i want to go back soon.... but last time i was up there it was w/ this girl who lives in palo alto for thanksgiving and since then things have got kinda awkward with her so i dont know when i'll be there again

Myfanwy posted:
I have add without h so I get hyperfocus when I don't take it. Basically it just locks you into whatever you're doing and you won't stop until you're dehydrated and super tired. And whatever the thing is is really enjoyable while you're pushing through it.

The sort of super focus that people who don't have add get when they take amphetamines isn't quite the same, it's more frantic and rational. At least that's how it seems from the outside

it's been a while since i last took adderal, but i remember it having the opposite affect on me. i remember having really bad insomnia to the point where i had to be put on a sleep ad that gave horrible hallucinations. during the middle of the day while it was in my system, i would just tune out, go into my head, and be barely cognizant of things around me. i parents said i was like a zombie at the time.

sounds fun
drink some olde english ken. i just finished my runthrough of the kobe book so now i have to decide what i'm gonna do with the manuscript haha.

idk what i'ma be writin next
when i first moved to la & was in venice a homeless huy was drinking olde english and we had a long conversation about it, and the fact that i am english
haha, yeah, that is generally what happens, i think
im going to finish kobe book. im going to finish it. but first, i need to read the ambassadors, by, henry james
you should go lift weights in a tiny speedo at venice beach to get the full venice experience
the same thing is happening to my idea that happens to all of them.... its becoming too much about ideas and so on and not enough about plot + character.... i guess thats just my personal style or whatever but im trying to keep it under control to some extent, im going to do a whole bunch of character exercises, boring people in mundane situations with no real implications, until i done Trained me Brain
i smoked weed with some homeless dudes and got in a fight i think thats p real
im going to bed.
maybe you should instead do something productive like start a football riot and flip over police cars and burn down a starbucks
idk. i'd say that the plit/characters and the ideas should serve each other, not become more about one or the other. of course, the ideas are everything, but they are nothing without the characters, even as the characters have no reason for existence without the idea. it's an eternal struggle, and it's okay if one side or the other wins as long as it isn't always the same side
i thought i'd share this half-chapter from Goodman and Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 12th edition. This section of chapter 1 does not exist in previous editions of Goodman and Gilman's, a textbook used by graduate students in the fields of medicine, pharmacy, and so on. it can offer insight into medical culture.

===============

Public Policy Considerations and Criticisms of the Pharmaceutical Industry

There is no doubt that drugs can save lives, prolong lives, and improve the quality of people's lives. Like adequate nutrition, vaccinations and medications are important for public health. However, in a free-market economy, access to safe and effective drugs (or any kind of healthcare, for that matter) is not equitable. Not surprisingly, there is a substantial tension between those who would treat drugs as entitlements and those who view drugs as high-tech products of a capitalistic society. Supporters of the entitlement position argue that the constitutional right to life should guarantee access to drugs and other healthcare, and they are critical of pharmaceutical companies and others who profit from the business of making and selling drugs. Free-marketers point out that, without a profit motive, it would be difficult to generate the resources and innovation required for new drug development.

The media tend to focus on public policy with regard to the ethics of drug testing, the effectiveness of government regulations, and conflicts of interest on the part of researchers, physicians, and others who may have a personal stake in the success of a drug. In addition, high-profile legal battles have been waged recently over access to experimental (non-FDA-approved) drugs and over injuries and deaths resulting from both experimental and approved drugs. Clearly the public has an interest in both the pharmaceutical industry and its oversight. Consequently, drug development is not only a scientific process but also a political one in which attitudes can change quickly. Little more than a decade ago Merck was named as America's most admired company by Fortune magazine seven years in a row—a record that still stands. Today, Johnson and Johnson is the only pharmaceutical company in the top 50 of the most-admired list, and this likely reflect their sales of consumer products, such as band-aids and baby oil, rather than pharmaceuticals. The next sections explore some of the more controversial issues surrounding drug invention and development and consider some of the more strident criticisms that have been leveled at the pharmaceutical industry (Angell, 2004).

Mistrust of Scientists and Industry

Those critical of the pharmaceutical industry frequently begin from the position that people (and animals) need to be protected from greedy and unscrupulous companies and scientists (Kassirer, 2005). They can point to the very unfortunate (and highly publicized) occurrences of graft, fraud, and misconduct by scientists and industry executives, and unethical behavior in university laboratories and community physicians' offices. These problems notwithstanding, development of new and better drugs is good for people and animals. In the absence of a government-controlled drug development enterprise, our current system relies predominantly on investor-owned pharmaceutical companies that, like other companies, have a profit motive and an obligation to shareholders.

Pricing and Profitability

The price of prescription drugs causes great consternation among consumers, especially as many health insurers seek to control costs by choosing not to cover certain "brand name" products. Further, a few drugs (especially for treatment of cancer) have been introduced to the market in recent years at prices that greatly exceeded the costs of development, manufacture, and marketing of the product. Many of these products were discovered in government laboratories or in university laboratories supported by federal grants. The U.S. is the only large country in the world that places no controls on drug prices and where price plays no role in the drug approval process. Many U.S. drugs cost much more in the United States than overseas. The result is that U.S. consumers subsidize drug costs for the rest of the world, including the economically developed world, and they are irritated by that fact.

