tentativelurkeraccount posted:

the bleeding edge of satire

http://www.vice.com/read/speaking-with-the-sea-about-hacking-the-onions-twitter-account

I support the tireless vigilance of the Syrian Electronic Army volunteer corps and the inspiring bravery of the Syrian people upholding the glorious eagle Assad. May the nihilist rogues at the Onion suffer a thousand, a million defeats
The Onion, The Daily Show, comedians such as George Carlin etc are basically court Jesters who are allowed to occasionally criticise their own masters. As Chomsky says:

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate."

Chomsky of course being the grandest and most meta Court Jester of all.

Makeshift_Swahili posted:

The Onion, The Daily Show, comedians such as George Carlin etc are basically court Jesters who are allowed to occasionally criticise their own masters. As Chomsky says:

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate."

Chomsky of course being the grandest and most meta Court Jester of all.

good post. if the moment a child sees himself in the mirror is when ideology in general constitutes the subject, than the moment when the father says 'because i said so' is when liberal ideology interpellates on the western mind.

the liberal asks 'is there freedom?' while the communist asks 'what is freedom? why freedom? freedom for whom? freedom from whom? freedom to do what?' (to loosely quote Zizek loosely quoting Lenin). I would even say that the moment when one stops asking questions is when one stops being revolutionary and become liberal.

at least thats what it was for me. i just kept questioning concepts that were taken as a given, asking questions about history, philosophy, and politics, and now im a revolutionary marxist-leninist. I never worked in a miserable job as a teen, or was excluded based on sex, sexuality, race, and all the other ways class mediates itself in the west, i don't come from a communist tradition, i never went to punk shows or dressed weirdly or had radical friends. maybe it's idealist, but i do think communism is simply more correct and can be arrived at by a pursuit of absolute truth. though obviously 'truth' and 'correct' are mediated by ideology and class struggle and not everyone who is a liberal is just an idiot who can't ask the right questions.

wow that sounds romantic, i hate romantic philosophy. let me state that truth, in the last instance, is determined by the barrel of a gun and the only reason i even have ideological 'space' to question and learn about communism is because it is not a threat to the bourgeoisie and fits into the very edge of what's acceptable according to chomsky. if chomsky were more like me he would be posting on an internet forum instead of getting paid for speaking gigs and appearing on democracynow! and if the world were in a state of communist revolution i would not be allowed to think. not to be too pessimistic, this space is the gravedigger of capitalism of it's own creation, and though chomsky is allowed to exist surely the bourgeoisie do not like him.

Crow posted:

I support the tireless vigilance of the Syrian Electronic Army volunteer corps and the inspiring bravery of the Syrian people upholding the glorious eagle Assad. May the nihilist rogues at the Onion suffer a thousand, a million defeats

I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe.

corn posted:

I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe.

welcome to the rhizzone... get used to that feeling, there's a lot more comedy where that came from!

the onion is funny tho

HenryKrinkle posted:

the onion is funny tho

the onion was funny. now that it is being thrust onto the stage of politics, not just with the SEA but with the election of Obama and how that's affected all the comedy shows like daily show, SNL, and msnbc, it's shown it's true cowardice at exposing itself and therefore lack of humor.

unless you think articles about obama doing something cool, like playing basketball, around a bunch of uncool people is hilarious.

that sea guy was less funny than the onion imo
i mean i support what theyre doing but once you say "U MAD BRO" in an interview youre entering another field of judgement and that guy doesnt know his aesthetics from his elbow imo
http://www.theonion.com/articles/secretary-of-interior-takes-presidential-oath-of-o,32264/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gorilla-sales-skyrocket-after-latest-gorilla-attac,30860/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/obama-sarcastically-asks-how-israel-afforded-such,31750/

deadken posted:

i mean i support what theyre doing but once you say "U MAD BRO" in an interview youre entering another field of judgement and that guy doesnt know his aesthetics from his elbow imo

i thought it was funny since it's turning the language of smug people who think they are beyond ideology on themselves. it's shocking, though most people probably won't get the joke. i thought it was hilarious when Iran had a bunch of news stories about lack of freedom in the USA during OWS and used the exact language the american press uses calling for intervention and the overthrow of the american govt by the 'free world'.

