swirlsofhistory posted:

They Lyceum can't teach us shit
My people need freedom, we tryin' to get all we can get
All my peripatetic philosophers can suck my dick
Tellin' me white man lies straight bullshit

the post that had They Schools by notedly bad rap group Dead Prez edited to refer to Classical philosophy and culture instead of the AmeriKKKan public school system

Lykourgos posted:

No, we all live forever. Read Plotinus, when someone dies they simply give the divine in themselves back to the divine in us all. Ancient history will repeat itself exactly again and again, too; Aristotle says that given sufficient time/movement all things that were will be. There is no escaping history or the fact that we share souls with the ancients.

Aristotle didnt know shit about Entropy. There is no Eternal Return; the price we pay for this is Death

http://www.naderlibrary.com/cult.doctrinecyclesborges.htm

Superabound posted:

http://www.naderlibrary.com/cult.doctrinecyclesborges.htm

does borges miss the point of eternal return? the return is not (paraphrasing nietzsche) to a similar life or an identical life, it's a return to this life, this selfsame life that exists at this place within time. entropy and the scale of the universe are irrelevant and nietzsche specifically says he's not talking about the universe coming full circle. despite our belief in the flow of time, each moment and each perception is a permanent part of time and will exist "perpetually." it sucks that we use words like "permanent" and "eternal" to describe moments as time-objects but there you go. if someone could forward this to borges i'd appreciate

me: smarty man
jorge luis borges: idiot

swampman posted:

does borges miss the point of eternal return? the return is not (paraphrasing nietzsche) to a similar life or an identical life, it's a return to this life, this selfsame life that exists at this place within time. entropy and the scale of the universe are irrelevant and nietzsche specifically says he's not talking about the universe coming full circle. despite our belief in the flow of time, each moment and each perception is a permanent part of time and will exist "perpetually." it sucks that we use words like "permanent" and "eternal" to describe moments as time-objects but there you go. if someone could forward this to borges i'd appreciate

sorry bro but Time doesnt actually exist and is nothing more than a measurement of the relative change in the physical configuration of the universe, necessarily ratcheted by Entropy

as it turns out, Philosophy is Bullshit and also Science's Bitch. marxquote
actually science is some wack ass bullshit and philosopher kings should rule.
but i agree with you about time. although it's infinite in both directions
Thus Spoke Zarathustra is probably the most boring piece of literary fiction. A homeless man/hermit comes down from a mountain and rants and raves to everyone he meets for 300 pages.

Superabound posted:

sorry bro but Time doesnt actually exist and is nothing more than a measurement of the relative change in the physical configuration of the universe, necessarily ratcheted by Entropy

Nice aristotle metaphysics quote mate

Nineteenth and twentieth century people who go by the name of philosopher are pretty pitiful, I agree. But then, so are modern scientists who try to talk about ethics. Such a pile of fail. Political science is the supreme science, ancient greeks and chinese are at the top of the iintellectual food chain because they excelled in the area of morality and the proper ordering of society. Marx is just another rebrand of modern fail.

"fail" "aids"

wasted posted:

Thus Spoke Zarathustra is probably the most boring piece of literary fiction. A homeless man/hermit comes down from a mountain and rants and raves to everyone he meets for 300 pages.

its barely 200 in most English editions

w/e
it felt like 300

Superabound posted:

swampman posted:

that's exactly what i just said you fucking dork

wasted posted:

yeah it owns

swampman posted:

Superabound posted:

swampman posted:

that's exactly what i just said you fucking dork

the Irony

Superabound posted:

swampman posted:

this is totally in agreement with what he just said

oh he said that too. yea