Don't go to Nietzsche, he's convuluted and sophomoric and if you don't have a background with Hegel and contemporaries it really won't mean much. Otherwise Pete said, start with the original G's and move up ie Marx, Hegel, Kant, Schopenhauer, Wittgenstein, Unamuno(fav). Liebniz, aquinas, Rousseau(political theory), Locke (same)Kierkegaard, Hobbes and Berkeley. If you're not down for that hardcore shit your best move would just be to read contemporary existential authors who illustrate their philosophies through narration. They would be Sartre (Nausea), Camus (The Stranger, The fall etc) and Beavoir(but not really). Honorable mention in the Post-Modern category goes to Levi-Strauss, Ponty, Derrida, Foucault and Deleuze.
*Post-Structuralism
actually Nietzsche is cool and a better man than you.
neitzsche dreams in color, he dreams in red
neitzsche dreams in color, he dreams in red

NoFreeWill posted:

actually Nietzsche is cool and a better man than you.

yeah i wrote that thing in the op, its me the man with those opinions

i coined the term "The original G's of philosophy"
ya you typed out that thing so those are your ideas

NoFreeWill posted:

ya you typed out that thing so those are your ideas

now you listen to me, pink ninja, you mother fucker, there is a thing called copy and pasting, and thats what i did

Why?

serious question, that's an impressive list of author's, but why do you think one should read them? how has it benefited you?
Seems about right.

http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

I don't understand why, when asked to give a reading list to start on philosophy, people give a long ass list of primary sources that only a grad student would read. Most people in the real world limit themselves to children novels, so you have to give them something babby tier like Sophie's World to start with, which ironically enough is far more accurate than Bertrand Russel's account even if the sections on Freud and Hegel are bit problematic... And then if they really want to read Nietzsche, don't demand that they read the entire fucking history of philosophy, just get them to read a few stanford encyclopedia articles and Deleuze's book on Kant. Of course they're not going to understand all of what they read, but nobody does and it's a silly to expect.

ArisVelouchiotis posted:

Seems about right.

http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

they misspelled anathem by neal stephenson

marimite posted:

I don't understand why, when asked to give a reading list to start on philosophy, people give a long ass list of primary sources that only a grad student would read. Most people in the real world limit themselves to children novels, so you have to give them something babby tier like Sophie's World to start with, which ironically enough is far more accurate than Bertrand Russel's account even if the sections on Freud and Hegel are bit problematic... And then if they really want to read Nietzsche, don't demand that they read the entire fucking history of philosophy, just get them to read a few stanford encyclopedia articles and Deleuze's book on Kant. Of course they're not going to understand all of what they read, but nobody does and it's a silly to expect.

In my experience, recommending books for people to read (unless you’re genuinely altruistic and doing it because it’s something they would like to know of) is for people who can’t distil or frame an argument for people who have less of a political/academic background. This whole ‘canon’ thing annoys me anyway. Marx is important but certain people at certain stages of life are going to get much more out of something like 50 Shades of Grey than something like the Grundrisse.

ideas you copy paste are your own as well. if you read it it's yours as well. we are all Hitler.
the continuity of fascism is probably more related to having everyone read a lot about HItler than anything else.
I disagree, Nietzche's writing has nothing to do with Hegel. Also he was a much better writer than any of those other people.
wow some of you seriously think i came up with this list.....Wow just wow

fape posted:

wow some of you seriously think i came up with this list.....Wow just wow

I think that too.

I don't, but I think it's boring and not at all funny so I still am mad you made this topic.

Cycloneboy posted:

I don't, but I think it's boring and not at all funny so I still am mad you made this topic.

you made the list

fape posted:

Cycloneboy posted:

you made the list

Harsh, but fair.

How can Atlas Shrugged or 1984 possibly be among the best novels ever made? Most famous novels maybe, but best?
recommending giant lists of primary sources for laymen to read has an obvious motive in that the recommender believes it makes him look clever. one thing I'm glad about here is that nobody is seriously telling anyone to go and read Capital. it's long and dense and impenetrable and there are far better and more accessible syntheses and it probably makes you smarter to be able to critically compare and develop opinions on them than to have slogged through the original
but seriously, read Capital

littlegreenpills posted:

recommending giant lists of primary sources for laymen to read has an obvious motive in that the recommender believes it makes him look clever. one thing I'm glad about here is that nobody is seriously telling anyone to go and read Capital. it's long and dense and impenetrable and there are far better and more accessible syntheses and it probably makes you smarter to be able to critically compare and develop opinions on them than to have slogged through the original

you are a layman

yes i am. also dont read Capital its really boring

mustang19 posted:

How can Atlas Shrugged or 1984 possibly be among the best novels ever made? Most famous novels maybe, but best?

its among the longest, and ill be damned if having more words does not a better book make

fuck you OP

littlegreenpills posted:

capital is useful only insofar as it articulates and demonstrates that general feeling most laypeople have that capitalism doesnt actually make most people rich, you dont need it beyond that unless youre mccaine and you want to deeply analyse how value exists or w/e

uhhh... mccaine admitted that he had never read capital and there was no need to
John McCain?

mustang19 posted:

John McCain?

mccaine is the username of a gay dutch communist who posted some aceshaming shit at me back on Old LF

Cycloneboy posted:

mustang19 posted:

John McCain?

mccaine is the username of a gay dutch communist who posted some aceshaming shit at me back on Old LF

Glad I'm not aware of these things.

communist posters and symbols need a make over. Red is so trite now.
Purple is where it's at
Red is the blood of the workers. Purple is decapitated liberal dick.
Jesus ch rist. Haha don't read Capital. Next you freaks will be saying dont read Mein Kampf

that was the last reported sighting of a Pepsi Crystal in the wild