As explained earlier, the drug development process is long, expensive, and highly risky (Figure 1–1 and Table 1–1). Only a small fraction of compounds that enter the development pipeline ever make it to market as therapeutic agents. Consequently, drugs must be priced to recover the substantial costs of invention and development, and to fund the marketing efforts needed to introduce new products to physicians and patients. Nevertheless, as U.S. healthcare spending continues to rise at an alarming pace, prescription drugs account for only ~10% of total healthcare expenditures (Kaiser Family Foundation, 2009), and a significant fraction of this drug cost is for low-priced nonproprietary medicines. Although the increase in prices is significant in certain classes of drugs (e.g., anticancer agents), the total price of prescription drugs is growing at a slower rate than other healthcare costs. Even drastic reductions in drug prices that would severely limit new drug invention would not lower the overall healthcare budget by more than a few percent.

Are profit margins excessive among the major pharmaceutical companies? There is no objective answer to this question. Pragmatic answers come from the markets and from company survival statistics. A free-market system says that rewards should be greater for particularly risky fields of endeavor, and the rewards should be greater for those willing to take the risk. The pharmaceutical industry is clearly one of the more risky. The costs to bring products to market are enormous; the success rate is low (accounting for much of the cost); effective patent protection is only about a decade (see "Intellectual Property and Patents" later in the chapter), requiring every company to completely reinvent itself on a roughly 10-year cycle (about equal to the lifespan of a CEO or an executive vice president for research and development); regulation is stringent; product liability is great even after an approved product has reached the market; competition is fierce.

The ratio of the price of a company's stock to its annual earnings per share of stock is called the price-to-earnings ratio (P/E) and is a measure of the stock market's predictions about a company's prospects. A decade ago, pharmaceutical companies' stocks on average were priced at a 20% premium to the market; today they sell at a 34% discount; this is a dramatic change. A decade or two ago, the pharmaceutical industry was incredibly fragmented, with the biggest players commanding only very modest shares of the total market. Mergers and acquisitions continue to narrow the field. For example, Hoechst AG, Roussel Uclaf, and Marion Merrell Dow plus Rhone-Poulenc became Aventis, which then merged with Sanofi-Synthélabo to become Sanofi-Aventis. The giant Pfizer represents the consolidation of Warner Lambert, Park Davis, Searle, Monsanto, Pharmacia, Upjohn, and Agouron, among others. Pfizer's acquisition of Wyeth is currently pending; Wyeth is the result of the consolidation of American Home Products, American Cyanamid, Ayerst, A. H. Robbins, Ives Laboratories, and Genetics Institute. The pharmaceutical world is shrinking.

Who Pays?

Healthcare in the U.S. is funded by a mix of private payers and government programs. Correspondingly, the cost of prescription drugs is borne by consumers ("out-of-pocket"), private insurers, and public insurance programs like Medicare, Medicaid, and the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). Recent initiatives by major retailers and mail-order pharmacies run by private insurers to offer consumer incentives for purchase of generic drugs have helped to contain the portion of household expenses spent on pharmaceuticals; however, more than one-third of total retail drug costs in the U.S. are paid with public funds—tax dollars.

Healthcare in the U.S. is more expensive than everywhere else, but it is not, on average, demonstrably better than everywhere else. However, the U.S. is considerably more socio-economically diverse than many of the countries with which comparisons are made. Forty-five million Americans are uninsured and seek routine medical care in emergency rooms. Remedies are the current subjects of complex medical, public health, economic, and political debates. Solutions to these real problems must recognize both the need for effective ways to incentivize innovation and to permit, recognize, and reward compassionate medical care.

Intellectual Property and Patents

Drug invention, like any other, produces intellectual property eligible for patent protection. Without patent protection, no company could think of making the investments necessary for drug invention and development. With the passage of the Bayh-Dole Act (35 USC 200) in 1980, the federal government created strong incentives for scientists at academic medical centers to approach drug invention with an entrepreneurial spirit. The Act transferred intellectual property rights to the researchers themselves and in some instances to their respective institutions in order to encourage the kinds of partnerships with industry that would bring new products to market, where they could benefit the public. This resulted in the development of "technology transfer" offices at virtually every major university, which help scientists to apply for patents and to negotiate licensing arrangements with industry (Geiger and Sá, 2008). While the need to protect intellectual property is generally accepted, the encouragement of public-private research collaborations has given rise to concerns about conflicts of interest by scientists and universities (Kaiser, 2009).

Despite the complications that come with university-industry relations, patent protection is enormously important for innovation. As noted in 1859 by Abraham Lincoln (the only U.S. president to ever hold a patent ), by giving the inventor exclusive use of his or her invention for limited time, the patent system "added the fuel of interest to the fire of genius, in the discovery and production of new and useful things." The U.S. patent protection system mandates that when a new drug is invented, the patent covering the property lasts only 20 years from the time the patent is filed. During this period, the patent owner may bring suit to prevent others from marketing the product, giving the manufacturer of the brand-name version exclusive rights to market and sell the drug. When the patent expires, equivalent products can come on the market, where they are sold much more cheaply than the original drug, and without the huge development costs borne by the original patent holder. The marketer of the so-called generic product must demonstrate "therapeutic equivalence" of the new product: it must contain equal amounts of the same active chemical ingredient and achieve equal concentrations in blood when administered by the same routes.

Note, however, that the long time course of drug development, usually more than 10 years (Figure 1–1), dramatically reduces the time during which patent protection functions as intended. Although The Drug Price Competition and Patent Term Restoration Act of 1984 (the "Hatch-Waxman Act") permits a patent holder to apply for extension of a patent term to compensate for delays in marketing due to FDA approval processes, patents can be extended only for half the time period consumed by the regulatory approval process, for a maximum of 14 years. The average new drug brought to market now enjoys only ~10-12 years of patent protection. Some argue that patent protection for drugs should be shortened, based on the hope that earlier generic competition will lower healthcare costs. The counter-argument is that new drugs would have to bear higher prices to provide adequate compensation to companies during a shorter period of protected time. If that is true, lengthening patent protection would actually permit lower prices. Recall that patent protection is worth little if a superior competitive product is invented and brought to market at any time in the patent cycle.

