Not linking the article to avoid continued profaning of a modern cultural demigod

Nepal protests at Everest video call by climber Hughes

Nepal's tourism ministry has demanded to know why a British climber made a video call from the summit of Mount Everest without permission.

Daniel Hughes reached the top of the world's highest peak on 19 May, and spoke live to BBC News from there using his smartphone.

Nepalese officials have summoned his expedition leader, David Hamilton, to be questioned by a committee.

An official said Mr Hughes had broken the rules on broadcasting.

Dipendra Poudel from the mountain section of Nepal's Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Aviation told the BBC: "The mountaineering rules say if you want to make a live telecast from the mountain, which is a restricted area, you have to get a permit first and inform us early about what you're going to do.

"It costs around $2,000 (£1,324) to get this permit."

Ministry officials said mountaineers found guilty of violating Nepal's tourism laws could be banned from obtaining climbing permits for 10 years or banned from entering the country for five years.

Mr Hughes, who has now left Nepal, aimed to raise £1m ($1.6m) for the British charity Comic Relief by climbing Mount Everest and carrying out what he said would be the world's first video call from the summit.

During the call the climber wore an oxygen mask as well as a red nose, which is the Comic Relief symbol.

'Grey' rules

The expedition leader told the BBC that he was trying to reach an amicable settlement with the ministry. Mr Hamilton said he had been operating in Nepal for the past 20 years without infringing local laws and sensibilities.

"If we realised this filming was going to be an issue, we would have tried to head it off at the beginning.

"As far as we see it, the rules are a little bit grey about shooting short video clips and putting them on websites."

The BBC's former Nepal correspondent, Joanna Jolly, says the incident demonstrates that the country's broadcasting regulations have not kept up with technological progress.

May is the most popular month for climbing Everest due to favourable weather, and the past weeks have seen several firsts on the world's highest mountain.

They include a record 11th ascent by a British mountaineer, the first by a Saudi woman and the ascent of the oldest person yet to conquer the peak, 80-year-old Yuichiro Miura, from Japan.

Here is Joanna Jolly's full Analysis that inhabits the articles sidebar.

The problem is the rules and regulations regarding broadcasting in Nepal haven't caught up with developments in technology.

In the past, if you were a film crew making a commercial film, this would be clear from the amount of equipment you had with you. All film crews are required to pay for a filming permit and also inform the government of their activities.

Now many people, like Daniel Hughes, are filming short video clips and posting them to personal websites. They're also making video calls on smart phones. The question is whether this also qualifies as commercial broadcasting, and where do you draw the line.

The Nepali government were no doubt embarrassed that Daniel Hughes made the first ever live video broadcast from the top of Mount Everest without their knowledge.

It seems the laws will have to be rewritten to keep up with the advancements in technology.

Witness egg cascading down the features of the brutish Nepalitano parliament, that cant even legislate abreast of the iPhone release schedule. In a more enlightened age, ceaseless broadcast of the mysterious and unattainable to our fat, undreaming fingertips would be welcomed. For this webisode of "BBCs Top 10 Serious Climbs" marks a heroic act of journalism undertaken on behalf of a stone age society. For who does not reach Everest's wicked high summit, and gaze down into the depths and distance of their physical accomplishment, and think, "I wonder how many likes this will get on Facebook?"? Thanks in advance for your thoughtful and heartfelt replies.

N€pa₤ is a revisionist coup regime led by capitalist-roaders, so obviously their telecommunications laws are out of date, like allowing the BBC in their country.
[account deactivated]
climbing mount everest is pretty pointless now
truly the mountain of sisyphus
if a man climbs a mountain but doesn't tweet about it, did it even actually happen?

littlegreenpills posted:

climbing mount everest is pretty pointless now

When i hear someone tell me they just got back from their everest ascension my first reaction, unilaterally, is to scream "Played. Out." into their flinching fucking face.

Expeditions that try to reach Everest's 29,029-foot peak in a typical year. "There were just people everywhere," one climber, Ayisha Jessa of London, tells the International Business Times.

Conservative estimate of the number of people who have reached the top in the past 60 years. Everest is no longer "a wilderness experience," says mountaineer Graham Hoyland. "It's a McDonald's experience."

Climbers who reached the top of Everest in just one day in 2012.

Tons of garbage that the annual Eco Everest Expedition has cleaned up between Everest base camp and the summit since 2008. The refuse littering Everest's slopes includes empty oxygen bottles and torn tents — and lots and lots of human waste. "The two standard routes, the Northeast Ridge and the Southeast Ridge, are not only dangerously crowded but also disgustingly polluted," climber Mark Jenkins writes in National Geographic, "with garbage leaking out of the glaciers and pyramids of human excrement befouling the high camps."

Tons of garbage picked up this year by a joint Indian-Nepali team, the first of its kind.

Tons of that garbage classified as "bio-hazardous waste."

