, I'm sure plenty of feminists fight annorexia personally, I've just never seen it). There is a tendency to think about that kind of Christianity (evangelicalism? mainline protestantism? I don't know the word) as "conservative" but really is it? A lot of their ideas are not accepted by the mainstream, but we seem to like to pretend as though they are for some reason, as though the "Christian" that 80% of the population of the USA are is the same as the "Christian" of Pat Robertson or whoever.

I mean, I've known lots of people, quite a few of whom would probably identify as Christian if asked but really don't "act" Christian. I'm not talking, like, they don't listen to X music artist or enjoy Y foods or have Z politics or whatever, but... ugh, if you've ever known one of Those Christians ("Real" Christians) you know what I'm talking about. Like, my brother is one, for example. It's hard to put into words what exactly identifies them but if you've known one, you know what I'm talking about. It's not about how often they go to Church (though I'm sure they do it alot), it's more about a more ephemeral, difficult to nail down, way of conducting their lives. If I had to guess, it's something about striving for moral perfection, for lack of a better phrasing.

What are your thoughts on this subject matter?

Peace.
[account deactivated]
Faith/religion is more manifest in practices than in beliefs.

tpaine posted:

I have an irrational fear of zombies. It's safe to say I've actually lost some sleep worrying about zombies, even knowing that my fears were completely irrational.

why did you post this in both my threads?

wasted posted:

Faith/religion is more manifest in practices than in beliefs.

exactly. i think.

anorexia and rape by envelopment, good to see you're tackling the big issues cycloneboy

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

anorexia and rape by envelopment, good to see you're tackling the big issues cycloneboy

Xie xie ni.

McRib is back

Cycloneboy posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Xie xie ni.

Also I can't believe this sound is written "xie" that's fucking ridiculous.

Christians are teh shit. You don't get to judge who is Christian and who is not, Cycloneboy,you bigot.
the all-too-brief availability, subsequent disappearance and annual triumphant reappearance of the mcrib represents a contemporary take on the passion and resurrection of christ in mainline american protestant christianity

gyrofry posted:

the all-too-brief availability, subsequent disappearance and annual triumphant reappearance of the mcrib represents the passion and resurrection of christ

Deep, man, deep.

i got in the argument w/ a thug lesbian about whether christ was resurrected at the bar the other night and all the hipster atheists in the joint were staring at us like we were crazy hobos who had wandered into the bar.

then i went to a halal cart at like 2 am and this guy was talking to the dude about how like he thinks religion is pointless and he looks over at me and goes, 'right, dude?' and iw as like no im not atheist and he got rly weirded out. Praise God.
please stop spamming my thread with image macros
No.

Cycloneboy posted:

please stop spamming my thread with image macros

Here's a possible 6-week study guide for small groups to use while reading Un-American Activities: Countercultural Themes in Christianity based on a course Tom is teaching this Fall.

LIBERATION: COMMON HOPE IN A COMPLEX WORLD
A Senior University course offered by Tom Wilkens, Fall 2010

Week 1: Questions & issues for discussion
What are some differences between modernism and postmodernism, and why should anyone care?

What is the distinction between exegesis and hermeneutics, and why might it make a difference in understanding biblical literature?

Describe as well as you can these three approaches to the Bible: the approach of modernism, of postmodernism, and of fundamentalism. Which of them comes closest to your approach?

Do you find the perspective on life in the book – namely, life as pilgrimage – helpful and insight-producing or a useless artifice?

How well or inadequately do we communicate with our adult children about things that really matter?

Can Third World (developing-world) perspectives inform and assist First World (developed-world) people? If so, how? If not, why not?
I had a dream last night that I was going to my first class at Harvard and all excited about being accepted there for a third masters program. I got lost on campus because rich fat sorority girls were trying to convince me to have a threesome and I was late for class. Then the professor of the class got really mad at me for being late and yelled at me "This is Harvard buddy, we don't fuck around here, get the fuck out of my class and don't come back next time."
shoulda had the threesome mate

gyrofry posted:

McRib is back

This is an invasion from the McRib thread (the self-styled "/b/ of Rhizzone"). We do not forgive. We do not forget. We are anonmous

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

This is an invasion from the McRib thread (the self-styled "/b/ of Rhizzone"). We do not forgive. We do not forget. We are anonmous

You are "enormous" lmao.

No body shaming please

tpaine posted:

I have an irrational fear of zombies. It's safe to say I've actually lost some sleep worrying about zombies, even knowing that my fears were completely irrational.