Drug Promotion

In an ideal world, physicians would learn all they need to know about drugs from the medical literature, and good drugs would thereby sell themselves; we are a long way from the ideal. Instead we have print advertising and visits from salespeople directed at physicians, and extensive so-called "direct-to-consumer" advertising aimed at the public (in print, on the radio, and especially on television). There are roughly 100,000 pharmaceutical sales representatives in the U.S. who target ~10 times that number of physicians. It has been noted that college cheerleading squads are attractive sources for recruitment of this sales force. The amount spent on promotion of drugs approximates or perhaps even exceeds that spent on research and development. Pharmaceutical companies have been especially vulnerable to criticism for some of their marketing practices.

Promotional materials used by pharmaceutical companies cannot deviate from information contained in the package insert. In addition, there must be an acceptable balance between presentation of therapeutic claims for a product and discussion of unwanted effects. Nevertheless, direct-to-consumer advertising of drugs remains controversial and is permitted only in the U.S. and New Zealand. Physicians frequently succumb with misgivings to patients' advertising-driven requests for specific medications. The counter-argument is that patients are educated by such marketing efforts and in many cases will then seek medical care, especially for conditions that they may have been denying (e.g., depression) (Donohue et al., 2007).

The major criticism of drug marketing involves some of the unsavory approaches used to influence physician behavior. Gifts of value (e.g., sports tickets) are now forbidden, but dinners where drug-prescribing information is presented are widespread. Large numbers of physicians are paid as "consultants" to make presentations in such settings. It has been noted that the pharmaceutical companies' sales representatives frequently deliver more pizza and free drug samples than information to a doctor's office. These practices have now been brought squarely into the public view, and acceptance of any gift, no matter how small, from a drug company by a physician, is now forbidden at many academic medical centers and by law in several states (e.g., Vermont and Minnesota).

The board of directors of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) has recently adopted an enhanced code on relationships with U.S. healthcare professionals. This code prohibits the distribution of non-educational items, prohibits company sales representatives from providing restaurant meals to healthcare professionals, and requires companies to ensure that their representatives are trained about laws and regulations that govern interactions with healthcare professionals.

Exploitation or "Medical Imperialism"

There is concern about the degree to which U.S. and European patent protection laws have restricted access to potentially life-saving drugs in developing countries. Because development of new drugs is so expensive, private-sector investment in pharmaceutical innovation naturally has focused on products that will have lucrative markets in wealthy countries such as the U.S., which combines patent protection with a free-market economy. However, to lower costs, companies increasingly test their experimental drugs outside the U.S. and the E.U., in countries such as China, India, Russia, and Mexico, where there is less regulation and easier access to large numbers of patients. If the drug is successful in obtaining marketing approval, consumers in these countries often cannot afford the drugs they helped to develop. Some ethicists have argued that this practice violates the justice principle articulated in The Belmont Report (1979), which states that "research should not unduly involve persons from groups unlikely to be among the beneficiaries of subsequent applications of the research." On the other hand, the conduct of trials in developing nations also frequently brings needed medical attention to underserved populations. Some concerns about the inequitable access to new pharmaceuticals in the very countries where they have been tested have been alleviated by exemptions made to the World Trade Organization's Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) agreement. The TRIPS agreement originally made pharmaceutical product patent protection mandatory for all developing countries beginning in 2005. However, recent amendments have exempted the least developed countries from pharmaceutical patent obligations at least through 2016. Consequently, those developing countries that do not currently provide patent protection for pharmaceutical products can legally import less expensive versions of the same drugs from countries such as India where they are manufactured.

Product Liability

Product liability laws are intended to protect consumers from defective products. Pharmaceutical companies can be sued for faulty design or manufacturing, deceptive promotional practices, violation of regulatory requirements, or failure to warn consumers of known risks. So-called "failure to warn" claims can be made against drug makers even when the product is approved by the FDA. Although the traditional defense offered by manufacturers in such cases is that a "learned intermediary" (the patient's physician) wrote the prescription for the drug in question, the rise of direct-to-consumer advertising by drug companies has undermined this argument. With greater frequency, courts are finding companies that market prescription drugs directly to consumers responsible when these advertisements fail to provide an adequate warning of potential adverse effects.

Although injured patients are entitled to pursue legal remedies when they are harmed, the negative effects of product liability lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies may be considerable. First, fear of liability that causes pharmaceutical companies to be overly cautious about testing also delays access to the drug. Second, the cost of drugs increases for consumers when pharmaceutical companies increase the length and number of trials they perform to identify even the smallest risks, and when regulatory agencies increase the number or intensity of regulatory reviews. To the extent that these price increases may actually reduce the number of people who can afford to buy the drugs, there can be a negative effect on public health. Third, excessive liability costs create disincentives for development of so-called "orphan drugs," pharmaceuticals that would be of benefit to a very small number of patients. Should pharmaceutical companies be liable for failure to warn when all of the rules were followed and the product was approved by the FDA but the unwanted effect was not detected because of its rarity or another confounding factor? The only way to find "all" of the unwanted effects that a drug may have is to market it—to conduct a Phase IV "clinical trial" or observational study. Enlightened self-interest works both ways, and this basic friction between risk to patients and the financial risk of drug development does not seem likely to be resolved except on a case-by-case basis.

