http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/21/world/asia/prince-harry-afghanistan-foster/index.html

(CNN) -- Britain's Prince Harry has acknowledged that he killed Taliban insurgents on his latest tour of duty in Afghanistan as a crew member of an Apache attack helicopter.

Harry has been serving for four months as a co-pilot gunner (CPG) in southern Helmand province -- considered a Taliban heartland -- and flew on scores of missions with the trigger to rockets, missiles and a 30mm cannon at his fingertips.

No one is saying how many insurgents Harry might have killed but toward the end of his deployment, the 28-year-old, known to his comrades as Captain Wales, shared some of his feelings about combat with reporters while on duty in the massive military base known as Camp Bastion. He said it was sometimes justified to "take a life to save a life. That's what we revolve around, I suppose."

Harry explained how the roles of Apaches and CPGs have changed since his previous deployments in 2007 and 2008. "It used to be very much: front seat, you're firing the whole time.

"Now, yes we fire when we have to but essentially we're more of a deterrent than anything else.

"Our job out here is to make sure the guys are safe on the ground and if that means shooting someone who is shooting at them, then we will do it," said the prince, third in line to the British throne.

"It's not the reason I decided to do this job. The reason to do this job was to get back out here, and carry on with a job."

Away from his helicopter, the prince mixed freely on base, eating in the canteen with everyone else and relaxing by playing video games with others in the 130-strong 662 Squadron, 3 Regiment Army Air Corps (AAC). With those comrades, he was just "one of the guys."

In contrast to his privileged upbringing in palaces and an education at Eton College, the prince lived in a shared room within shipping containers converted into an accommodation block. He said he was free to stroll around the base, to visit the gym or the laundry. "It's completely normal," Harry added.

But he said he still received unwanted attention in more public places. "For me it's not that normal because I go into the cookhouse and everyone has a good old gawp, and that's one thing that I dislike about being here," he said.

"Because there's plenty of guys in there that have never met me, therefore look at me as Prince Harry and not as Captain Wales, which is frustrating.

"Which is probably another reason why I'd love to be out in the PBs (patrol bases), away from it all.

"But yeah, it's completely normal. It's as normal as it's going to get. I'm one of the guys. I don't get treated any differently."

His deployment meant he could step back from the public eye, although he said his father, the heir to the British throne Prince Charles, often reminded him of his position. Harry admitted he had "let himself and his family down" when he was photographed naked at a party in a Las Vegas hotel last year.

He also expressed frustration about the media. Referring to the TV producer whom he was addressing, he said: "I never wanted you guys to be out here, but there was an agreement made to invite you out on the deal that the media didn't speculate before my deployment. That's the only reason you guys are out here."

Harry appeared happier talking about his military role: building up the Afghan National Army, the ANA, so it can eventually take over.

"It's great to see the ANA taking more of a lead in things as well. And the professionalism is definitely shining through."

That's something his superiors in the army might say of the prince himself.
[account deactivated]
Please dont insult the british monarchy goatston
but he's so dreamy!
[account deactivated]
her brother was a healer and should be celebrated.
most of the Troop apologists i run into on the internet are not actual Troops. about half the Troops apologizing for their actions claim to be medics, which seems unlikely until you realize that most the ones deployed in other roles are either too ashamed to argue or too busy starting fires and torturing small animals to be bothered with internet arguments. point being, they claim that their role as a medic should make them immune from criticism. first counterargument is the mob doctor counterargument which won't be repeated here. second is the fact that medics in the military are not pacifists. they carry guns and fire those guns at people too. less so than infantry, but moreso than people who aren't murderers for hire

Edited by Goethestein ()

