snipe
snopes

SariBari posted:

i don't understand this feeling, i never have this feeling. where is their dignity??? what do you for a living? is this some internalized isht? i always just feel like, goddamn things must be fucking ROUGH for them right now.

also on how to speak to low/minimum wage workers. i think it's empowering, esp for the all the fast food workers who are currently being organized around the country, to know that millions of americans depend on them all day. lazy ass franchise owners depend desperately on them. without the accessibility of fast food, coffee, and cleaning on demand, large portions of the U.S. would go nuts. corporations will find scabs and stuff like they do with janitor strikes but it inconveniences people to such a degree that they actually think about the wage being disputed for the walk out/strike.

i feel that way when the job is shitty, but imo this just doesn't even compare. this isn't even a job, this is like a pawning your time and dignity for cash. there was another dude on the road today who seemed a little bit more upbeat in that he was pacing back and forth and waving two fingers. i guess the kid didnt last.

Like 6 years ago I had to dress up as an elf and wave a sign next to the freeway for a few weeks to advertise the holiday sales at the Kmart I worked at. It was humiliating (and cold), but I didn't want to lose my job. I think bhpn pretty much covered it--the need to survive and social pressures are more than adequate incentives to work even the worst job. For me, being unemployed would have been more humiliating.

At one point some teenagers in a red convertible pulled up next to me, the driver told me I'd failed at life, and they peeled out, cackling. Good times.

parabolart posted:

i feel that way when the job is shitty, but imo this just doesn't even compare. this isn't even a job, this is like a pawning your time and dignity for cash. there was another dude on the road today who seemed a little bit more upbeat in that he was pacing back and forth and waving two fingers. i guess the kid didnt last.

Aspie_Muslim_Economist_ posted:

Like 6 years ago I had to dress up as an elf and wave a sign next to the freeway for a few weeks to advertise the holiday sales at the Kmart I worked at. It was humiliating (and cold), but I didn't want to lose my job. I think bhpn pretty much covered it--the need to survive and social pressures are more than adequate incentives to work even the worst job. For me, being unemployed would have been more humiliating.

At one point some teenagers in a red convertible pulled up next to me, the driver told me I'd failed at life, and they peeled out, cackling. Good times.

parabolart posted:

i'm sorry this happened to you, dawg. i'm glad/hoping you are onto something less degrading now? also, don't feel bad about taking an unemployment check ever. you're ENTTTTIIITLED to it and you are putting money back into the economy or keeping a roof over your head still by using it.

SariBari posted:

i'm glad/hoping you are onto something less degrading now?

i'm afraid not, he's an economist now.

*spins the is-lm model into the sickest equilibrium yet observed*
i misunderstood this thread the first time because i was FUCKED UP son but jesus christ dude are you so far removed from poverty that u literally have no conception of not having money and then doing stuff for money so you dont starve to death?????

Edited by enayeneh ()

hmm. im flat broke and buried in debt and my family is starving but No, i dont think i'll take this humiliating job because Dignity yea right lmao dignity is bullshit

enayeneh posted:

hmm. im flat broke and buried in debt and my family is starving but No, i dont think i'll take this humiliating job because Dignity yea right lmao dignity is bullshit

dignity and honour are more important than survival.
not all of us hate being alive donald

littlegreenpills posted:

not all of us hate being alive donald

actually i love life, and to laugh, and having parents that have money, therefore i have dignity and life.

i don't really think brother op was victim blaMing. i hope not. b/c that would be really dumb. but i don't think so

thirdplace posted:

i don't really think brother op was victim blaMing. i hope not. b/c that would be really dumb. but i don't think so

k dawg, how did you read this:

i asked my self what the fuck. how can you lower yourself this far. where is your dignity, i thought as i drove on in my minivan leaking transmission fluid everywhere. where is it?

?

he didn't elaborate and say that he answered his own question by coming to the conclusion that life under capitalism is barbarism and leaves many without options or feeling they have no options.

to my fellows in the South, please remember summer is coming and to give these young men and women water or cash if you can when passing their WE SELL GOLD/uncle sam/lady liberty displays. also maybe throw shit at the windows of the businesses who temporarily employ them?

SariBari posted:

k dawg, how did you read this:

i asked my self what the fuck. how can you lower yourself this far. where is your dignity, i thought as i drove on in my minivan leaking transmission fluid everywhere. where is it?

?

he didn't elaborate and say that he answered his own question by coming to the conclusion that life under capitalism is barbarism and leaves many without options or feeling they have no options.

i guess i just assumed that if you post that on the rhizzone and ask "what would marx say" that you're able to get at least that far. i like to see the best in people tho, it sometimes leads me astray

Edited by thirdplace ()

dignity is for rich ass motherfuckers and dumbasses - me, put this on a bumper sticker
who the hell is actually checking up on these guys. what's stopping them from ditching the stupid costume and jerking off or something

enayeneh posted:

dignity is for rich ass motherfuckers and dumbasses - me, put this on a bumper sticker

but it shouldn't be. it's really the least justifiable aspect of capitalism. liberal motherfuckers insist you gotta have exploitation to make iphones, but even they can't say with a straight face that you gotta poop on people's faces to make iphones. it's not systemic, its not instrumental, it's just what happens when you give small minded ambitious men and women power over others and an ideology to justify it

Edited by thirdplace ()

enayeneh posted:

honour and pride have been virtues since the beginning of society, it's only in capitalism that everyone has swallowed lies that nothing but bare survival matters. i mean, people often disguise vanity as dignity "why should i shovel pig shit, i'm too good for this!" but that's ultimately honest, necessary labour. being the equivalent of a modern day dancing bear isn't necessary for anyone. i mean, dogs are treated with more dignity than that in america. imagine if someone dressed up their dog and tied them up outside in the middle of the winter or summer, you would have a million concerned citizens calling in about what a pointless display of cruelty that is.

it doesn't really make me want to shop at that store
thanks for pointing out a flaw in my Posting Clarity i thought you'd assume as far but if you think dressing up as lady liberty for some shitbag tax services business has to do purely with survival and that the word Dignity should just be wiped out of hte fuckign dictionary, we can agree to disagree. but to clarify, the only reason i would react in such a way is if i had myself approached that brink of disgusting employment. it's not victim blaming, it's like wishing him better luck, the poor fucker can do better, i'm sure, even if he's struggling. i was merely trying to provide an example of the cruelty of capitalism. and if you're Anima Morte enough to misunderstand brotherhood i feel bad for you Son
agreed: walmart is always hiring and that job carries with it a lot of dignity, like all minimum wage jobs. what they don't give you in salary they give you in feelings of self worth.

parabolart posted:

if you think dressing up as lady liberty for some shitbag tax services business has to do purely with survival

pray tell what the fuck else could it be

littlegreenpills posted:

who the hell is actually checking up on these guys. what's stopping them from ditching the stupid costume and jerking off or something

dignity

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Aspie_Muslim_Economist_ posted:

haha. At least I only had to hold a sign. It made for a good shield against teen-launched projectiles.