The Supreme Court of the U.S. added further fuel to these fiery issues in 2009 in the case Wyeth v. Levine. A patient (Levine) suffered gangrene of an arm following inadvertent arterial administration of the drug promethazine. The health-care provider had intended to administer the drug by so-called intravenous push. The FDA-approved label for the drug warned against but did not prohibit administration by intravenous push. The state courts and then the U.S. Supreme Court held both the health-care provider and the company liable for damages. FDA approval of the label apparently neither protects a company from liability nor prevents individual states from imposing regulations more stringent than those required by the federal government. Perhaps this decision rested more on the intricacies of the law than on consideration of proper medical practice.

"Me Too" versus True Innovation: The Pace of New Drug Development

"Me-too drug" is a term used to describe a pharmaceutical that is usually structurally similar to one or more drugs that already are on the market. The other names for this phenomenon are "derivative medications, "molecular modifications," and "follow-up drugs." In some cases, a me-too drug is a different molecule developed deliberately by a competitor company to take market share from the company with existing drugs on the market. When the market for a class of drugs is especially large, several companies can share the market and make a profit. Other me-too drugs result coincidentally from numerous companies developing products simultaneously without knowing which drugs will be approved for sale.

Some me-too's are simply slightly altered formulations of a company's own drug, packaged and promoted as if it really offers something new. An example of this type of me-too is the heartburn medication esomeprazole, which is marketed by the same company that makes omeprazole. Omeprazole is a mixture of two stereoisomers; esomeprazole contains only one of the isomers and is eliminated less rapidly. Development of esomeprazole created a new period of market exclusivity, although generic versions of omeprazole are marketed, as are branded congeners of omeprazole/ esomeprazole.

There are valid criticisms of me-too drugs. First, it is argued that an excessive emphasis on profit will stifle true innovation. Of the 487 drugs approved by the FDA between 1998 and 2003, only 67 (14%) were considered by the FDA to be new molecular entities. Second, to the extent that some me-too drugs are more expensive than the older versions they seek to replace, the costs of healthcare are increased without corresponding benefit to patients. Nevertheless, for some patients, me-too drugs may have better efficacy or fewer side effects or promote compliance with the treatment regimen. For example, the me-too that can be taken but once a day and not more frequently is convenient and promotes compliance. Some "me-toos" add great value from a business and medical point of view. Atorvastatin was the seventh statin to be introduced to market; it subsequently became the best-selling drug in the world.

Introduction of similar products in other industries is viewed as healthy competition. Such competition becomes most evident in the pharmaceutical business when one or more members of a group loses patent protection. Now that non-proprietary versions of simvastatin are available, sales of atorvastatin are declining. Billions of dollars might be saved, likely with little loss of benefit, if nonproprietary simvastatin were substituted for proprietary atorvastatin, with appropriate adjustment of dosages.

Critics of the pharmaceutical companies argue that they are not innovative and do not take risks and, further, that medical progress is actually slowed by their excessive concentration on me-too products. Figure 1–2 summarizes a few of the facts behind this and some of the other arguments just discussed. Clearly, smaller numbers of new molecular entities have been approved by the FDA over the past decade, despite the industry's enormous investment in research and development. This disconnect has occurred at a time when combinatorial chemistry was blooming, the human genome was being sequenced, highly automated techniques of screening were being developed, and new techniques of molecular biology and genetics were offering novel insights into the pathophysiology of human disease. Some blame mismanagement of the companies. Some say that industry science is not of high quality, an argument readily refuted. Some believe that the low-hanging fruit has been plucked, that drugs for complex diseases, such as neural degeneration or psychiatric and behavioral disorders, will be harder to develop. The biotechnology industry has had its successes, especially in exploiting relatively obvious opportunities that the new recombinant DNA technologies made available (e.g., insulin, growth hormone, erythropoietin, and more recently, monoclonal antibodies to approachable extracellular targets). Despite their innovations, the biotechnology companies have not, on balance, been more efficient at drug invention or discovery than the traditional major pharmaceutical companies.

Figure 1–2.

The cost of drug invention is rising dramatically while productivity is declining. The past several decades have seen enormous increases in spending for research and development by the pharmaceutical industry. While this was associated with increasing numbers of new molecular entities (NMEs) approved for clinical use during the latter years of the 20th century, this trend has been reversed over the past decade, leading to unsustainable costs per new molecular entity approved by the FDA. The peak in the mid-1990s was caused by the advent of PDUFA (see text), which facilitated elimination of a backlog.

Whatever the answers, the trends evident in Figure 1–2 must be reversed (Garnier, 2008). The current path will not sustain today's companies as they face a major wave of patent expirations over the next several years. Acquisition of other companies as a business strategy for survival can be successful for only so long. There are arguments, some almost counter-intuitive, that development of much more targeted, individualized drugs, based on a new generation of molecular diagnostic techniques and improved understanding of disease in individual patients, could improve both medical care and the survival of pharmaceutical companies. Finally, many of the amazing advances in genetics and molecular biology are still very new, particularly when measured in the time frame required for drug development. One can hope that modern molecular medicine will sustain the development of more efficacious and more specific pharmacological treatments for an ever wider spectrum of human diseases.

man, im really surprised that went into goodman & gilman actually. the last bit is pretty funny though

There are arguments, some almost counter-intuitive, that development of much more targeted, individualized drugs, based on a new generation of molecular diagnostic techniques and improved understanding of disease in individual patients, could improve both medical care and the survival of pharmaceutical companies. Finally, many of the amazing advances in genetics and molecular biology are still very new, particularly when measured in the time frame required for drug development.