My gf was watching Extra or ET or some bullshit one night and there was a segment on how Prince William skipped a New Years Eve party because he was a helicopter rescuer or something in the North Sea and he went on some daring mission to rescue this guy who was walking his dog on a boardwalk and was swept into the sea, it went on and on about how brave he was and how he didn't have to risk his life to save people, but it was his duty, etc. Then as an afterthought at the end the host was like "The man swept into the sea was not found" hahaha

discipline posted:

had an awkward moment yesterday when a family friend was telling me how she lost her brother in iraq as a medic and thought of you, goatstein. Just sortA sat there not saying anything lol

my awkward moment was on saturday when i was ranting to my family members and a man i've never met before (my aunt's brother) about the evils of capitalism and the horrible economic inequality in this country. i told myself before i went that i wouldn't get into this but something about the phrase entitlement society just triggers me

going to go stitch together a republican tricolour now

except everyone will be like "why are you flying the flag of hungary" GOD I HATE THIS COUNTRY WE DONT EVEN HAVE OUR OWN FLAG OF REVOLUTION
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

discipline posted:

had an awkward moment yesterday when a family friend was telling me how she lost her brother in iraq as a medic and thought of you, goatstein. Just sortA sat there not saying anything lol

her brother gave his life so you could post on these forums and make a your little snide observations.

that was vilerat actually

[account deactivated]
that and all the space stations
It's so cold outside, I actually saw a Democrat with his hands in his OWN pockets.
CAMP BASTION, AFGHANISTAN—Completing his four-month tour of duty in Afghanistan, Prince Harry of Wales admitted in interviews this week to having killed a number of “Taliban-looking people” while serving with the British Army Air Corps. “They were definitely dressed pretty Taliban-y, wearing those scarves and robe things, and they were speaking that al-Qaeda-sounding language,” Queen Elizabeth II’s 28-year-old grandson said of the Afghan insurgents he shot and killed while co-piloting an Apache helicopter to provide air support for ground forces. “Who else could it have been? It’s Afghanistan. They’re all over this place in their dirty Taliban homes. Those Taliban kids are hard to hit, by the way—they’re quick.” Upon returning home, Harry, who is third in line to the British throne, reported sighting numerous Taliban insurgents working in shops, running businesses, and walking around London in plain view.

Meursault posted:

My gf was watching Extra or ET or some bullshit one night and there was a segment on how Prince William skipped a New Years Eve party because he was a helicopter rescuer or something in the North Sea and he went on some daring mission to rescue this guy who was walking his dog on a boardwalk and was swept into the sea, it went on and on about how brave he was and how he didn't have to risk his life to save people, but it was his duty, etc. Then as an afterthought at the end the host was like "The man swept into the sea was not found" hahaha

My girlfriend is about to get a felony.

Meursault posted:

My gf was watching Extra or ET or some bullshit

that feel when dumb gf

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

THANK YOU

Im sick of this bullshit where the royal family has to go fight in the wars that parliament got the country into as a false gesture of egalitarianism. what are tony blairs kids doing
i'm never having kids
[account deactivated]
It's cool that we can get british royalty to die for Bush's Oil Profits
this was in the recced vid section on that jewtube

england sucks just so so much
americans are slaves who think they're free
brits are slaves who understand that completely and have to be abused every day to validate their existence

Lykourgos posted:

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

THANK YOU

dude you totally missed phalanxchat

probably for the best tho it would have made you pr. mad i bet

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

its the best bc you cant get bread or milk like ours anywhere else

cleanhands posted:

its the best bc you cant get bread or milk like ours anywhere else

yeah and summers were hotter and policeman are getting shorter. it's pc gone made and i'm sick of foreigners changing the face of the country so i'm going to move to the costa brava and open a jellied eel store

ok i havent been beyond western europe and eastern usa but it's true for those places (unlike the usual brit moan re 'proper cup of tea')

americans are slaves who think they're free
brits are slaves who understand that completely and have to be abused every day to validate their existence

and australians are free but have a life expectancy of 16 because of insect venom

the fundamental antagonism of our age is islam and western cultural imperialism. so what's all this marxism bullshit for?