http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/05/31/join-wall-street-save-the-world/

The 25-year-old certainly had other career options. An MIT computer science graduate, he could be writing software for the next tech giant. Or he might have gone into academia in computing or applied math or even biology. He could literally be working to cure cancer.
Instead, he goes to work each morning for a high-frequency trading firm. It’s a hedge fund on steroids. He writes software that turns a lot of money into even more money. For his labors, he reaps an uptown salary — and over time his earning potential is unbounded. It’s all part of the plan.
Why this compulsion? It’s not for fast cars or fancy houses. Trigg makes money just to give it away. His logic is simple: The more he makes, the more good he can do.
He’s figured out just how to take measure of his contribution. His outlet of choice is the Against Malaria Foundation, considered one of the world’s most effective charities. It estimates that a $2,500 donation can save one life. A quantitative analyst at Trigg’s hedge fund can earn well more than $100,000 a year. By giving away half of a high finance salary, Trigg says, he can save many more lives than he could on an academic’s salary.

Is this an ethical way to live your life or is the only truly ethical lifestyle being unemployed and ironically posting about revolution on a message board while bemoaning any real action from behind a veil of theory and detachment?

israel had a similar plan for helping down and out orange farmers

prikryl posted:

lol

i would be curious what constitutes action, this guy just seems to be giving his money away. the actions he actually performs are potentially much worse. what if his algorithms cause food riots? etc
“A lot of people, they want to make a difference and end up in the Peace Corps and in the developing world without running water,” Trigg says, “and I can donate some of my time in the office and make more of a difference.”

hes rite chairmanmeow is a lil' b*tch
*pays 28% tax to u.s. military every year*
personally i think, if you want to live ethically, you should follow the example of, Ammon "took military drills in order to learn how to kill capitalists" Hennacy

Edited by soicowboy ()

[account deactivated]

1488 posted:

Actually due to tax deductions from charity, his effective tax rate is probably very low. If you give almost all of your money away to Oxfam, there is very little the government can take from you to finance military spending

SaintJust posted:

“A lot of people, they want to make a difference and end up in the Peace Corps and in the developing world without running water,” Trigg says, “and I can donate some of my time in the office and make more of a difference.”

hes rite chairmanmeow is a lil' b*tch

woah a wall street shitbird cracked wise about the peace corps, i am undone

also lollin so hard at anyone who joins PC to try to 'make a difference'
i mean i guess rich fuckers can give away their money to charities and be a positive force for good in the world, just look at engels
He'd do a lot better to donate the money to the Democratic Party.

ChairmanMao posted:

also lollin so hard at anyone who joins PC to try to 'make a difference'

anything that involves 'doing something' is ableist garbage

iFederico posted:

Is this an ethical way to live your life or is the only truly ethical lifestyle being unemployed and ironically posting about revolution on a message board while bemoaning any real action from behind a veil of theory and detachment?

btw you're thinking of the Old LF. in the New LF the job to poster ratio is about 4.5 to 1, and rising

thirdplace posted:

btw you're thinking of the Old LF. in the New LF the job to poster ratio is about 4.5 to 1, and rising

yea sadly i'm banned from wddp, but if anyone wants to cross post this there feel free

thirdplace posted:

max out. MAX out. max out!!!

ChairmanMao posted:

thirdplace posted:

max out. MAX out. max out!!!

thirdplace -- This is the final notification of your member status before tonight's FEC deadline. You have just a few hours left to throw your support behind President Obama's agenda. The status associated with this email address is below:

Name: thirdplace
Supporter record: 9889326
2013 Membership: Pending

As of 4pm, we're just 2,793 donations away from hitting 400,000 for the year. That would be a new record for grassroots support! So let's step up, crush our goal, and render the Republicans speechless.

MIDNIGHT DEADLINE: Click this personalized link and your donation will be triple-matched.

This is our chance to show Boehner and the Republicans that our grassroots strength can beat their billionaire backers. And it couldn't come at a better time (the Koch brothers just created a new dark money outside group that could do some real damage).

