Living while fat
So I'm planning this trip to Costa Rica, looking at possible activities I can do when I'm there, and I come upon parasailing. Now I've never given parasailing a second thought, but the moment I click on this webpage and see the pictures of people soaring above the beach, I know it is something I really really want to do. Even better, the parasailing company's website says something about 'all shapes and sizes' of people being able to participate in parasailing. Heck yes, I'm psyched! That is, until I read their FAQ a little closer and see that, to them, 'all sizes' means up to 250 pounds.

I know, I'm larger than most and I should be used to being excluded or not considered by now, but it felt like such a dirty trick for them to proclaim how accessible parasailing is when they really only mean it's accessible to non-fat people. It's as if they're saying. "not only can you not participate, we're going to pretend folks your size don't even exist."

That rejection of my very existence really pushed my buttons. In fact, if I hadn't booked my plane ticket already I probably would have decided to skip Costa Rica altogether. That's how much I hate being ignored and marginalized. But that's a whole lot of power to hand over to some employee of a Costa Rican parasailing company. Sure, fat travel has always been a challenge and I will probably encounter numerous occasions where I don't exactly fit and feel awkward and slightly uncomfortable, but that's no reason to not go.

Contestants on The Biggest Loser are always going on and on about how they have 'gotten their life back' by losing weight, and I kind of get what they mean. Spending your life safely on your sofa can be a really compelling idea when the alternative means always being uncomfortable or unsure, encountering messages at every turn that your body is wrong or invalid, or worse, dealing with outright discrimination and vitriol because of your size. So yeah, one way to deal with that is to hide in your house and wait for the day that your body looks like everyone else's. Or you could just choose to live now.

Luckily I've never been very good at waiting.

___

What are some of the exciting things you are doing with your life instead of hiding in the house? (Also, anyone know where a 370 pound girl can get her parasail on?)
more like parafail lol
The president of Costa Rica's name is Laura Chinchilla so I would be wary of visiting a nation run by a children's cartoon character.
[account deactivated]
fucking . . . . . turds???!
lose some weight you fat fuck

Also, anyone know where a 370 pound girl can get her parasail on?)

wow really makes u think about thin privaledge
If a woman can be Prime Minister of Pakistan then surely a plus-sized lady can go parasailing in Costa Rica
theres a thing on that thin privilege tumblr about how thin privilege is not being sweaty after running up a bunch of stairs and i love the idea of a bunch of fat activists turning up to a university or something to demand the laws of physics be repealed
fat people generally have calves of iron so all they need to do is find a way to harness those and feel proud
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

did you learn that the hard way when that swedish dude kicked at you and knocked you over and tried to pork your wife but failed

oh shit!!!!

also, was there always a hate of fat acceptance here? i mean, did i naturally hate them on my own or did you guys imprint on me somewhere along the way. where and why did i start reading this crazy fat white women blogs. http://www.cupcakesclothes.com/ she's my hatefavorite

there was always a hate of everything here. why do you think it's filled with dyspeptic marxoteens
[account deactivated]
i thought you were married
[account deactivated]
rhizzone doesn't hate anybody we just like to laugh at them
marriage is cool, a truly heroic showing of solidarity with our Great tax codes and state policies
[account deactivated]
Costa Rica is cool

http://fair.org/extra-online-articles/censored-news-oliver-north-amp-co-banned-from-costa-rica/
remember the 90s, when our great american leaders thought of this plan:

1. coerce welfare recipient to get married
2. ...
3. ???
Haha friend you are in luck. It just so happens, that I do remember the 90s.
[account deactivated]

libelous_slander posted:

But that's a whole lot of power to hand over to some employee of a Costa Rican parasailing company.

(Also, anyone know where a 370 pound girl can get her parasail on?)

it seriously breaks my brain trying to imagine 370 lb people that think it's some company's fault or society's fault that they can't fly

[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

i thought you were married

lol tpaine lives in a swamp clearly

[account deactivated]
ur still married in the eyes of god, jokes on........................... YOU
God exists JOEKS ON YOU

tpaine posted:

*ace of base starts to play as if by magic*

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/ace-of-bases-secret-nazi-past

tpaine posted:

i'm 43 and married but bi

bi-bi#Bippy

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i'd recommend u hit up babyhueypnewton, OP - im sure he already has some research for the best costa rican brothels that accept overweight customers; goonspeed on ur sex tourism adventure!

aerdil posted:

i'd recommend u hit up babyhueypnewton, OP - im sure he already has some research for the best costa rican brothels that accept overweight customers; goonspeed on ur sex tourism adventure!

do NOT make cheap shots against such a great revolutionary

huey isn't overweight
[account deactivated]
Actually hueys name is bippy--NOT JOHN. Bippy.

Superabound posted:

Also, anyone know where a 370 pound girl can get her parasail on?)

wanna fly that whale