Maxing Out my irl buttmad chimpouts atm

ilmdge posted:

roseweird posted:

no

Why not? Are you afraid of some dark grey police state like how people talk about the GDR and USSR? But I don't think anyone really gives a shit about eavesdropping. This is happening now, and nobody cares. Oh, maybe some clowns in patriot hats are whining about it, but they weren't whining when Bush was in office. I guess an ideologue like Glenn intellectually cares about it, but so what? This really doesn't matter to anyone. Why wouldn't you exploit such tools to defend the revolution? I'd say I may oppose this happening now, but only because it's not being done for a just cause... otherwise...

That's right, more accurately determine who is a traitor and foreign spy and ultimately save lives and better defend the revolution

prikryl posted:

ilmdge posted:

roseweird posted:

no

Why not? Are you afraid of some dark grey police state like how people talk about the GDR and USSR? But I don't think anyone really gives a shit about eavesdropping. This is happening now, and nobody cares. Oh, maybe some clowns in patriot hats are whining about it, but they weren't whining when Bush was in office. I guess an ideologue like Glenn intellectually cares about it, but so what? This really doesn't matter to anyone. Why wouldn't you exploit such tools to defend the revolution? I'd say I may oppose this happening now, but only because it's not being done for a just cause... otherwise...

Ah, I see the artist remembered to include Stalin's trademark button with "Joe Stalin" written in the Latin Alphabet. this Lowe guy has a good eye for detail

the media just noticed the bush/obama mashup that was being posted in LF before he was even elected. this is considered news worth reporting

MarxUltor posted:

the media just noticed
that was being posted in LF

oh fuck i'm outta here

i wrorte a thing
apparently theyre trying to make a protest happen nationally on july 4th against this. nyc rhizz0rs please take group selfies for the win
i bet khamsek makes duckface like crazy

Goethestein posted:

i bet khamsek makes duckface like crazy

you're so weird lol

agreed
pictured: three women making duckface. swag. yolo

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sales-of-orwells-1984-up-69-percent-on-amazon-list/article/2531503

Sales of George Orwell’s "1984" are up 69 percent on Amazon, according to a list on the website.

The book marked its 60th anniversary on June 6 amid a flurry of real-world news stories on secret government surveillance.

Amazon lists the paperback version of the sci-fi classic as the 19th biggest book on its Movers and Shakers list. The current sales rank is 110.

The list identifies the biggest gainers in sales rank compared to 24 hours ago.

Update: As of 3:22 p.m. EDT, sales of Orwell's "1984" are up 91 percent on the Amazon Movers and Shakers list.

hey if it makes americans actually open a book and look at the mystical symbols inside, don't knock it.
libertarians like george orwell because they don't read

marimite posted:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sales-of-orwells-1984-up-69-percent-on-amazon-list/article/2531503

Sales of George Orwell’s "1984" are up 69 percent on Amazon, according to a list on the website.

The book marked its 60th anniversary on June 6 amid a flurry of real-world news stories on secret government surveillance.

Amazon lists the paperback version of the sci-fi classic as the 19th biggest book on its Movers and Shakers list. The current sales rank is 110.

The list identifies the biggest gainers in sales rank compared to 24 hours ago.

Update: As of 3:22 p.m. EDT, sales of Orwell's "1984" are up 91 percent on the Amazon Movers and Shakers list.

anyone want a scan?

Nothing makes me roll my eyes harder than listening to journos qq about this stuff, especially the earlier case of the phone records being reviewed. but freedom of the press, of speech, how dare my divine right to be a rumour mongering shit stain be impaired.

Lykourgos posted:

my divine right to be a rumour mongering shit stain.

[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

i wrorte a thing

this is really good, gj ken

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/06/14/senate-staffers-told-to-pretend-top-secret-documents-are-not-widely-available-on-web/
Senate Staffers Told To Pretend Top Secret Documents Are Not Widely Available On Web

The Senate Security Office sent an email around the Hill Friday afternoon asking Senate employees and contractors to try to ignore the fact that top-secret, highly-classified documents are now floating around the Web freely (and, in the case of a terribly designed NSA Powerpoint, getting facelifts.) The email asks security managers to remind Senate employees and contractors that the documents are still technically classified and should be treated as if millions of people haven’t already read them. The email:

Please share with your staff the guidance below.
· Classified information, whether or not posted on public websites, disclosed to the media, or otherwise in the public domain, remains classified and must be treated as such until it is declassified by an appropriate U.S. government authority.

The director of national intelligence has declassified some information in light of the public debate, but the FISA court order, PRISM Powerpoint, NSA brochure, presidential order, as well as the “dozens” of newsworthy documents that Glenn Greenwald still plans to publish remain technically secret even if it’s a secret that anyone with an Internet connection can be let in on.

· Senate employees and contractors shall not, while accessing the web on unclassified government systems, access or download documents that are known or suspected to contain classified information.

Government employees are not supposed to keep classified documents just hanging around on their computers, but at this point, the battle to keep this particular set of documents secure has already been lost thanks to leaker Edward Snowden and his thumb drive. Rules are rules — even if they make little sense in light of current circumstances and seem like a serious impediment for the staffers tasked with supporting senators who need to have a policy debate about the revelations in the leaks.

· Senate employees and contractors who believe they may have inadvertently accessed or downloaded classified information via non-classified Senate systems, should contact the Office of Senate Security for assistance.

So, any staffer that’s been reading the Guardian now needs to call the Senate Security Office. Anyone who doesn’t call should be chastised for not keeping up with relevant news.

