I give this OP 2 thumbs down
Armond White:

I do think it is fair to say that Roger Ebert destroyed film criticism. Because of the wide and far reach of television, he became an example of what a film critic does for too many people. And what he did simply was not criticism. It was simply blather. And it was a kind of purposefully dishonest enthusiasm for product, not real criticism at all…I think he does NOT have the training. I think he simply had the position. I think he does NOT have the training. I’VE got the training. And frankly, I don’t care how that sounds, but the fact is, I’ve got the training. I’m a pedigreed film critic. I’ve studied it. I know it. And I know many other people who’ve studied it as well, studied it seriously. Ebert just simply happened to have the job. And he’s had the job for a long time. He does not have the foundation. He simply got the job. And if you’ve ever seen any of his shows, and ever watched his shows on at least a two-week basis, then you surely saw how he would review, let’s say, eight movies a week and every week liked probably six of them. And that is just simply inherently dishonest. That’s what’s called being a shill. And it’s a tragic thing that that became the example of what a film critic does for too many people. Often he wasn’t practicing criticism at all. Often he would point out gaffes or mistakes in continuity. That’s not criticism. That’s really a pea-brained kind of fan gibberish.
i always thought of him as a nice uncle that really loves movies and not like a film critic that wants to tell you that olympus has fallen is actually about patriarchy or something.
also like the average filmgoer wants to know if iron man 3 really times the ac/dc song well against the footage of robert downey jr. smirking and punching at CGI robots or whatever.*

* i want to know

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Armond White:

I do think it is fair to say that Roger Ebert destroyed film criticism. Because of the wide and far reach of television, he became an example of what a film critic does for too many people. And what he did simply was not criticism. It was simply blather. And it was a kind of purposefully dishonest enthusiasm for product, not real criticism at all…I think he does NOT have the training. I think he simply had the position. I think he does NOT have the training. I’VE got the training. And frankly, I don’t care how that sounds, but the fact is, I’ve got the training. I’m a pedigreed film critic. I’ve studied it. I know it. And I know many other people who’ve studied it as well, studied it seriously. Ebert just simply happened to have the job. And he’s had the job for a long time. He does not have the foundation. He simply got the job. And if you’ve ever seen any of his shows, and ever watched his shows on at least a two-week basis, then you surely saw how he would review, let’s say, eight movies a week and every week liked probably six of them. And that is just simply inherently dishonest. That’s what’s called being a shill. And it’s a tragic thing that that became the example of what a film critic does for too many people. Often he wasn’t practicing criticism at all. Often he would point out gaffes or mistakes in continuity. That’s not criticism. That’s really a pea-brained kind of fan gibberish.

Armond White is a New York-based film and music critic known for his provocative and idiosyncratic film criticism, which some have characterized as contrarian.

contrarian? not in my forums

Roger Ebert Hails Human Existence As 'A Triumph'

CHICAGO—Calling the overall human experience “poignant,” “thought-provoking,” and a “complete tour de force,” film critic Roger Ebert praised existence Thursday as “an audacious and thrilling triumph.” “While not without its flaws, life, from birth to death, is a masterwork, and an uplifting journey that both touches the heart and challenges the mind,” said Ebert, adding that while the totality of all humankind is sometimes “a mess in places,” it strives to be a magnum opus and, according to Ebert, largely succeeds at this goal. “At times brutally sad, yet surprisingly funny, and always completely honest, I wholeheartedly recommend existence. If you haven’t experienced it yet, then what are you waiting for? It is not to be missed.” Ebert later said that while human existence’s running time was “a little on the long side,” it could have gone on much, much longer and he would have been perfectly happy.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/roger-ebert-hails-human-existence-as-a-triumph,31945/

I liked how hed give anything with big fat nude tits a good review and liked to imagine him in the theater frowning and mentally preparing a destruction till demi moore's big boops hit the screen and then he starts grinning and tapping his toe along to the sound track.
i like armond white because he's the only person with any kind of platform who saw through precious and also is willing to defend tyler perry.

roger ebert was good at first, but then he went too far.
Looks like your death proves that video games ARE art, Roger.

Keven posted:

Looks like your death proves that video games ARE art, Roger.

he's getting lana del rey to sing at his funeral.

he's dead and i fucking killed him. im a terminator. im ten feet tall and made of congealed crude oil
rip, to those who died
oooo he had Opinions, better plan a parade

gyrofry posted:

rip, to those who died

i guess this means rob schneider gets the last laugh
was he the one who got mouth cancer or was that the other one?
does anyone really believe this guy died?
i see no epistemological reason to believe he even ever existed
i like how he wrote reviews about 70s naked women in prison movies
He also liked that, as well.
[account deactivated]

peepaw posted:

i hope your av is a real thing. red army handicapped faction

babyhueypnewton posted:

peepaw posted:

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i'm gonna overthrow the state...just as soon as they install ramps up the capitol steps...

“My guess is that African Americans will be offended by the movie, and whites will be embarrassed. The movie will bring us all together, I imagine, in paralyzing boredom.”

babyhueypnewton posted:

peepaw posted:

It's Les Assassins des Fauteuils Rollents.

He is going to HELL for what he said about videogames. NOT oK