i remember being told in undergrad that personalised pharmacogenomics was like tops a decade away. "still new compared to how long it takes us these days to find anything that has a real effect and doesn't kill people (or mock up some data that says this)" is a hilarious formulation for putting that off into the future

another goodie from G&G.

legend:
FGA = First generation antipsychotic; cheaper, but has greater risk of extrapyramidal symptoms such as twitching
SGA = Second generation antipsychotic; much more expensive (1 month of Zyprexa can cost hundreds, possibly a thousand dollars) but has less extrapyramidal symptoms in exchange for causing type II diabetes

Pharmacoeconomic Considerations

It is estimated that approximately 80% of individuals suffering their first schizophrenic break will have recurrent episodes and significant lifetime psychosocial dysfunction. In 2004, the direct cost of treating schizophrenia in the United States was estimated to be nearly $23 billion and the total costs were over $62.6 billion.113 The public mental healthcare sector provides the majority of services for individuals with schizophrenia. Mental healthcare costs for schizophrenia represent disproportionate expenditures for crisis intervention and hospitalization as compared with comprehensive outpatient services oriented toward maintaining remission and improving psychosocial functioning. The suboptimal or inadequate funding provided for efficient ambulatory mental health services further increases the demand for hospitalization, which diverts revenues that might be available for outpatient services. This has created a vicious revolving door cycle and is a major challenge facing public mental healthcare.

The advent of more expensive SGAs, accompanied by limited resources, has forced mental healthcare organizations to examine the outcomes and related economics of treating patients with SGAs compared with traditional, largely generic FGAs. Although several retrospective database studies found total mental healthcare cost advantages for SGAs versus FGAs, in the prospective effectiveness study, CATIE, total mental health costs were higher for SGAs than the FGA perphenazine, and these costs were driven by the higher acquisition costs of the SGAs.114 Some studies have shown clozapine to result in lower overall mental healthcare costs, while others have shown no difference in costs compared with FGAs. Additionally, clozapine decreases suicidality more than comparator antipsychotics, and it is more effective in treatment-resistant schizophrenia.115,116

Despite mental health service utilization increasing 65% over the past decade, there has not been a corresponding decrease in the prevalence of mental disorders or in suicidality.117 CATIE is the first prospective comparative effectiveness study to evaluate the clinical outcomes and costs associated with different treatments in schizophrenia. Until we have better information regarding the comparative effectiveness of different treatments and how to best implement these treatments, controversy regarding reimbursement for mental health services, including medication formulary decisions, will continue.

[account deactivated]
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/02/22/44074.htm

Patients Say FDA Lets Big Pharma Create Artificial Drug Shortages

WASHINGTON (CN) - Two dozen people suffering from life-threatening Fabry disease say the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Department of Health and Human Services give drug manufacturers carte blanche to create drug shortages that deny them the medicine that keeps them alive.

Twenty-five people, 13 of them John or Jane Does, sued the agencies in Federal Court on constitutional claims. They also sued the National Institutes of Health, the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, and top officials in the federal agencies.
Most of the plaintiffs say they are being denied interstate access to Fabrazyme, a drug that treats Fabry disease, due to a shortage created by Genzyme, the drug's manufacturer, but not a party to the case.

Lead plaintiff Joseph Carik, who has a doctor's prescription for Fabrazyme, claims: "By and through FDA consent, plaintiff has been banned interstate access to FDA-approved doses of Fabrazyme during a drug shortage created by Genzyme (a Sanofi company) an FDA licensee. Plaintiff is instead forcibly injected with a diluted, unregulated, unapproved dose of Fabrazyme because if the plaintiff refuses infusion of the unapproved dose, then the FDA licensee will withdraw any access and not provide future access to the drug until the shortage is over. The United States defendants have delegated all medical decisions during the shortage regarding plaintiff's disease, life, and health to the sole discretion and control of a corporation regulated by and through grant of an FDA license."

Another plaintiff claims he is being punished because he "switched from the diluted, unregulated, unapproved does of Fabrazyme to an alternative treatment being studied for FDA approval (i.e., Replagal) manufactured by the licensee's competitor. As punishment, plaintiff is banned from future interstate access to FDA-approve doses of Fabrazyme until the FDA licensee, Genzyme (a Sanofi company) declares that shortage is over."

Another plaintiff says she can't get Aquasol A, a drug she needs to treat her vitamin A deficiency, because of "a drug shortage created by FDA licensee, Hospira Corporation."

The complaint states: "At present there exist over 260 concurrent prescription drug shortages in the U.S., far more than any in history.

"Indeed, for every drug shortage that the FDA has averted, two new ones arise.

"The danger of drug shortages to the health and life of American citizens are well known.

"Once a medically necessary drug is placed into interstate commerce, withdrawal of drug from the market results in grievous harm to patients, just as assuredly as withdrawal of oxygen, food, or water for those who have come to rely on such access for survival."

The problem, the plaintiffs say, is that the FDA lets its drug licensees, such as Genzyme and Hospira, decide whether a patient will be treated during a drug shortage. The corporations also may dilute the medication without FDA approval.

"Indeed, FDA licensees causing drug shortages now exercise absolute control over the physical bodies of American citizens who have come to rely on interstate access to a drug needed to treat their diseases," the complaint states.

"Necessarily then, the root cause of every injury from interstate drug shortage (not due to increased demand) is the FDA allowing manufacturers to provide drugs to interstate commerce without backup or safety measures."