There are just a few hours until the deadline. Will you join us?

Sounds like one step forward and two steps back.
you should have made it "serve your fellow man" so i could make the cookbook pun/reference to the classic twilight zone episode
[account deactivated]
Trigg saves the life of five third worlders and five first world brains are placed in jars. Trigg's failure to invest in job creation here in the US leads to the firing of the only trolley operator capable of stopping the runaway trolley. Trigg is the only passenger but diverting the trolley would cause his own death and the destruction of millions of dollars worth of assets that could be used for saving third worlders. he could also divert the trolley into a lake of shit and sink down, ever downward into the silent glutinous blackness the sucking warm wetness not unlike the embrace of mother and womb. there is no sound at the bottom of shit lake, no fish to nibble his decaying eyes.
charitable donations are heavily subsidized in canada. for example, in quebec, if you give $1,000 to charity then you get a tax credit for $450, so it only costs you $550. beyond that, they have a new supercredit for first-time donors up to your first $1,000, so if you're new to giving then your first donation (in quebec) would only cost you $300.

iFederico posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/05/31/join-wall-street-save-the-world/The 25-year-old certainly had other career options. An MIT computer science graduate, he could be writing software for the next tech giant. Or he might have gone into academia in computing or applied math or even biology. He could literally be working to cure cancer.
Instead, he goes to work each morning for a high-frequency trading firm. It’s a hedge fund on steroids. He writes software that turns a lot of money into even more money. For his labors, he reaps an uptown salary — and over time his earning potential is unbounded. It’s all part of the plan.
Why this compulsion? It’s not for fast cars or fancy houses. Trigg makes money just to give it away. His logic is simple: The more he makes, the more good he can do.
He’s figured out just how to take measure of his contribution. His outlet of choice is the Against Malaria Foundation, considered one of the world’s most effective charities. It estimates that a $2,500 donation can save one life. A quantitative analyst at Trigg’s hedge fund can earn well more than $100,000 a year. By giving away half of a high finance salary, Trigg says, he can save many more lives than he could on an academic’s salary.

he makes a great point. This is why my life's goal is to run for and win the presidency.

why do none of these people consider Ethical SUicide

Lessons posted:

you should have made it "serve your fellow man" so i could make the cookbook pun/reference to the classic twilight zone episode

As if I am passing the chance to use an lf'est reference.

the best way to help your fellow man is to ruin business opportunities- carl marks
i might unironically do a startup humanitarian steampunk thing. ill keep ya poasted
well not steampunk. but i promise to post pics unlike some people here

iFederico posted:

Lessons posted:

As if I am passing the chance to use an lf'est reference.

*dejectedly drops ETHICAL foam finger*

jools posted:

why do none of these people consider Ethical SUicide

I believe the preferred method is revolutionary suicide.

wasted posted:

the best way to help your fellow man is to ruin business opportunities- carl marks

[account deactivated]
what can I do? me? how can I best do things to help the Other? trading in rice futures on wall street, but trading opposite trends, and then giving money to 3rd world malaria campaigns.

discipline posted:

but how much are these lives worth saving? Trigg saves sixty lives a year, but they are all poor people..who cannot save as many lives as Trigg can.

if only there was a way to apply leverage to charity

iFederico posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/05/31/join-wall-street-save-the-world/Is this an ethical way to live your life or is the only truly ethical lifestyle being unemployed and ironically posting about revolution on a message board while bemoaning any real action from behind a veil of theory and detachment?

lol that guy is a moron but tbh nothing on rhizzone is done for the good of humanity either

honestly have none of these jokers even seen slobjob shishkebabs video on ethnical constuporism??1 go to www.youtube.com and just check it out
so whats to stop one of the companies whose stock hes trades in from developing a new line of mosquito aphrodisiacs? vertical integration ftw
Time to put this money I made flipping Monsanto stock to good use funding sustainable agriculture in Rwanda, I'm liberal and proud