if you're not being paid to go to school at the graduate level and have a full ride in undergrad, you did it wrong
I errr did it wrong
its easy dude just get born into a life of privilege, go to elite primary schools, learn good study habits from your highly educated overachiever parents, get a nice resume of extracurriculars in your free time, and ace the SAT after months of $100/hr prep.
it's easier to pay some kid a grand to take your sats and ace them for you.

Aspie_Muslim_Economist_ posted:

its easy dude just get born into a life of privilege, go to elite primary schools, learn good study habits from your highly educated overachiever parents, get a nice resume of extracurriculars in your free time, and ace the SAT after months of $100/hr prep.

alternately grow up poor but be kinda good at math

also if you can't get at least a 1300 on the sat with little or no prep you probably should rethink that whole postsecondary education thing. we really do set the bar way too low

Edited by peepaw ()

peepaw posted:

Aspie_Muslim_Economist_ posted:

alternately grow up poor but be kinda good at math

also if you can't get at least a 1300 on the sat with little or no prep you probably should rethink that whole postsecondary education thing. we really do set the bar way too low

Clearly the problem with education is a lack of achievement and aptitude and not at all related to the educational system or the airtight cage of poverty.

maybe poor people tend to be stupider than average, and thus have stupider children

Goethestein posted:

maybe poor people tend to be stupider than average, and thus have stupider children

we could easily resolve that question; take children from different economic backgrounds, and raise them in captivity. Give them an equal upbringing, and see how it goes. Psammetichos did something similar so it's time our government GOT OFF ITS ARSE AND DID SOMETHING FOR A CHANGE

jk. smash crapitalism
[account deactivated]
SAT question 420: Spinnaker:mainsail as fairway: ?

Having a problem, poor fucks? maybe you should have done some reading instead of smoking the reefer all day as poors are won't to do. Btw the correct answer is sand trap. Memorize that and you might have a chance.
thats a canard, its just as easy for poor people to read books from the library about yachting and golf as it is for judge smails nephew spaulding

Lykourgos posted:

Goethestein posted:

we could easily resolve that question; take children from different economic backgrounds, and raise them in captivity. Give them an equal upbringing, and see how it goes. Psammetichos did something similar so it's time our government GOT OFF ITS ARSE AND DID SOMETHING FOR A CHANGE

well really all children should be raised in captivity

stegosaurus posted:

sand trap

actually its called a bunker

if you dont know your golf terminology you deserve to fail in life
if i were in charge we would ban golf terminology, and golf
golf owns and you can get a set of used irons less than $10 and play a lot of par 3 courses (theyre usually free) making it probably the cheapest sport to play and therefore the most ideologically correct
it's not a "sport"
my high school's golf team had shirts that said "Golf IS a Sport" in one of those rad 90s freeware distressed x-treme fonts they use on big dogs shirts

like okay if you say so fellas
Golf IS a Sport!!!!

AND SO IS SHUTTING THE HELL UP

WRESTLING'S NOT FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

DildoMalone posted:

golf owns and you can get a set of used irons less than $10 and play a lot of par 3 courses (theyre usually free) making it probably the cheapest sport to play and therefore the most ideologically correct

which is more ideologically correct, golf courses in phoenix arizona sucking down aquifers or golf courses in, like, oregon where they had to clear cut 150 acres of oak for the space

swampman posted:

DildoMalone posted:

which is more ideologically correct, golf courses in phoenix arizona sucking down aquifers or golf courses in, like, oregon where they had to clear cut 150 acres of oak for the space

well nobody should be living in arizona and i dont really see how making a golf course which has trees and water and shit is in any way worse environmentally than building a football stadium with huge parking lots or suburbs and shit like that also dont you live in a huge city where nature was completely paved over in favor of colossal monuments to teh glory of capitalism

sure, most golf courses are built in otherwise unusable areas and sure they generally make use of the existing terrain features with no major modifications except mowing the grass regularly and at varying lengths but you see arizona
arizona, once teeming with plant and animal life, has been reduced to a barren wasteland full of old people and this is all the fault of golf courses. its plentiful aquifers are no more and its all becuase of totally sick drives
Gorbachev's Most Significant Legacy?

