[account deactivated]
spending two years out of work is a good way to torpedo a career and future employability prospects, so once again the wisdom of strict traditional gender roles is apparent
[account deactivated]
men want a woman who works because a dual income leads to a much more pleasant lifestyle for all involved to the point of being a near-necessity in most cases
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

I think it would be cool to do two years where I am employed and the partner stays home, then two years where they are employed and I stay home. rinse and repeat.

discipline posted:

how's that goatstein

supporting two people (plus crotchspawn) on a combined income of $80,000 a year, or $60,000, or $40,000, is substantially easier than doing so on 40, 30 or 20.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

I didn't say it would be easy. but then again I'd rather have a really nice home life than a lot of money to buy servants.

practically speaking, the choice is probably less between 'servants' vs. 'no servants' as much as 'decent place to live' vs. 'hovel'

you dont need private tutors unless your child is some kind of simpleton

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the cost of paying for cooking, mending, and growing-food-as-a-hobby is negligible in comparison to the loss of even a 20k a year salary

discipline posted:

people weren't making much more adjusted for price over time back when someone used to stay at home. but it was possible to live somewhat comfortably anyway. hmm I wonder why

Wife-beating, lots of alcohol, proximity of relatives, and limited opportunities

[account deactivated]
i used that top picture because i thought cookie monster and oscar the grouch represented myself and discipline well, as has been established, given the fact that i eat figurative garbage and she eats literal garbage.
its a bit of a daft tangent since their are enough hours in a week for a part time job and sharing household responsibilities which is basically the way its done by most working class households under capitalism and aside from that the entire set of points changes depending on class background of family

also nice post, integrating household work into society would probably be one of the most singularly progressive moves out their and keeping a proper analysis of that is key to keeping the discussion grounded in class relations as much as gender
i think marx was onto something when he proposed the abolition of the family, certainly more work needs to be done with the idea but he did make good ground by having a child out of wedlock with the family maid
that seems like a more long term project since by and large household are a more fundamental economic unit then the individual and undercutting that would be redonk

just a good idea to make those households more integrated and make everyone remember that individual is dumbo

discipline posted:

Goethestein posted:

the cost of paying for cooking, mending, and growing-food-as-a-hobby is negligible in comparison to the loss of even a 20k a year salary

actually that's about what hiring someone to look after your kids, eating out, buying your veg at the store and having to buy new clothes all the time will cost you annually

nope

Goethestein posted:

nope

non dickheads try to juggle household life and surviving under capitalism?

their isn't some formula where the lady HAS to work exactly its just nice to have both folks getting some income in where possible and usually that ends up being a 1:0 ratio of work to not work because the capitalism and careers are setup to makesure that women get fucked over by gender roles and household work plus as i said more commonly its like a 1:0.4 as the lady does a part time job

its really weird to make it something beyond that because that is all it is and your saying just to make some weird ultra rational point

p.s. also nope takes no account for class you gubbins your point only makes a quarter bit of sense for people who are made up of poshness and age to the right extent they can earn more then all the lark you miss by having both people working

the enforced co-dependent synergy of traditional gender role specialization results in the optimal cohesive family structure, and also establishes a marriage timeline/continuum in which as eros gradually diminishes, it evolves into an ever-strengthening agápe grounded in the practical and mundane
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

Goethestein posted:

actually that's about what hiring someone to look after your kids, eating out, buying your veg at the store and having to buy new clothes all the time will cost you annually

it's a lot more than that, but it's silly to commodity a wife as gouchestein is doing

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

I was like no mom lol that's how people have been doing it for millennia and how most people live in the world.

this is how i explained to my mom that i was no longer using toilet paper

discipline posted:

I told my mother I wanted her to come live with me once I started a family

prob one to keep out of the okc profile

discipline posted:

I told my mother I wanted her to come live with me once I started a family and she was like oh wow communal living? and I was like no mom lol that's how people have been doing it for millennia and how most people live in the world. the two-parent 2.5 kid household is really new

my mother in law has been living with us for a few months now. its p great having someone cook every meal, clean everything, and do any other chores we can think of.

russia sounds cool. your mother lives with you and cooks all the food when you have company over, and you pay for your kids to move out if they decide they want to move out, but normally they dont and everyone lives together as a big happy family together for several decades, and as a teen it isnt awkward bringing girls or dudes back to your stinky room because no one gives a shit about premarital sex.

discipline posted:

I told my mother I wanted her to come live with me once I started a family and she was like oh wow communal living? and I was like no mom lol that's how people have been doing it for millennia and how most people live in the world. the two-parent 2.5 kid household is really new

Not in america though. We got to be independent and have solid parent and children only housing due to our high rate of infant mortality and short lifespan. Life is better when everyones dying

make me a pool im the motherfuckkin basement
In defense of homomakers.

1. Nobody has ever proven that the gay agenda exists. This is right wing fantasy. Nobody wants to make your kid gay.

2. If they did, would that be so bad? Gays, as a group, enjoy the highest average living standards of any group in America. Maybe it's ok to be gay.

3. Legally under obama, one of your children MUST be gay.
1 income living in the year 2000 lol
i don't see very many feasible (eg bougie enough for my tastes) work scenarios where one partner can just work for 2 years and then quit and vice versa. any fulfilling job is probably the kind of career where that doesn't fly. so if you are choosing between a fulfilling job and a family, you pick the option where one partner does all the housework, ie the traditional family (except maybe the stay at home dad, but then he faces horrible stigmas as you posted)
my mom cooked every night for probably 25 years for a family of 6, and only transitioned to a job again after most of us were in college to help pay for it. i think the traditional family structure is pretty sweet as well, if my parents weren't moral tightasses it would have been great. we even sat down to dinner and said grace every night, dinner didn't start until everybody was there, etc. it was horrible.
ASK me about being raised in the 1950s.