The plaintiffs claim: "It would be a simple legal matter for the FDA to intervene during a drug shortage and escrow what little drug is available for interstate distribution with the needs of the people until the licensee returns fully to the interstate market, because the FDA, not FDA licensees, controls the interstate prescription drug market.

"However, the FDA has argued that the FDCA is inadequate to protect against shortages because Congress has delegated complete control of public health during a drug shortage to the company causing the drug shortage.

"The FDA reasons that the agency cannot force a company to manufacture a drug under the FDCA.

"While the FDA's statement is true, the FDA fails to acknowledge that the agency's most powerful enforcement measure has nothing to do with forcing a company to make a drug; the FDA has the power to exclude manufacturers from re-entering the interstate market once U.S. patients have been injured or died due to drug shortages attributable in whole or in part to the actions of FDA licensees."

The defendant Mount Sinai School of Medicine holds the patent to Fabrazyme.

The plaintiffs claim, "The conduct by the United States defendants offends core constitutional protections to be free government-deprivation of a serious nature affecting the life, limb, and liberty of individual citizens."

They seek an injunction ordering the government to take the enforcement actions suggested above, they want the drug companies to disgorge profits unjustly created by drug shortages and fined for creating shortages, and they want the patent for Fabrazyme voided.

They are represented by Thomas Dunlap with Dunlap Grubb.
Fabrazyme is a multiple-hundred-thousand dollar a year treatment. its recombinant alpha-galactosidase. the two dozen patients in that article are probably a signfiicant fraction of fabry sufferers in the states. i briefly worked on MDR1 inhibitors as cheaper adjuncts to recombinant a-galase but it doesnt look like that went anywhere. i think even w/ fabrazyme the dudes (x-linked, most severe in males) die at 40. it doesnt really surprise me that pharma is doing this, its a lucrative but tiny market and the potential to milk more profits by lowering costs (diluting drug) is fucking enormous
i wasn't aware that diluting drugs was even an option. i mean, even if the patient is aware of it and consents, isn't that still adulteration/misbranding?

BoogerTWashington posted:

i wasn't aware that diluting drugs was even an option. i mean, even if the patient is aware of it and consents, isn't that still adulteration/misbranding?

[account deactivated]

i've never worked on the clinical side and have no idea how that would be passed off. as far as i know it'd be adulteration, but i really wouldn't be surprised if they're just straight up adulterating and the FDA is flying air cover

another goodie from G&G.

legend:
FGA = First generation antipsychotic; cheaper, but has greater risk of extrapyramidal symptoms such as twitching
SGA = Second generation antipsychotic; much more expensive (1 month of Zyprexa can cost hundreds, possibly a thousand dollars) but has less extrapyramidal symptoms in exchange for causing type II diabetes

neuroleptics will fuck you up almost as much as schizophrenia does. people should just smoke heavy-ass Kush instead http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16612464

that's more or less how the development of SSRI's has taken place. they were originally promoted as posing less of a risk to patients than tricyclics. there was some truth to that, but if doctors perceive things as posing less of a risk, they're going to prescribe them in cases that they previously would have considered to be more questionable.

who cares about that though, let's all listen to Tom Cruise about what to do

i want to go to the psychiatry: an industry of death museum
i don't want to defend a lot of stuff, esp. involuntary ECT, but if you really Care, some of the first places to look would be Action T4, eugenics in the US, institutionalization, etc. not to mention the good old days of lobotomies or even trepannation.

Edited by dm ()

dm posted:

that's more or less how the development of SSRI's has taken place. they were originally promoted as posing less of a risk to patients than tricyclics. there was some truth to that, but if doctors perceive things as posing less of a risk, they're going to prescribe them in cases that they previously would have considered to be more questionable.

there are really specific regulations in most jurisdictions governing the formulation of any drug though. like if you're a generic manufacturer you can't just say that you've got more-or-less 30mg in this tablet, you have to show bioequivalency with an approved formulation. as a manufacturer you definitely can't change a formulation without reapplication, or it's adulteration. i don't know whether there was a reapplication process here or whether it was waived by the FDA etc, but whatever happened seems like a gross violation of the basic principles to which pharmacologists hold themselves

i'm not sure, but i believe doctors can take measures like diluting a life-saving drug if there is no other option, probably just have to fill out some paperwork because of the emergency. it's still adulteration, but i mean really, as a doctor, what else could you do? the patients may be miserable but they won't die.

pharmaceutical companies don't really have a problem with this scenario. it seems.

shennong posted:

dm posted:

there are really specific regulations in most jurisdictions governing the formulation of any drug though. like if you're a generic manufacturer you can't just say that you've got more-or-less 30mg in this tablet, you have to show bioequivalency with an approved formulation. as a manufacturer you definitely can't change a formulation without reapplication, or it's adulteration. i don't know whether there was a reapplication process here or whether it was waived by the FDA etc, but whatever happened seems like a gross violation of the basic principles to which pharmacologists hold themselves

yeah, there was never a need to show bioequivalency between tryciclics and SSRIs because the latter were an entirely new class of drug that worked very differently. i was just introducing the role of the relationship w/ patients into it. remember that doctors always exercise discretion in prescribing stuff and that's always going to show up in results irrespective of bioequivalency

i'm not sure, but i believe doctors can take measures like diluting a life-saving drug if there is no other option, probably just have to fill out some paperwork because of the emergency. it's still adulteration, but i mean really, as a doctor, what else could you do? the patients may be miserable but they won't die.

pharmaceutical companies don't really have a problem with this scenario. it seems.

