LATimes posted:

Police teach tactics for handling 'sovereign citizens'The FBI classifies such people, who refuse to recognize government authority in virtually any form, as part of a domestic terrorist movement.

By David Zucchino, Los Angeles Times
April 5, 2013, 4:14 p.m.

GREENSBORO, N.C. — With his shaggy hair, bushy mustache and obstinate ways, Jeffrey Allen Wright was well known to sheriff's deputies in Santa Rosa County, Fla.

Wright, 55, drove around with a phony license plate. When stopped, he refused to produce a driver's license. Once he threatened to sue a deputy who pulled him over.

After he was fined for traffic offenses in September, Wright paid with counterfeit money orders. When deputies served warrants for felony counterfeiting March 8, Wright barricaded himself in his garage and declared that he would not be "a servant of the king."

He broke out windows with a handgun, then pointed the weapon at officers, police said. Three deputies fired, killing Wright.

When Det. Rob Finch of the Greensboro police department heard about the incident, two words came to mind: sovereign citizen.

Finch teaches police and public officials around the country how to deal with self-described "sovereign citizens" like Wright. Finch and his partner, Det. Kory Flowers, have trained nearly 15,000 police and 5,000 public officials to combat sovereigns, zealots who refuse to recognize government authority in virtually any form.

Violent confrontations are rare, but the FBI says at least six police officers have been killed by sovereigns since 2000. A man tied to the movement shot and killed a California Highway Patrol officer who stopped him in Contra Costa County last year. A responding officer shot and killed the assailant.

The agency calls sovereigns — who number between 100,000 and 300,000 — a "domestic terrorist movement."

This time of year has federal authorities on alert, since a central tenet of the sovereigns movement is that its adherents believe they owe no income taxes.

Sovereigns assert that the U.S. Treasury has set up a secret money account for every American, which can be reclaimed through a bizarre set of legal filings known as redemption. They say everything from taxes to traffic tickets can be disposed of by drawing on the secret Treasury accounts through elaborate legal claims and mountains of paperwork.

Many sovereigns file invoices with police or judges, demanding hundreds of dollars an hour for time spent stopped by officers or when in court to answer charges.

Finch, 31, said his training sessions began after several sovereigns pulled over by Greensboro police in 2008 and 2009 refused to produce driver's licenses. They demanded that officers recite oaths of office and fill out long questionnaires.

"To them, a police officer is just a man in a Halloween costume," Finch said.

Other police departments began requesting their eight-hour seminars. Finch and Flowers now train agents of the FBI, DEA, ATF and Homeland Security — as well as district attorneys, clerks of court, judges and registrars nationwide. Finch says they are the only officers in the country who offer such street-level training.

They teach police to recognize sovereigns by their convoluted legal jargon and "mouthy" defiance. "Sovereign citizens are more likely not to obey their commands and more likely to commit violence during a traffic stop," Finch said.

Finch and Flowers often cite the 2010 deaths of two police officers in West Memphis, Ark., who were shot by a father-son sovereign team during a traffic stop for a bogus license plate. One officer had become distracted by a thick sheaf of papers thrust at him by one of the sovereigns.

Finch said he instructs officers to ignore paperwork other than license and registration. "Your antennae should immediately go up," he tells officers. "They refuse to recognize your authority, and that creates a dangerous situation."

As recently as August, two sheriff's deputies in Laplace, La., were shot and killed in an ambush. Police said at least two of the five men accused in the killings were sovereign citizens.

In Florida, police approached Wright carefully because he had told them in past encounters that he was not subject to police authority. Wright paid his taxes with a handwritten "coupon for payment," said Deputy Richard Aloy of the Santa Rosa Sheriff's Department. He had renounced his U.S. citizenship.

"They knew they had a bad individual, and they took the necessary precautions," Finch said.

Even nonviolent sovereigns can cause headaches through what Finch calls "paper terrorism." Some squat in foreclosed homes and file phony deeds claiming ownership, "paying" with photos of silver dollars. Sovereigns believe U.S. currency has no value but recognize precious metals as valid currency.

