http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/19/eu-syria-oil-jihadist-al-qaida

EU decision to lift Syrian oil sanctions boosts jihadist groups

Jabhat al-Nusra, an al-Qaida affiliate, consolidates position as scramble for control of wells accelerates

The EU decision to lift Syrian oil sanctions to aid the opposition has accelerated a scramble for control over wells and pipelines in rebel-held areas and helped consolidate the grip of jihadist groups over the country's key resources.

Jabhat al-Nusra, affiliated with al-Qaida and other extreme Islamist groups, control the majority of the oil wells in Deir Ezzor province, displacing local Sunni tribes, sometimes by force. They have also seized control of other fields from Kurdish groups further to the north-east, in al-Hasakah governorate.

As opposition groups have turned their guns on each other in the battle over oil, water and agricultural land, military pressure on Bashar al-Assad's government from the north and east has eased off. In some areas, al-Nusra has struck deals with government forces to allow the transfer of crude across the front lines to the Mediterranean coast.

"Whoever gets their hands on the oil, water and agriculture, holds Sunni Syria by the throat. At the moment, that's al-Nusra," Landis said. "Europe opening up the market for oil forced this issue. So the logical conclusion from this craziness is that Europe will be funding al-Qaida."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/19/jihadists-control-syrian-oilfields

The stranglehold that Jabhat al-Nusra and its allies have achieved over Syria's oilfields signals a decisive moment in the conflict that will shape the rapidly and violently evolving map of the new Middle East.

While the makings of a Sunni mini-state are emerging in al-Jazira plain, Upper Mesopotamia, stretching from Turkey to central Iraq, a Kurdish state is forming to the east, again crystallised with the help of oil. To the fury of Baghdad, the Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) of Iraq has reportedly struck a deal with Ankara for Turkish state energy companies to take a stake in the region's oil and gas fields. The deal has caused tension with Washington, apparently during the Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's visit to the White House last week.

[account deactivated]
gas

tpaine posted:

mustang, we are earnest marxist leninists. the problem is you don;t know anything and aren't half as clever as you think you are. you think you can coast by on wikipedia articles, I know because I've done the same when I used to troll SA, but it doesn't work. everyone can see through your bullshit but the effort it would take to show you why you're wrong is just wasted.

but this effort is already wasted. aren't you in high school?
im struggling to understand the syria situation, is the case that we are knowingly funding terrorists to conquer syria on behalf of egypt/qatar, or that we are pretending not to know in order to about-heel later on and send our brave boys in to crush the terrorists and restore order under western stewardship, it appears that everyones piling in assuming nobody else would, and now nobody can retreat
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2013/may/28/eu-lifts-arms-embargo-on-syrian-rebels-live-updates

Russia to give Syria anti-aircraft missiles to deter 'hotheads' – live updates
• Move will 'dissuade hotheads from entering conflict'
• London and Paris force EU to let arms embargo lapse
• Britain will be able to arm Syrian rebels from now on
• Investigation finds chemical weapons exposure
syria is the new afghanistan
http://www.businessinsider.com/israel-warns-russia-against-giving-syria-missiles-2013-5

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's defense chief said Tuesday a Russian plan to supply sophisticated anti-aircraft missiles to Syria was a "threat" and signaled that Israel is prepared to use force to stop the delivery.

"Clearly this move is a threat to us," Yaalon told reporters Tuesday when asked about the planned Russian sale.

"At this stage I can't say there is an escalation. The shipments have not been sent on their way yet. And I hope that they will not be sent," he said. But "if God forbid they do reach Syria, we will know what to do."

Edited by prikryl ()

Fuck Israel, they wouldn't dare.
well yeah not unless we guaranteed we'd have their back
oh id love to see the Zionists try to fuck with Russia again. we all know what happened last time
Autonomous Oblast?
good intro to the lion asad
http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/excerpts/lesch_lion.pdf

im also posting the full version in the pdf forum

Noosphere posted:

Autonomous Oblast?

sorry i wasnt more clear. I was referring to Germany's Third Reich, a Zionist controlled government which was instrumental in securing Jews their current ill-gotten homeland, consolidating the political power of the Diaspora, and decimating the population and influence of European communists, who stood in direct opposition to the Jewish fasciocapitalist spider

ilmdge posted:

Fuck Israel, they wouldn't dare.

coutner strike annoucer guy: "Terrorists win..."
and they say the media never report good news
What is syria to America other than a way to fuck Russia out of its only Mediterranean port and dick with iran? I mean other than opening the gateway for wahhaist conquest of the levant and fulfilling biblical end time prophesy and or spreading democracy in the middle east. Would deminishing Russia's ability to project power help Europe negotiate lower natural gas prices? Does Syria have vast untapped natural resources that I am ignorant of? when will we get the first live leak video of rebels fielding the New tracking point sniper rifle?

Noosphere posted:

What is syria to America other than a way to fuck Russia out of its only Mediterranean port and dick with iran?

yes

I mean other than opening the gateway for wahhaist conquest of the levant and fulfilling biblical end time prophesy and or spreading democracy in the middle east.

edit: yes

Would deminishing Russia's ability to project power help Europe negotiate lower natural gas prices?

yes

Does Syria have vast untapped natural resources that I am ignorant of?

yes

when will we get the first live leak video of rebels fielding the New tracking point sniper rifle?

yes

Assad says he has received the air defense missiles.
syrian war will end on 9/11, 2013. beliebve it
am i a bad person for instantly thinking that chomsky's nose looks like a clitoris in that pic
i dont know bc ive never seen one
how can the terrorists have won in syria when the US hasnt invaded it yet?

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

i dont know bc ive never seen one

thats because teh clitoris existence is a myth

MarxUltor posted:

how can the terrorists have won in syria when the US hasnt invaded it yet?

the US has occupied part of Syria since 1967

mustangs insane ifap thread since th 20th probably has more Posts than the forum proper, maybe even including the faily planet

Lessons posted:

coutner strike annoucer guy: "Terrorists win..."