yeah, there's all kinds of shit there. approval from insurance providers factors into what they can prescribe too. also, having pharmachat owns

dm posted:

shennong posted:

dm posted:

yeah, there was never a need to show bioequivalency between tryciclics and SSRIs because the latter were an entirely new class of drug that worked very differently. i was just introducing the role of the relationship w/ patients into it. remember that doctors always exercise discretion in prescribing stuff and that's always going to show up in results irrespective of bioequivalency

yeah for sure. my old boss taught med students pharmacodynamics. i think she said they got about a week or so of instruction in pharmacokinetics and another week of pharmacodynamics. my partner occasionally teaches med classes in immunology, similar deal there. they have maybe a month total instruction in phamacology and immune responses to infectious diseases together, it's really really scary

Edited by shennong ()

doctors get tons of pathophys. pharmacists get tons of pharmacology and therapeutics. probably an even amount of medicinal chemistry between them?
[account deactivated]

doctors get tons of pathophys. pharmacists get tons of pharmacology and therapeutics. probably an even amount of medicinal chemistry between them?

this probably depends on the country and the program but most of the medical students i've interacted with have had barely any med. chem, if they have, it was from a prior degree. in any case i'd really like to see prescribing authority granted to pharmacists, that would make a hell of a lot more sense to me

that is kind of the direction that it is going in the united states. there's a gradual move for hospitals to allow for pharmacists to not only reject contraindicated prescriptions form doctors, but in some clinics specialized pharmacists can do some prescribing with supervision. the pharmacists' lobby certainly wants that - possibly out of fear that vending-machine pharmacies are not so far in the future - but their lobby isn't very vigorous.

i have wondered about the class relations within medical practice in countries like the united states, but mostly it's just my own interpretation.

i have wondered about the class relations within medical practice in countries like the united states, but mostly it's just my own interpretation.

id def be interested to hear your thoughts on that

it's not much, really, i don't know if i know enough about class analysis to really make something incisive. doctors and pharmacists are of course petty-bougeoisie; though they command a high wage, it's not because they "own" their expertise, it's because they are licensed by a national certification board. the number of doctors/pharmacists is controlled by boards such as the ACPE which limits the number of colleges that can graduate pharmacists. in this regard, accrediting bodies behave like guilds, and an industrial reserve army cannot form.

much of physicians' prestige emerged from the scientific discoveries of the late 19th century; microbiology and pharmaceuticals, mostly. before then, doctors were paid about as much as any laborer, they didn't do much actual healing (they were doing "heroic therapy"; bleeding medieval style), and if you got sick you were probably better off getting an indian medicine man. there were medical schools, but for the most part they were fly-by-night operations comparable to the university of phoenix or whatever; many graduates basically barely knew anything about the human body. after accreditation came into being, doctors' wages have steadily increased year over year, though i heard from one physician that doctor's wages have decreased relative to inflation since the 70's (could be bunk though).

pharmacists have had some conflicts with physicians in the past. before the 50's, there was no such thing as prescription or "legend" drugs. any kind of drug you wanted could be had at a pharmacy just by asking. (there were some regulations for marijuana, but for the most part medical marijuana was totally legal) at the time, it was possible for people to just go to the pharmacist and ask what the best idea for treatment would be and then they could buy it at the same place. physicians didn't like being cut out of possible profits, and so a law was passed that created Legend drugs. keep in mind, though, that medication use was nowhere near as commonplace as it is today. back then there was more surgery, but not an amount equal to the gap left by the growth of pharmaceutical use.

the growth of insurance companies like BlueCross/BlueShield in the 50's is really boring, and i couldn't stand to read that chapter. however, just in case it bears mentioning, every time in the past hundred years that socialized healthcare has come to the legislature, insurance companies have opposed it. samuel gompers also opposed it because he was worried that union membership (which in some cases included healthcare) would decrease if the government provided healthcare because there would be less reason to unionize. suffice to say, he was an idiot.

i don't know a lot about payments from insurance companies. what i do understand is that part of it goes to doctors and clinical staff, part for the drugs and equipment, and part to the hospital administration. i must admit this is one of the murkier parts of it for me, but i think it's obvious to us all that hospital administration, pharmaceutical companies, and insurance companies are the bourgeoisie in this relationship.

then of course there's the explosion of intellectual property embodied in drugs since the 1970's, and the rise of pharmaceuticals and health care prices since then, but i think we're all duly familiar with that.

so anyway, like i said, it's not very deep just yet, but i hope that was in some way substantial in some way. i should get into this topic more, but i don't really know where to start looking and i have some other priorities to address first. probably somebody with a greater level of expertise could do a better job.
phonepostin' http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/25/health/fda-drug-shortages/index.html?c=&page=0

updated 7:48 AM EDT 07.25.12
Is the FDA to blame for drug shortages?
By Nadia Kounang, CNN

(CNN) - Renee Mosier was one of an estimated half-million patients in the United States who were unable to get the drugs they needed because of shortages.

"You feel like you're in a fight with one hand tied behind your back," said Mosier, 56.

It was a fight she lost in June.

According to the Food and Drug Administration, the number of drug shortages has increased nearly 300% since 2005. More than half of the drugs on the shortage list are considered critical -- meaning they have no alternative. The drugs most often in short supply include anesthetics and oncological drugs.

Mosier was diagnosed in 2006 with ovarian cancer, the fifth-deadliest cancer for women, according to the American Cancer Society.

Surgery and treatment were able to keep her tumors at bay until 2009, when she returned to surgery. She was back in remission until June 2011, when her cancer appeared once again.

Mosier was able to get her required surgery, but her doctor, Dr. Wendel Naumann, was unable to get Doxil, the chemotherapy treatment she needed.

