every time bad things happen to turkey my armenian friend goes on facebook and posts celebratory anti turk messages, hes a cool dude + nice guy also he fucking loves science

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Agreed, the khmer rouge had the ideologically correct position when they killed everyone with glasses.

cleanhands posted:

every time bad things happen to turkey my armenian friend goes on facebook and posts celebratory anti turk messages, hes a cool dude + nice guy also he fucking loves science

i know someone who fucking loves science. its partisan bologna

I Fucking Love Marxist Science

cleanhands posted:

corey posted:

wats going on in turkey right now

stinky turk stuff

-most americans' level of engagement

slumlord posted:

cleanhands posted:

corey posted:

wats going on in turkey right now

stinky turk stuff

-most americans' level of engagement

semi-'engaged' liberal Americans and Europeans, including the people who run the 'conservative' movements, understand Turks as honorary white folks with their army standing guard against Al-Qaedaism and so they don't know how to deal

epic detached irony for the win
Open Question
Why are they protesting in Turkey? i understand they are not satisfied with the government, but why?
4 hours ago - 4 days left to answer.

Answers (3)
Jack H
Jack H
A Top Contributor is someone who is knowledgeable in a particular category.
From what I have picked up from the Media, it seems that their democratically elected Prime Minister is making wide ranging changes and turning the country towards becoming a muslim state with strict alcohol controls, sharia law etc., many people do not like this and are trying to depose him, however, he has a lot of support in the countryside and is using the Army and riot police to prevent dissent.
4 hours ago Report Abuse
2 people rated this as good

Angelina
Angelina
A Top Contributor is someone who is knowledgeable in a particular category.
When Ataturk founded Turkey it was as a liberal muslim country. The present president wants to turn Turkey into a hard line muslim country and all that that entails. Women do nt want to be forced to cover up, people do not want Sharia law, no alcohol etc.

What is a very scary thought is that Turkey wants to join the EU. If it turns into a country like its president is trying to enforce, does the west want more muslims flooding into their countries however moderate they may be if they decide to leave a Turkey they don't want to live in any more, or more hard line muslims free to move to the EU.
3 hours ago Report Abuse

There seem to be a number of reasons. If you are interested read the following by SKY news' Tim Marshall. He's pretty good on foreign affairs and when I 'e' mailed it to my sister who lives in Istanbul she said it was an accurate piece.

As for your question, it seems to have started because the Prime Minister wanted to build a Mosque in or near Taksim Square in Istanbul. And the fear that the government is undermining what is meant to be a secular country, by being too pro-Islam.
Source(s):
Tim Marshall and my sister