Tons of garbage that was brought down the mountain by climbers and collected by 15 artists from Nepal. They used the haul, which included oxygen cylinders and scraps from a helicopter that crashed into Everest in the 1970s, to make 74 pieces of art. The work is being sold (at prices ranging from $17 to $2,400), and some of the proceeds are going to the Everest Summiteers Association, which collaborated on the project and was the first group to organize an Everest clean-up in 2005.

Approximate number of people who have died trying to reach the top. Most of the corpses are still on the mountain, frozen in the "death zone" that starts 26,000 feet up.

Deposit, in U.S. dollars, that the Nepalese government now requires climbers to pay before heading up the mountain. They risk losing the money if they don't bring down all of their trash.

Tons of garbage experts estimate still remains on Everest. "You can't necessarily blame the climbers, especially inexperienced ones, for their littering habit," Jenkins writes in National Geographic. "Even under the best conditions, climbing the tallest mountain in the world is exhausting, dangerous work. Dropping used supplies on the mountain rather than carrying it with them can save vital energy and weight... But the accumulated trash is still steadily ruining one of the most unique places on Earth."
Some of those numbers are misleading, for instance 234 people hit the summit on 1 day because you have to wait for favorable weather to attempt the summit; this is also why there were "just people everywhere" in mid-May the ideal time of year to try for summit. Also, yes i get that its dirty and full of trash now, but - "mcdonalds experience"

I'm just saying that we should reserve knowledge of Everest's peak for the fucking rich tourists who get sherpa'd up and down in a cascade of oxygen tanks and poop each day... and using concepts like holiness to mask my intentions. Its called shilling.
[account deactivated]
real ninjas ascend the Westeast Ridge
ive climbed mt logos, mt everest, and my mother's womb - but never livecast from any of those places. the nerve.
I thought this thread would be about Femen pulling some new stunt in a cathedral/church/mosque

gastarbeiter posted:

I thought this thread would be about Femen pulling some new stunt in a cathedral/church/mosque

That doesnt make sense because Femen is ideologically correct.

[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

why do so many people want to climb everest, there are so many other very tall mountains

because it sounds cooler to brag you went to everest then some other tall mountain.

I climed to the top of Mountain!!!

Like Cumment Share
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

why even climb any mountain though really

this is how people turn into Posters

you climb mountains to push/test yourself and for gr8 stories to tell your grandkids while they sit and pretend to care
you climb mountains to prepare yourself for the final wars.
mountaineers have ridiculously massive egos, once i met a dude that had summited everest a couple of times and he gave me an autographed picture that i hadn't asked for and did not want

lol
imo it shouldnt even count unless you started at sea level

guidoanselmi posted:

ive climbed mt logos, mt everest, and my mother's womb - but never livecast from any of those places. the nerve.

im climbing mt gox right now. the ascent is giddying but there are hazardous drops all over

itt people who would never attempt certain physical feats explain why they are too easy
the view is real nice on top of a mountain and you get super high if you smoke on one
[account deactivated]
ascending a summit by foot is something everyone with the means and ability should do once, it's self empowering and allows for introspection as well as integration with natural reality, in a way driving to the summit or fly above the clouds in vehicles does not.
especially if it's one of those tamed+civilized mountains e.g. Mount Fuji or anywhere in the Bavarian alps, with a well-engineered, minimum-grade, handrail-equipped and wheelchair accessible asphalt footpath running from foot to summit with benches every 100 yards and comfort stations every half mile
[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

especially if it's one of those tamed+civilized mountains e.g. Mount Fuji or anywhere in the Bavarian alps, with a well-engineered, minimum-grade, handrail-equipped and wheelchair accessible asphalt footpath running from foot to summit with benches every 100 yards and comfort stations every half mile

cable-tram or gtfo

idk i kind of love it that someone did a helicopter ascent of everest, difficult for the pilot but not so bad for the dude in the back seat with the oxygen tank and the cheetos. "i was the first guy to ascend everest without going through the motions of climbing up the fucking thing"
Julius Evola loved mountain climbing because he considered it to be the perfect combination of asceticism, contemplation and action
Counterpoint: Julius Evola was a dumb shit who proved incapable of grasping the basics of his pet topics
These were days when my heart was volcanic
As the scoriac rivers that roll -
As the lavas that restlessly roll
Their sulphurous currents down Yaanek
In the ultimate climes of the pole -
That groan as they roll down Mount Yaanek
In the realms of the boreal pole.
anyone who climbed everest after about 2000 is automatically a 1st-rate asshole of the line
alpine-style ascents or expeditions mounted solely for the purpose of cleanup may be appealed but the appellate board's rulings are strict, harsh, and final

daddyholes posted:

Counterpoint: Julius Evola was a dumb shit who proved incapable of grasping the basics of his pet topics

haters gonna hate. many enemies = much honor

Julius_Ebola posted:

daddyholes posted:

haters gonna hate. many enemies = much honor

see thats what i mean, no it doesnt

in any case evola has few enemies because he was an immense coward who ran from everything and died in obscurity