'A huge, growing crisis in this country'

"This is a huge, growing crisis in this country, where we're actually having to ration drugs," said Naumann, who calls it "unbelievable."

In November 2011, Mosier appeared on CNN's "Sanjay Gupta, MD" to share her ordeal. She told Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent, that without Doxil, she had few alternatives.

"At the time we just said, 'Let's go with what we have, and see what happens,' and the cancer pretty rapidly recurred."

Mosier was never able to get another dose of Doxil and spent the last month of her life in hospice care. She was able to make one last trip -- to the Bahamas to attend her daughter's wedding.

In a follow-up interview with Mosier's daughters on this past weekend's "Sanjay Gupta, MD," daughter Michelle Philipp told Gupta, "We weren't sure until even (the) last minute if she was able to come. So we bought her the ticket, hoping it would give her something for her to look forward to, and she did, and it was just wonderful."

On June 29, 2012, Mosier died.

Philipp's sister, Nicole Penninger, didn't hide her frustration with the situation. "You feel like you're in this time now, it's 2012. You feel like, you're in America. Why can't she get these drugs, that she needs to treat something so serious?"

Critical dependence on a few companies

How did it get to this point?

According to Naumann, "We only have a couple of companies, and the problem is that if one of these companies goes down because of FDA inspections, manufacturing problems or something like that, we don't have those drugs if only one company is making them."

The House Oversight Committee came to the same conclusion. In a recent report, the panel claimed the FDA -- the very agency tasked with dealing with shortages -- is partly to blame for the shortage situation.

The report paints a scathing picture of a regulatory agency that gave little consideration to the potential outcome of its actions.

"The committee has learned that FDA regulatory activity has effectively shut down 30% of the total manufacturing capacity at four of America's largest producers of generic injectable medications," it said.

"The FDA has failed to ensure that enforcement and compliance activities are conducted in a manner that does not create unnecessary shortages of critical drugs," according to the House report.

That report is disputed by the FDA.

"Let me just say, very clearly, that the report is incorrect," Dr. Sandra Kweder of the FDA said on "Sanjay Gupta, MD." "We are not in this situation because the FDA is shutting down companies. FDA is part of the solution."

Kweder is the deputy director of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Office of New Drugs.

She said FDA inspection processes and enforcement rules have not changed.

"What has changed is that there is an aging manufacturing infrastructure, and there are serious quality problems that have required companies to close down to fix the problems."

On Monday, the FDA issued a letter to Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Maryland) of the House Oversight Committee, responding to the committee's blaming the FDA for the shortages. The letter reiterated the report was false and emphasized the FDA is part of the solution.

What happened with Doxil

While Doxil is not a generic drug, it was manufactured by Ben Venue Laboratories, one of the country's four largest producers of generic injectables.

The Ben Venue lab was the sole manufacturer of Doxil in the nation. It voluntarily shut down in November 2011.

A May 2011 FDA inspection found a string of problems, including inadequate oversight and metallic particle shards in some of the drugs produced on site.

A November 2011 FDA inspection found additional problems, including finding a 10-gallon can in a storage area that contained urine.

In a statement sent to CNN after it shut down, Ben Venue labs said its team "has been working around the clock to implement changes needed to ensure a more sustained supply of the medicines we produce and to address the manufacturing-related issues at our facility noted in recent inspections by the FDA and other global regulatory agencies."

However, Ben Venue maintained that none of the Doxil supply was affected.

From their findings, the House Oversight Committee found that 58% of the drugs on the shortage list were produced at facilities cited by the FDA. They also found that the FDA's warning letters increased 156% from 2010 to 2011.

Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former FDA deputy commissioner, said the FDA isn't concerned about the outcome, though.

"They go in, they inspect facilities and then they issue findings. You're not asked to worry if there's a stable supply. You're asked to make sure the facility falls in line."

But Kweder says it's quite the opposite. "Well, it's our job to worry about it in our drug shortages team. When we issue warning letters today, we ask companies to very specifically communicate with us how they plan to address the problem, so we can assess what the potential of a shortage is, " she told CNN.

Kweder also cited the recent reauthorization of the Prescription Drug User Fee Act as a key to preventing shortages.

Signed by President Barack Obama earlier this month, the act will help the FDA expedite the drug review process, particularly for drugs in shortage. It will also require companies to notify the FDA if they anticipate an interruption in production.

"It allows us as a regulatory agency to step in, and try and prevent the shortage in the first place," Kweder said. "So for example, we can go to other companies to ask them to increase their production. We can assist companies that are having difficulties to finding alternatives for the difficulties they are having, and even in rare cases, we can seek sources of medications from other countries, where they might be being produced to our standards."

Help comes from abroad

That's actually what happened in the case of Doxil.

In February, the FDA stepped in and allowed the importation of Lipodox from an Indian manufacturer, a possible therapeutic alternative. But Naumann said he was never able to get his hands on it.

"The key is having enough notice," says Kweder. Since Obama signed an executive order requesting early notification from manufacturers in November 2011, more and more companies have been able to give the FDA the needed heads-up.

"We've done that successfully innumerable times. Just since January, at our count, we've prevented 94 to 100 shortages, things the public never sees," Kweder told Gupta.

"I think it's a start," says Naumann, but it's not enough.

"I think these shortages are going to continue because of the same problems that we have. There are certainly fixes out there for it. I don't think these shortages are going to go away because of this bill."

For Mosier's daughters, it's all too late.

Had Mosier gotten the Doxil, Philipp says, "I think she thought it would have at least put her in remission in another time, or it would save her from the chemo that was detrimental to her."