Many sovereigns — including the father-son team in the Arkansas shooting — hold seminars of their own in which they charge for lessons on redemption and tax avoidance. "You pay them in cash for them to tell you money has no value," Finch said.

Officials from Greensboro and other cities pushed for a new North Carolina law that makes filing false liens a felony rather than a misdemeanor. Finch said the law, coupled with training of court officials, has helped block or dismiss many phony liens and nuisance lawsuits.

But sovereigns continue to file suits and liens, hoping to claim property and damages, Finch said.

At one meeting Finch attended, a charismatic sovereign citizen told a rapt audience that U.S. currency has no value. But he also explained how to redeem millions of dollars from secret U.S. Treasury accounts, and how to use the courts to evade government control and taxes.

Afterward, Finch said, he asked the man what he did for a living. He was a U.S. Postal Service worker.

Finch asked how he justified working for a government he considered illegitimate. "He told me he needed the money to live out his ideology," he said.

these guys are obviously motivated more by ron paul/alex jones paleo-libertarianism than any type of leftist grievance against the US govt. but still, there's something to be said for openly declaring US law enforcement to be illegitimate, even if it is based on some pseudo-legalistic Constitutional restorationist bullshit.

plus, spamming the authorities with phony legal documents is kind of funny imo.

nah

HenryKrinkle posted:

plus, spamming the authorities with phony legal documents written in crayon is kind of funny imo.

It's funny for everyone, lawyers and judges also experience a mixture of pain and amusement when they see these people walk up to the bench.
Is there a law requiring documents be typed in 12pt Times New Roman or could a learned citizen make legal actions via crayon?
"paper terrorism" lol
it only costs $450 to renounce your amerikkkan citizenship and become, instead, a world citizen
yea but they reject your attempt if you try
also Montgomery has been very slow to respond to my request for CSA citizenship
anything that annoys lawyers and judges has to have a good side

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

yeah right as if they'll admit a muslim. it's alabama not arabama.

"sovereign citizens are nothing but paper terrorists" - mao
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

yeah right as if they'll admit a muslim. it's alabama not arabama.

are you so sure?

Lykourgos posted:

It's funny for everyone, lawyers and judges also experience a mixture of pain and amusement when they see these people walk up to the bench.

how do you/legal system deal with them?

do any of their arguments work/ have merit?

they're right

i never asked to be a citizen, why should i recognize the state's concept of 'citizenship' when i'm just an orgasm born randomly on the earth.

is a worm or donkey or chrysanthemum a citizen? if not then neither am i
the sovereign citizen movement consists mostly of mentally ill people with compatible/overlapping delusions, but they're pissing off all the right ppl sooooo

HenryKrinkle posted:

Even nonviolent sovereigns can cause headaches through what Finch calls "paper terrorism."

causing headaches for the authorities = terrorism.

HenryKrinkle posted:

"To them, a police officer is just a man in a Halloween costume," Finch said.

pretty much

HenryKrinkle posted:

Finch asked how he justified working for he considered illegitimate. "He told me he needed the money to live out his ideology," he said.

the lfest sovereign citizen

Edited by slumlord ()

i watched someone like this try to argue that his traffic case was controlled by admiralty law, as that's the only legitimate type of law. this happened in colorado
no critique of capitalism makes it completely ineffectual
i had to talk an old friend out of one of these kinds of things, something about the United States being a charter corporation but the chartering process was somehow illicit? the thing that really sticks out about it is this almost bottomless trust in the integrity of the legal system, this idea that an institution with that much power would basically dissolve itself if you could just make the right argument. i made a real point of approaching it on that level rather than the legal merits because the thing was unreadable gobblygook
"These people consider America an illegitimate and tyrannical government, so be ready to shoot and kill these (paper) terrorists during any interaction." - An Idiot

xipe posted:

Lykourgos posted:

how do you/legal system deal with them?

do any of their arguments work/ have merit?

