A simple question and yet a complex one. Discuss.
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

Because you touch yourself at night.

So you're of the opinion that they hate us for our freedom. Who do you think are the "they" in this assertion and to what extent do you think that the operation in Iraq was aimed at tackling this ideology? Obviously the invasion and subsequent chaos proved to be a a breeding ground for islamist repression and moral fundamentalism of the kind you're referring to and I suppose my question is; did the neoconservative engineers of the war expect this to happen or was it genuine incompetence and ignorance.

to establish a permanent military presence on the southern flank of the soviet union to maintain geostrategic global hegemony
to spark off democratic revolution across the middle east lol what a stupid cunt bush was to imagine that would be successful
anybody who says anything negative about George W. Bush in this thread will be banned. edward has just been put on notice.
obv to get money son!!!!

[account deactivated]
http://cosmos.ucc.ie/cs1064/jabowen/IPSC/articles/article0005345.html
http://www.historycommons.org/entity.jsp?entity=oded_yinon
http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/texts/mcantiwar.html

stegosaurus posted:

i prefer the MTWist policy of supporting counter hegemonic blocs against US aggression regardless of their internal flaws.

because he tried to kill our daddy

HenryKrinkle posted:

stegosaurus posted:

i prefer the MTWist policy of supporting counter hegemonic blocs against US aggression regardless of their internal flaws.

same, this is why I vote democrat

http://platypus1917.org/2008/10/01/iraq-and-the-election-the-fog-of-anti-war-politics/

gyrofry posted:

HenryKrinkle posted:

stegosaurus posted:

same, this is why I vote democrat

... that's a really bad analogy imho

you are
i think they like had some oil? which i think is used for lots of stuff? idk lol! spring breakers is out!
i think it was a two step. big ol' institutional and conceptual framework had been built up around anti-Iraq for various reasons, such as, in descending order, economic interest over oil, geopolitical interest over strategic location israel iran saudi russia, personal practice inertia of antagonism on part of apparatchik due to gulf war one and no-fly-zone. THEN, when elites like rest of country descended into into psychosis after 9/11 they stumbled around in dark reaching out for something to grab on to and There. It. Was: a big ol' institutional and conceptual framework
[account deactivated]
Mr Cheney said he was unmoved by his many critics. ''If you want to be loved, go be a movie star,'' he said.

thirdplace posted:

i think it was a two step. big ol' institutional and conceptual framework had been built up around anti-Iraq for various reasons, such as, in descending order, economic interest over oil, geopolitical interest over strategic location israel iran saudi russia, personal practice inertia of antagonism on part of apparatchik due to gulf war one and no-fly-zone. THEN, when elites like rest of country descended into into psychosis after 9/11 they stumbled around in dark reaching out for something to grab on to and There. It. Was: a big ol' institutional and conceptual framework

To find and destroy weapons of mass destruction iirc op
OLD BOY WAS TALKIN ALL THAT SHIT
"imma inclined to agree with the above poster"
\

BAGHDAD - Capt. Bobby Lumsden, an operations officer with 30th Heavy Brigade Combat Team, says he sees young Iraqis as "the future face of Iraq" at the reopened Al Kanz Poultry Processing Plant in the Yusifiyah region of Iraq, Jan. 10. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Daniel Schneider, 366 MPAD, USD-C PAO)
encirclement of iran
lot of good reasons so far, sounds like we just about justified this mother
So far we've got:
-because IMC touches himself at night. My analysis, probably not, but there might be something there, like chaos theory, one lonely Australian fondles himself on a mostly empty trolley, an evil empire massacres hundred thousands of people.
-to build a permanent us base in a really excellent location. Probably so, I don't know much about US bases so I don't know what else we have around there. If you're going for a military victory you should puppet enemy cities that are in good defensive locations, then you can raze them and GTFO if your empire's unhappiness is getting out of hand.
-because it would spark democratic revolution in middle east. Heh, is what I say. Like if you're a prison guard and conditions at the prison have become so severe that you'll bite the hand that feeds you, finally, so what you do is beat an inmate to death so that the other ones will riot and escape. Verdict plausible.
-to get money. My thoughts, yes!!
-to permanently destabilize it by ethnic conflict to Israel's benefit. Um, no comment. I mean, obviously this, but, no comment.
-because it was a good candidate colony for invasion as our empire staggers to its grave. Yes! Freaking yes! We love to invade things and Iraq has already proven how invadable it is once before.
-because Saddam Hussein tried to kill George Bush's dad, George Bush. My thoughts, probably so, probably there is some great dad son drama at the heart of this whole war, like Helen of Troy style, and hopefully as Bush continues leading the contemplative life he will open up about this very interesting piece of high ranking melodrama.
-because it was a popular war, not only among the Right, but for Left demagogues who could build their political careers on anti-war sentiment. Hell yeah! I never felt better as a political kid idiot boy, than when I hated that war! Imagine if I'd had to hate misogyny to be a Leftist 17 year old in rural Oregon, that would have been real challenge.
-because Iraq has oil. Hmm, I think this might be it. Sakai says this isn't the case in what he wrote, but I think he would agree that it also was because of oil, even though he might disagree with that.
-because Americans had been preconditioned with a mental schema that made the invasion seem correct in the confusion and anger following 9/11. My thinking on this one, sure! Saddam Hussein fit our image of Bad Guy from that movie we all saw, but then, those planes hit and all the guys on them were too dead to execute, so where's the catharsis? Boom it comes from beating up some other guy. Easy as that.
-to find chemical and biological weapons caches. Well, no... but also, yes!
-to put the Iraqi youth back to work processing poultry. This might be the number one reason.
-to fuck with Iran. I take it back, THIS is the number one reason. My god.

Can I, dare I, add one more? Because America president fell for a trap laid by Osama bin Laden and his ilks.
http://archive.adl.org/iraq_war/statement.asp
Well either way I’m sure we can all agree that Huntington was right, I really don’t understand why he gets so much flack for the “clash of civilizations’ concept when it’s so patently obvious.
[account deactivated]
-to make it platinum
[account deactivated]
whatever happened to bippy
[account deactivated]
-bippy

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Well either way I’m sure we can all agree that Huntington was right, I really don’t understand why he gets so much flack for the “clash of civilizations’ concept when it’s so patently obvious.

What_IR_professors_actually_believe.docx

becausae, Literally, georg bush is bad at doing paintings of dogs

prikryl posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

What_IR_professors_actually_believe.docx

‘There are going to be serious cultural antagonisms between the western and Islamic world’

OH LIES RACIST BLERUGHGHG