The Department of Defense sent around a similar email earlier this week, as reported by Wired. It appears to be standard — if inane — procedure after classified docs go viral. In 2010, U.S. agencies asked unauthorized employees not to access the classified material that came pouring out of Wikileaks in the form of videos and State Department cables. It’s a terrible attempt to chase cats around trying to get them back into bags. And worst of all, puts staffers in the uncomfortable position of breaking protocol by following links on Google News.
rhizzone posts get directly submitted to prism in real time. there is a person that has to read every mustang post.

libelous_slander posted:

rhizzone posts get directly submitted to prism in real time. there is a person that has to read every mustang post.

i bet they have an account just to downvote him and post 'didn't read' etc

slumlord posted:

libelous_slander posted:

i bet they have an account just to downvote him and post 'didn't read' etc

i know i do

its this account

Edited by swampman ()

ill never be able to accept the statment "as _______ tweeted today" as something serious
anyone who judges a man for doing what he can to avoid a stint in the american rapecage system or a Manning-style brainwipe is being pretty fucking silly

Edited by thirdplace ()

where are the snowdens of yesteryear?

TG posted:

Does anybody remember the WDDP poster "peenworm?" I just remembered how he wouldn't let his vegan son watch TV or videogames because he didn't want him to grow up to be a weirdo. I respect his commitment to principles.
to me its pretty clear that whereas the generally-ignored NSA whistleblowers of the recent past have been "normal" middle class types, this one is a non-college-educated serial Poster with a pole-dancing performance artist girlfriend and everyone Cares so pretty much anyone whos down with part 2 of the road to wigan pier should go cry somewhere

daddyholes posted:

TG posted:

mongosteen posted:

Does anybody remember the WDDP poster "peenworm?" I just remembered how he wouldn't let his vegan son watch TV or videogames because he didn't want him to grow up to be a weirdo. I respect his commitment to principles.

peenworm is cool and also you are wrong.

I am sorry for causing disagreement.

TG posted:

came here 2 post dis

IIRC that is by Bran Smith of Buzzfed.

daddyholes posted:

ill never be able to accept the statment "as _______ tweeted today" as something serious

is this a well thought out position?

swampman posted:

You Don’t Have To Like Edward Snowden
Reporters have always been comfortable ignoring their sources’ motives. Now everybody else needs to get used to that.One of the most difficult features of the new news environment is that everybody gets to see the utter mess of the early hours of a breaking news story — the chaos, the bad information off the scanner, the misidentifications. Those are things that used to take place inside the newsroom or, at worst, be swept away on the unrecorded broadcast surfaces.

There is now a heated debate over the moral status of Edward Snowden — who fled Hong Kong for Moscow en route, reportedly, to Ecuador Sunday — and over whether his decision to flee almost certain conviction and imprisonment in the United States means that his actions can’t be considered “civil disobedience.” These seem like good questions for a philosophy class. They are terrible, boring, ones for reporters, and have more to do with the confusing new news environment than with the actual news.

Snowden is what used to be known as a source. And reporters don’t, and shouldn’t, spend too much time thinking about the moral status of their sources. Sources sometimes act from the best of motives — a belief that readers should know something is amiss, or a simple desire to see a good story told. They also often act from motives far more straightforwardly venal than anything than has been suggested of Snowden: They want to screw someone who is in their way professionally; they want to score an ideological point by revealing a personal misdeed; they are acting on an old grudge, and serving revenge cold; they are collecting chits with the press to be cashed in later.

When these sources are anonymous or — in the case of earlier NSA sources — gray men whose stories haven’t captured the public imagination, nobody much cares. The Nixon Administration’s campaign to smear reporters’ Vietnam source, Daniel Ellsberg, is remembered only for having happened. When you learn decades later that the most famous anonymous source in American history — Deep Throat — was an unappealing figure fighting a bureaucratic civil war, that’s a mildly interesting footnote. The criminality he unearthed was interesting; Mark Felt wasn’t really. Who cares?

Christians talk of hating the sin and loving the sinner; reporters occasionally operate in exactly the opposite way: They hate, or at least, dislike the source, and love the story. (They also sometimes adore the source, respect the source, like the source — you know who you are, honored BuzzFeed sources.) If anyone ought to understand this, it’s the national security establishment: Spy agencies haven’t ever been accused of being overly solicitous of their assets.

But the new media ecosystem has moved sources to the foreground. They make their cases directly on Twitter or in web videos; in Snowden’s case, he also chose to protect himself by going and staying public in a way that would never before have been fully possible. “Big news will now carve its own route to the ocean, and no one feels the need to work with the traditional power players to make it happen,” David Carr wrote recently. The fact that the public must now meet our sources, with their complex motives and personalities, is part of that deal.

Snowden’s flight is a great, classic international story. It is, as Glenn Greenwald tweeted today, a kind of global White Bronco moment. His roots in web culture; his ideology; his decision-making; these are all great stories. He’s a much more interesting figure than Mark Felt because, at least, he’s a new figure, not a familiar one.

But Snowden’s personal story is interesting only because the new details he revealed are so much more interesting. We know substantially more about domestic surveillance than we did, thanks largely to stories and documents printed by The Guardian. They would have been just as revelatory without Snowden’s name on them. The shakeout has produced more revelatory reporting, notably this new McClatchy piece on the way in which President Obama’s obsession with leaks has manifested itself in the bureaucracy with a new “Insider Threat Program.”

Snowden’s flight and its surrounding geopolitics are a good story; what he made public is a better one. I’m not sure why reporters should care all that much about his personal moral status, the meaning of the phrase “civil disobedience,” or the fate of his eternal soul. And the public who used to be known as “readers” are going to have to get used to making that distinction.

Thanks, this is a great argument for state controlled media.

Lykourgos posted:

Thanks, this is a great argument for state controlled media.