On 15 September 1987, the first stone of the first golf course in the USSR was placed by famous Swedish hockey player, former world champion Sven Tumba. The same day, Pelé, Tumba, Sean Connery and Alexander Ragulin made symbolic strokes with golf clubs. In 1988, at the Moscow City Golf Club (MCGC) on Dovzhenko Street, the first driving range was opened. And after two years of construction in the heart of Moscow, the first 9-hole golf course was opened and ready for play.

DildoMalone posted:

sure, most golf courses are built in otherwise unusable areas and sure they generally make use of the existing terrain features with no major modifications except mowing the grass regularly and at varying lengths but you see arizona

arizona isn't the only state with water shortage issues. and don't be thick, i'm not saying "oh golf courses, if only the land had gone to pasture or some other human use instead." the land should not be used.

there are very few if any golf courses that are built by demolishing 150 acres of trees though and anything like that would be way out of the ordinary. most are built where theres already some kind of development or there is otherwise no major impact to the environment. there are actually rules about where they can put the things! also i dont really see why its a golf course of all fucking things that would get you worked up compared to literally any other kind of development. and as for places with water shortages lol you got me dude they should ban golf because some idiot planted grass in the fucking desert
sory dildo malone. but u got served your just desserts

Edited by ilmdge ()

wowi am sorry i wa swrong

DildoMalone posted:

wowi am sorry i wa swrong

DildoMalone posted:

there are very few if any golf courses that are built by demolishing 150 acres of trees though and anything like that would be way out of the ordinary. most are built where theres already some kind of development or there is otherwise no major impact to the environment. there are actually rules about where they can put the things! also i dont really see why its a golf course of all fucking things that would get you worked up compared to literally any other kind of development. and as for places with water shortages lol you got me dude they should ban golf because some idiot planted grass in the fucking desert

i'm not worked up. the thread is about how stupid and wasteful golf is and i'm voicing my agreement. the amount of open, empty space devoted to individual and small group solitude in golf makes it inherently elitist. not everyone can play golf because there isn't room on all the golf courses for everyone to be playing golf every weekend. the cost of golf is high even if the equipment and course access is free, because you need to live in a place that can afford to install a golf course or attract private investment to the same purpose, and that has the open space necessary for a golf course to exist. this does take significant maintenance beyond mowing the grass - sprinkler systems need to be kept running, bunkers and ponds have to be landscaped, trees trimmed, greens resod. i think it's idiotic to suggest golf as a "game for everyone" when soccer has been doing pretty well at that for the last several decades. that's all. thanks for listening.

[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

DildoMalone posted:

i'm not worked up. the thread is about how stupid and wasteful golf is and i'm voicing my agreement. the amount of open, empty space devoted to individual and small group solitude in golf makes it inherently elitist. not everyone can play golf because there isn't room on all the golf courses for everyone to be playing golf every weekend. the cost of golf is high even if the equipment and course access is free, because you need to live in a place that can afford to install a golf course or attract private investment to the same purpose, and that has the open space necessary for a golf course to exist. this does take significant maintenance beyond mowing the grass - sprinkler systems need to be kept running, bunkers and ponds have to be landscaped, trees trimmed, greens resod. i think it's idiotic to suggest golf as a "game for everyone" when soccer has been doing pretty well at that for the last several decades. that's all. thanks for listening.

ii disagree with your opinion however i think your opiniono is valid and well reasoned lets never fight again

a few years ago hugo promised to nationalize golf courses and build social housing on them and everyone flipped their shit. good troll.
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

a few years ago hugo promised to nationalize golf courses and build social housing on them and everyone flipped their shit. good troll.

yeah thatd be a terrible place to have a house your stuff would get hit all the time and the buildings would be a lame hazard

DildoMalone posted:

yeah thatd be a terrible place to have a house your stuff would get hit all the time and the buildings would be a lame hazard

that's why they ultimately decided to cancel the project.

theres as many free golf courses as there are chris dorners.