'umad' is the most concise statement of pure ideology i know of, 4 letters that simultaneously agrees with the complainant's view of events, dismisses their complaint as irrelevant, and challenges them to produce action. there is no liberal shibboleth which cannot be emptied of its supposed genteel nobility by 'umad'. how you can doubt the aesthetics of this, i do not know, but im pretty sure its because umad

babyhueypnewton posted:

HenryKrinkle posted:

the onion is funny tho

the onion was funny. now that it is being thrust onto the stage of politics, not just with the SEA but with the election of Obama and how that's affected all the comedy shows like daily show, SNL, and msnbc, it's shown it's true cowardice at exposing itself and therefore lack of humor.

unless you think articles about obama doing something cool, like playing basketball, around a bunch of uncool people is hilarious.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/obamas-weekly-video-addresses-becoming-increasingl,17649/

babyhueypnewton posted:

at least thats what it was for me. i just kept questioning concepts that were taken as a given, asking questions about history, philosophy, and politics, and now im a revolutionary marxist-leninist. I never worked in a miserable job as a teen, or was excluded based on sex, sexuality, race, and all the other ways class mediates itself in the west, i don't come from a communist tradition, i never went to punk shows or dressed weirdly or had radical friends. maybe it's idealist, but i do think communism is simply more correct and can be arrived at by a pursuit of absolute truth. though obviously 'truth' and 'correct' are mediated by ideology and class struggle and not everyone who is a liberal is just an idiot who can't ask the right questions.

how brave, noble and unique: a teenager who questions things

and huey just to show i'm not being needlessly antagonistic to you: i fully agree with your 'the Onion is lame bullshit' stance.

The Onion is basically the 'mexican coca-cola of satire': average everywhere else but seems amazing in comparison to the shit you've been fed growing up.
the onion has some funny stuff and some terrible stuff. just like i'm sure i could watch the daily show still and laugh at some of it. perhaps the truth is in the middle.

ilmdge posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

HenryKrinkle posted:

the onion is funny tho

http://www.theonion.com/articles/obamas-weekly-video-addresses-becoming-increasingl,17649/

by winkingly creating an implausibly bizzare fantasy of obama's motivations and character (that is rooted somewhat in his critics view of him), all it's ultimately doing is humanizing the President to show that he's just a normal sort of guy.

Liberal dog-whistling of the worst kind.

this set the standard for modern satire and nothing has yet come close to it (the Boston stuff is the best thing recently that America has produced)

can't corner the dorner

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

this set the standard for modern satire and nothing has yet come close to it (the Boston stuff is the best thing recently that America has produced)

"i wonder if there are air traffic control problems" lol. americas bubble violently ruptured live on the air.

In case you think i'm being flippant: Satirical writing or art traditionally was interpreted as an act of violence (of some kind) against the ruling power structure. Given that all rebellious or heretical ideas or are now not just accepted by but actively catered to by capitalist hegemony (the onion being a prime example, rap being another), physical violence becomes the only true expression of satire left. Everything else is just removing someone's towel from a deckchair on the titanic while leaving a passive-aggressive little note that you take a picture of then upload to the internet for snark-points.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

ilmdge posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

HenryKrinkle posted:

the onion is funny tho

by winkingly creating an implausibly bizzare fantasy of obama's motivations and character (that is rooted somewhat in his critics view of him), all it's ultimately doing is humanizing the President to show that he's just a normal sort of guy.

Liberal dog-whistling of the worst kind.

sorry but it's hilarious

[account deactivated]
how cum chomsky is always brought up as this court jester when zizek and so on (lol) seem much more like cort jestaz to me
plus chomsky is right, he's just too pure for this world, therefore we must rally to mugabe
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
it seems fashionable for leftists to shit on chomsky and zizek but i have never seen or heard one so much as attempt to distance themselves from finkelstein
the people who shit on chomsky usually like zizek, and vice versa in my experience....
finkelstein got a lot of flak from the left when he called bds a cult
oh lol
also when he calls for israel to obey international law and un resolutions i get that it's a politically useful line to take but he seems to actually believe it to be all that's required
i mean i like the guy but there is something very cycloneteenish in his intensity
he's an ex-maoist, if that fills the picture in any more
"oh chomsky is such a court jester for his consistently anti-imperialist stance couched in waffling liberalism, as opposed to this 'stalinist' poser from slovenia who happened to stand as a presidential candidate for their liberal democratic party during the brutal imposition of capitalism by the IMF and german/american interests"
chomsky's basic worldview is correct insofar as it describes what society should be like. the problem is that he doesn't seem to fully accept that the bourgeoisie and its allies will do anything possible to kill you if you try to build anarcho-happiness or whatever, and he ascribes social control to a media system reflecting an ownership model rather than also the constant activity of the commodity-form itself. i mean if i said that to him he'd probably be like shut up you full blown retard, i know about ideology, but he doesn't "get it"
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

getfiscal that is my favorite part about reading chomsky, he doesn't talk about any of those awful things, reading chomsky allows me to feel simultaneously optimistic and informed! these are usually mutually exclusive states

that's why i like listening to his speech called "government in the future" from 1970, he's like peak optimism and sounds almost lively.