tpaine posted:

drwhat posted:
lol

it's cool posting through a time warp with early 90s billy corgan

the world truly is a vampire

i feel like if i was successful i would be a humorously self-ruining character like billy crogan

what would you be succesful as

I am imagining news stories "tpaine, the world renowned formus poster"

"was found dead today in his west end london apartment in a bathtub full of lukewarm oatmeal. he was 27."

double the posting double the fun
[account deactivated]
it's the celebrity suicide age tho. if you die at 27 you achieve everlasting life through targetted merchandising
i find it hard to envision that there are many posters older than me, and I turn 29 tomorrow.. oh wait, today

fuck
[account deactivated]
it is
Im 17 and i can pray harder than you

discipline posted:

It's pretty cool how atheists are trying to recreate community,

yeah i thought the loss of dan harmon was a real blow to the show

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
he posts in D&D
I read one of mccaines papers and he starts it with "the world is a vampire"

Edited by stegosaurus ()

stegosaurus posted:

I read one of mccaines papers and he starts it with "the world is a vampire"

i am pretty sure the epigraph for his thesis will be "Time flows like a river, history repeats"

"God is empty, just like me" - Nietzsche

discipline posted:

I said last time I checked johns didn't need women's bodies to live

Didn't you also say that Sex worker unions are essentially front groups for Yakuza and Camorra white slavers?

discipline posted:

happy birthday drwhat

thanks discipline and upvoter(s)

today is the greatest ...

[account deactivated]

drwhat posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

What I’m saying is that atheism has had many hundreds of years in which to assert itself as the true heir to humanity’ future. Yet here in 2013, in one of the most secular and intellectually rich nations of the world, they’re reduced to stealing millennia-old ideas from organizations they despise as being “backwards”.

it seems to me that what they're doing is explicitly acknowledging that religious organizations have positive community impact and they are attempting to organize in such a way that reuses traditions from churches without having to found them on god. the alternative would be what, trying to de-god existing religion from within?

it's too bad for them I suppose that in the process they are making you feel embarrassed. perhaps if you tell them about it they'll offer you a cookie

do you think thats what the meetings will actually be like. i think it's probably obese awkward atheists smugly aping religious traditions while winking ironically. best case scenario it's like a meet-up for ardent atheists to talk about their atheism which i can't imagine much that's more noxious

do you think thats what the meetings will actually be like. i think it's probably obese awkward atheists smugly aping religious traditions while winking ironically. best case scenario it's like a meet-up for ardent atheists to talk about their atheism which i can't imagine much that's more noxious

If anything about it is actually ironic in practice then yes burn the whole thing down or if the focus is "aren't we special let's talk about how great atheism is"

so I guess I'm defending the ideal case of everyone is totally sincere and just there to discuss community issues and maybe current events and maybe some sort of humanist moral viewpoint on things and then sing a dumb song and eat some sandwiches after. which is still probably pretty dumb but doesn't seem prima facie totally reprehensible or anything

yeah that would be kind of interesting but i tihnk it's a bit optimistic
speaking seriously though, the last thing the world needs is more atheists convening and being active in society

drwhat posted:

If anything about it is actually ironic in practice then yes burn the whole thing down or if the focus is "aren't we special let's talk about how great atheism is"

so I guess I'm defending the ideal case of everyone is totally sincere and just there to discuss community issues and maybe current events and maybe some sort of humanist moral viewpoint on things and then sing a dumb song and eat some sandwiches after. which is still probably pretty dumb but doesn't seem prima facie totally reprehensible or anything

Yes I’m sure a bunch of north London comedian atheists are starting their own ‘church’ in a way that is completely free of winking irony.

[account deactivated]
ironically stali nwas doing gods work when he suppressed the russian orthodox church.