NOTE: this post was initially intended for my home-forum, a fucked up place for Banned Gamers, where saying fail aids might be acceptable, but isn't funny.

have you ever examined our namesake (The PlayStation Underground Comic, the name of the forum)? like, obviously yes it's patently ridiculous that we regularly browse a spinoff website initially centered around comics on the culture of an off-topic sub-board to a video game console's official forums, but even the name of that place itself was perverse: the PlayStation Underground.

It's easy to laugh at messages like the one above, to imagine a crusty mxrider type tip-toeing down to his mailbox , covertly removing the latest PlayStation missive, double-checking his surroundings before opening its contents with ever-widening eyes, then heading On-Line to coordinate with fellow Video Game Truthers on their top-secret plans for the Gaming R.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N., etc etc.

but with that caricature in mind we should also remember that fostering a feeling of "(being) a part of an underground society" is something Sony's CEOs aggressively sought in their marketing. They literally conspired to do this, with deadly seriousness. Millions, billions at stake when you make this edgy logo the face of your company

Just look at how flipping cool that is. The U is all fcked up . It's "UNDERGROUND". wOAH. holY SHit. what does that mean.??

It was another drop in a decades old stream of continually flowing ad campaigns exploiting the very concept of Rebellion itself for profit. some obvious examples of this is how the 'radical' student protests of the 60s and 70s resulted in being able to buy neat tie dye t-shirts at six flags for $12 and PEace trinkets at kohls made with sweat shop labor. twisted incarnations of the devil's music, indie rock and roll, compose the corporate jingles to literally ten thousand different companies selling coffee. che guevara is a logo hung up in campaign offices for the re-election of barack obama, the world's whitest world leader atm.

this all makes one wonder . . . what does it really mean to be "Underground?" in the 1860s or whatever it meant sticking the middle finger to your white slave owner and hitching a ride with Harriet Tubman!! For John Brown, rebellion meant annihilating your political adversaries in cold, righteous blood!!

somewhere along the line some cunning Suit realized people with persecution fetishes--even the slightest ones--would pay big big bucks to stroke that part of our collective dicks that makes us feel like Rude Boys and Girls. The phrase "Rebel Without a Cause" is much more than a trite cliche: it's the truth of our situation today! Most of us are too willing to have a Rebellion without Rebellion! I can't even write this post with an entirely straight tone, can't mention Blood and Rebellion and Causes without cheeeky exclamation marks, as if even I am embarrassed to be saying these words (i am not!)!! Even the narcotizing toys the ruling class sells us to assuage our counter-culture fantasies contain within them mockeries of these fantasies: consider tony hawk's underground.

A very Fun video game by all accounts, but the dastardly element lies in its story/aesthetic. It, like the PlayStation newsletter, cultivates a phony Underground atmosphere. You can graffitti stuff, slap people with your skateboard, even run on foot ('subverting' the classic rules of the previous THPS games!). The story itself is the worst. You're a young man living in a small town who likes to skate, along with your best friend. You go on a skating journey across the globe, filled with fun and Pissing oFF pig Cops, ... but danger lurks. Your best friend falls prey to the Corporation$, signing onto Lame-O $kate teams and taking $ponsorship deals, soon becoming a decrepit little punk who only skates for the money, not the love! So it's up to you, the True Indie Skater, to show him that the underground will always prevail. Fidelity to Truth and sweet ass ollies! Get thOse fuckin pOINTS!!! and the combos too.

mind you, this all takes place in the story mode to a video game series that's sold 30M copies to date, its entire branding founded on the name of the posterboy for skateboarding's capitulation into the mainstream.

but when i played it, i loved it. not just for the gameplay, but also for the bullshit uNdERGrounD aesthetickz . i have to this day fond memories of playing this in my room for hours on end, and it remains one of my favorite video games. it was so fun. the story was really enjoyable. i bought the later games and didnt like them as much because the story, in the skater game, wasn't as compelling as it was in THUG1.

this is our reality, friends. the human element. my favorite movie of all time is the lion king, despite it being a morally reprehensible money machine meant to separate the parents of small children from their hard earned dollars. the human element is the evillest part of this whole fucked up situation, because you can't even call it evil. its too human, just like us. (BONUS: HOW MANY INSTANCES OF "THE HUMAN ELEMENT" CAN YOU DETECT OBFUSCATING THE HORRIFIC REALITIES OF YOUR OWN SOCIAL FABRIC, TASTES, FOND MEMORIES, ETC)

but then it loops right back around to being evil as FUCK because they're aware of this too, that to do their jobs most effectively they'll need to make us Believers, to be Believers themselves, to encourage that human element....a deeper bond with the product....

hence stacking your video game development company with Bro's who love to throw down and game just like you, who just want to make the coolest most fun game possible, and even do upVotes on www.reddit.com.... bacon y'all ha ha ha, cats too, and rAndom Tacos FTW!!! . . . who can call that exploitation? Heh, and just to placate your thirst for revolt, we'll throw in some Hot Cheats To Fuck With The Game....all you gotta do is play the game, normally, within the rules we made, before you toggle the setting, that we gave you, to make the players have Big Ass Heads.

The Revolution Will Be Televised, Right After This Commercial Break. fUcker's.

Edited by tentativelurkeraccount ()

bideogames
the playstation underground & nico from grand theft auto

- unlimited lives: next time you’re waiting for a pc game to install put on Frankie Teardrop in the background then sit facing the screen, watch the little bar go up as alan vega shrieks away. feel your body moving unstoppably forward in time to some horrible destiny you don’t understand while staring at a glowing LCD plane that seems to exist entirely outside of time, churning and breaking it up into an endless succession of tiny interruptions and microevents happening on a timescale totally antithetical to human reference and understanding. feel the allure of this alien form of being as your physical body decomposes and renews and decomposes faster than it renews, as the little bar continues inching along, as the song peaks, grinding your brain against this imaginary wall in search for an opening still implicitly defined as an antithesis to the limits you’ve already internalised, that all these things are related to each other but cannot be tied up in a way which fundamentally changes the nature of each. you now have unlimited lives.

- x-gun: enter a1Ond9Hskk on the title screen to get the x-gun.

libelous_slander posted:

bideogames

dideo james

skimmed for ff7 references, found lacking
ok i actually read the op now and i aint got SHIT to say other than this being one of those capitalism creating the tools of its own downfall things - see: London in the summer of 2011 as young men and women run laughing from shattered shop fronts with armfuls of trainers and dvd cases, just doing it and challenging everything and so on
Advertising is the most advanced and efficacious social science.
gin blossoms!!!!! and fucking toad tws. dang
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
wait is there a band called ulililililililia now or is he
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

the Strokes Again haha it took me this long to really sink that is fake ahha, that rules

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

tentativelurkeraccount posted:

tpaine posted:

the Strokes Again haha it took me this long to really sink that is fake ahha, that rules

lmao

im literally dumb because i saw that almost instantly and my first reaction was "nice to see coachella/korn have a sense of humor!"

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Sick Delts Bro
the surviving members of Bell Biv Devoe
[account deactivated]
hat tip to a hot russian
[account deactivated]
Hat tip to more
[account deactivated]

tentativelurkeraccount posted:

tpaine posted:

thats what tipped me of to