I've had a few experiences with them, mostly with a particular group of moors. We treat them like other defendants and strongly recommend that they get an attorney or accept the services of the public defender. If they have am attorney, they don't have the right to file random shit. If they want to represent themselves, their motions are received and then denied in a polite and prompt manner. It is a running joke that one day a judge will grant one of their motions and the prosecutor will be eternally embarrassed for losing that legal argument.

I don't pretend to know every single argument out there, but generally speaking they lack merit. Their motions are always denied, and there are a few amusing appellate opinions rejecting their arguments; I recently read a good one from canada that I can find again if desired.

They are more of a problem for officers than they are for prosecutors and judges. If they behave poorly in court the judge can just have them swept off the floor. I have never seen them behave rudely, though, and I've never seen them win a case.

Edited by Lykourgos ()

Edit: double post

Just to make this post worthwhile, here is a link to the amusing canadian case:

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/oncj/do...2013oncj160.pdf

Edited by Lykourgos ()

[account deactivated]
JHk9KUFlk2M

Lykourgos posted:

I have never seen them behave rudely,

http://www.strangebeaver.com/2012/09/smart-ass-learns-not-to-run-his-mouth-at-the-court-house/

These guys are cool

Makeshift_Swahili posted:

"paper terrorism" lol

yeah thats my favorite part, its so openly protective of bureaucracy, & the idea of government employees being terrified to come into work due to quantity of paperwork awaiting them

That is the most articulate cop I have ever heard in my young life.
wow Situationist International has really stepped up they game
mods change my name to : David-Hyde: Pierce

thirdplace posted:

i had to talk an old friend out of one of these kinds of things, something about the United States being a charter corporation but the chartering process was somehow illicit? the thing that really sticks out about it is this almost bottomless trust in the integrity of the legal system, this idea that an institution with that much power would basically dissolve itself if you could just make the right argument.

what if they really are close to developing some sort of killing joke style Power Word capable of reverse neurolinguistically deprogramming the unconscious modes and impulses which eternally construct and drive our modern human hologrammatic society, like a benevolent Langford Basilisk of jewspeak, while were all sitting here paying our parking tickets like a bunch of scrubs

Superabound posted:

thirdplace posted:

i had to talk an old friend out of one of these kinds of things, something about the United States being a charter corporation but the chartering process was somehow illicit? the thing that really sticks out about it is this almost bottomless trust in the integrity of the legal system, this idea that an institution with that much power would basically dissolve itself if you could just make the right argument.

what if they really are close to developing some sort of killing joke style Power Word capable of reverse neurolinguistically deprogramming the unconscious modes and impulses which eternally construct and drive our modern human hologrammatic society, like a benevolent Langford Basilisk of jewspeak, while were all sitting here paying our parking tickets like a bunch of scrubs

thanks i came

The Redemption movement is based on a theory by Roger Elvick, who has been called a "founding father" of the modern redemption movement. The theory is, in part, that for every citizen's birth certificate issued in the U.S. since the 1936 Social Security Act, the government deposits $630,000 in a hidden bank account linked to the newborn American and administered by a Jewish cabal. Redemptionists assert that by completing certain legal maneuvers and filing a series of government forms, the actual person may entitle himself or herself to the $630,000 held in the name of the doppelganger persona created for him or her at birth, and may then access these government funds using "sight drafts". The government views these sight drafts as "rubber checks" and the entire scheme as fraudulent. The federal government has convicted the practitioners of fraud and conspiracy.

piss posted:

Lykourgos posted:

I have never seen them behave rudely,

http://www.strangebeaver.com/2012/09/smart-ass-learns-not-to-run-his-mouth-at-the-court-house/

That is amazing

Superabound posted:

thirdplace posted:

I contest all of mine. scrub

Power Words are anti-Islamic. We don't know which modern technologies are moral or not since they didn't exist during the kulafah. Thus a good maxim to go by is to outlaw them all.