http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2203712/Americas-100m-year-gender-selection-industry-revealed.html

$100m-a-year gender selection industry revealed

American families are increasingly picking the gender of their children - and they are choosing girls.

In countries like China and India, couples regularly use pregnancy screening to abort female fetuses but in the United States a different kind of sex selection is taking place.

Fertility clinics are targeting young, fertile mothers desperate for a little girl and
more and more women are paying the exorbitant costs to get one.

Gender selection or 'family balancing' now rakes in at least $100 million every year, with an estimated 4,000 to 6,000 procedures being performed.

Some families are coughing up as much as $40,000 for their little girl, according to Slate.com.

Under the procedure, the woman's eggs are harvested and fertilized with sperm samples collected by the fertility clinic.

After fertilization and three days of incubation, an embryologist uses a laser to cut a hole through an embryo’s protective membrane and then picks out one of the eight cells.

Fluorescent dyes allow the embryologist to see the chromosomes and determine whether the embryo is carrying the larger XX pair of chromosomes or the tinier XY.

The remaining seven cells will go on to develop normally if the embryo is chosen and implanted in a client’s uterus.

Fertility doctors predict the procedure's popularity will continue to soar as couples become more comfortable with the idea of paying to choose their child's gender.

Doctors say girls are the goal for 80 per cent of gender selection patients.

This backs up a study published in 2009 by the online journal Reproductive Biomedicine Online, which found Caucasian-Americans preferentially select females 70 per cent of the time.

Meanwhile, those of Indian or Chinese descent largely chose boys.

Most of the evidence is anecdotal, as no large body tracks gender selection procedures.

But data from Google shows that 'how to have a girl' is searched three times as often in the US as 'how to have a boy.'

Many of the women desperate for girls explain that a yearning for female bonding was behind their decision to use gender selection technology.

'I’m not into sports. I’m not into violent games. I’m not into a lot of things boys represent and boys do,' Jennifer Merrill Thompson, author of Chasing the Gender Dream, told Slate.com, explaining her decision to choose the sex of her daughter.

Gender-selection patients are typically around 30 years old, educated, married, middle to upper class, and most have a couple of children - usually boys - at home already.

The United States is one of the few countries in the world that still legally allows prenatal sex selection.

The procedure, designed in the early 1990s to screen embryos for chromosome-linked diseases, is illegal for use for non-medical use in Canada, the UK and Australia.

But in the US it still has its critics.

The American Society for Reproductive Medicine is worried gender selection is leading otherwise healthy women to undergo unnecessary medical procedures and diverting quality doctors away from more worthwhile causes.

The group is also concerned children conceived this way could suffer psychological harm, if they don't live up to their parents' high expectations.

'If you’re going through the trouble and expense to select a child of a certain sex, you’re encouraging gender stereotypes that are damaging to women and girls,' Marcy Darnovsky, director of the Center for Genetics and Society, told Slate.com.

'What if you get a girl who wants to play basketball? You can’t send her back.'
is it time to go gay galt
Marcy Darnovsky, director of the Center for Genetics and Society sounds like a p cool person
Gyrofry you're not even gonna post words anymore? pure ideology

slumlord posted:

Marcy Darnovsky, director of the Center for Genetics and Society sounds like a p cool person

[account deactivated]
'Because the beauty of the White Aryan woman must not perish from the earth,' Jennifer Merrill Thompson, author of Chasing the Gender Dream, told Slate.com, explaining her decision to choose the sex of her daughter.
noam chomsky said once that he doesn't like throwing the word genocide around a lot in situations where the intent wasnt to wipe out a race of people because it devalues the holocaust, and then today i listened to him explain why hes not a vegetarian and hes like well we'd have to genocide all the animals lmao

mongosteen posted:

noam chomsky said once that he doesn't like throwing the word genocide around a lot in situations where the intent wasnt to wipe out a race of people because it devalues the holocaust, and then today i listened to him explain why hes not a vegetarian and hes like well we'd have to genocide all the animals lmao

so... he's correct as usual. thanks?

There's no place left for men in western society... It's about time we phased them out all together
we should follow the wisdom of the orient and phase out women instead
ancient chinese secret:

Spoiler!

mongosteen posted:

we should follow the wisdom of the orient and phase out women instead

i thought we already had... why else would this forum have so few women

i am a girl becasue mommy wanted me to be a girl. im studying to be a ballerina and i dont like boys that talk ruff. also here's teh dress mommy said i should wear today. too bad i cant go outside mommy wont let me
4-6k? far less people are selecting their children's gender than i would have suspected

countdown until giving your kids blue eyes and blonde hair is affordable
childbirth is a bust. global one child policy is the tops
clearly these upper class First World women are looking at the glut of Asian male PhDs on the global market and rationally predicting the skyrocketing future value of the only marketable skill their kind possesses: symbiotic trophyism
Is Selective Genderism a ruling class ideology?
my sisters went to an all girls school where, thanks to the lack of clearly defined gender barriers to entry, girls do 'boy stuff' like do math, play rugby, learn bass guitar etc. theyre one fedora away from being self-sufficient and it should be stopped somehow

cleanhands posted:

my sisters went to an all girls school where, thanks to the lack of clearly defined gender barriers to entry, girls do 'boy stuff' like do math, play rugby, learn bass guitar etc. theyre one fedora away from being self-sufficient and it should be stopped somehow

hey looks like the sexist segregation and rampant gender-bias being committed by our nation's most Patriarchal institutions does work after all. you know they used to say "Separate but Equal", but now im starting to think it should be "Equal, because they are Separate"

how will today's young women learn the value of motherhood, hearth and submission
female bass players are the best