SÃO PAULO, Brazil — Protesters showed up by the thousands in Brazil’s largest cities on Monday night in a remarkable display of strength for an agitation that had begun with small protests against bus-fare increases, then evolved into a broader movement by groups and individuals irate over a range of issues including the country’s high cost of living and lavish new stadium projects.

The growing protests rank among the largest and most resonant since the nation’s military dictatorship ended in 1985, with demonstrators numbering into the tens of thousands gathered here in São Paulo, Brazil’s largest city, and other large protests unfolding in cities like Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Curitiba, Belém and Brasília, the capital, where marchers made their way to the roof of Congress.

Sharing a parallel with the antigovernment protests in Turkey, the demonstrations in Brazil intensified after a harsh police crackdown last week stunned many citizens. In images shared widely on social media, the police here were seen beating unarmed protesters with batons and dispersing crowds by firing rubber bullets and tear gas into their midst.
its heartening to see developing countries begin to appropriate the first worlders' ability to get buttmad about irrelevances, its a right of passage to becoming a rich country as the rage of the impoverished lags behind realities of development so we've got turks whining about mall development and brozillians rioting over bus fare
whiny privileged losers
proof that transsexuals are the vanguard of the marxsit revolution, as mirrored here at tHErhinzZeon.com
muito interessante mas somente os pobres pegam o ônibus lol, não importante

libelous_slander posted:

glodmein

this has been borne out really by the leaderships response:

http://g1.globo.com/politica/noticia/2013/06/dilma-defende-protestos-e-diz-que-governo-ouve-vozes-pela-mudanca.html

(google translate gives a decent impression)

where they seem to be taking it as "oh yes we should move to the left" or whatever, which is probably what they "want".

also lol

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324021104578553491848777544.html
it pwns that late modern liberalism has more or less succeeded in realizing the dream of reducing all popular protest to non-partisan apolitical expressions of discontent that lack both immediate coherent power and the possibility of developing such

Lessons posted:

it pwns that late modern liberalism has more or less succeeded in realizing the dream of reducing all popular protest to non-partisan apolitical expressions of discontent that lack both immediate coherent power and the possibility of developing such

counterpoint: the TEA PARTY

it's a sort of success for the gate keeper's compartmentalization of thoughts/subjects. "politics" has become that boring thing where dems and repubs yell at each other and it's always dumb unsolved arguments. "I don't follow politics." "Nah bro, I'm protesting right now in this social movement thing with my friends. I'll check our that political stuff at NPR when I get home later tonight--hate when my worlds collide."

the disintegration of "politics" from "the everyday" or "entertainment" or "life" or "my job" has, as you said, lead to impotent, frivolous, wheel-spinning protests. The subject-isolated education system and media no doubt, directed by the bourgeoisie, reinforce this disintegration within the worldviews of the working-class. Class conflict or acknowledgment is avoided altogether by the sly tactics of the ruling capitalists to keep the proles ignorant and noncohesive, disintegrating class formation before it had a chance to form.

Skylark posted:

the market has spoken

codywilson posted:

"Nah bro, I'm protesting right now in this social movement thing with my friends. I'll check our that political stuff at NPR when I get home later tonight--hate when my worlds collide."

my freaking friends say this ALL the time!!!

Lessons posted:

i disagree, in lots of ways

codywilson posted:

it's a sort of success for the gate keeper's compartmentalization of thoughts/subjects. "politics" has become that boring thing where dems and repubs yell at each other and it's always dumb unsolved arguments. "I don't follow politics." "Nah bro, I'm protesting right now in this social movement thing with my friends. I'll check our that political stuff at NPR when I get home later tonight--hate when my worlds collide."

the disintegration of "politics" from "the everyday" or "entertainment" or "life" or "my job" has, as you said, lead to impotent, frivolous, wheel-spinning protests. The subject-isolated education system and media no doubt, directed by the bourgeoisie, reinforce this disintegration within the worldviews of the working-class. Class conflict or acknowledgment is avoided altogether by the sly tactics of the ruling capitalists to keep the proles ignorant and noncohesive, disintegrating class formation before it had a chance to form.

why on earth are you projecting your american suburban malaise on to brazil

[account deactivated]

Lessons posted:

the MPL has a coherent leftist platform & decade long history & it's been successful re: bus fare / right to the city. like in literally all mass protests there's coopting by bored middle class liberals whining about 'corruption' etc and fash grouplets but what can you do, & they aren't the mass anyway

yesterday in são paulo was kind of a disaster though, very disorganized & violent

Edited by prohairesis ()

do you mean 'corruption' as in the brazilian government isnt corrupt, or 'corruption' as in thats not what really offends liberals
Thug lessons and goat posted basically the same thing but only one was being silly

codywilson posted:

maybe the proles don't want 'class conciousness'

i reckon they want cheaper bus fares and also to finally earn enough pesos (or whatever) to afford a car
"oive got arse conscissniss mate"

According to a Datafolha poll, 77% of the some 65,000 protesters who gathered to march in São Paulo Monday are college educated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Wall_Street

A study released by City University of New York found that over a third of protestors had incomes over $100,000, 76 percent had bachelor's degrees, and 39 percent had graduate degrees.

zzzzz more pantomime and courtship-rituals from the lumpenbourgeoisie

Lenin was a posh kid with a law degree. Che Guevara was a posh kid with a medical degree. Marx was a posh kid with a law degree. Fidel Castro was a poor kid... with a law degree. Salvador Allende? Posh kid. Medical degree. Um. Pol Pot was a posh kid with a technical degree he got in Paris. Etc

prohairesis posted:

Lessons posted:

the MPL has a coherent leftist platform & decade long history & it's been successful re: bus fare / right to the city. like in literally all mass protests there's coopting by bored middle class liberals whining about 'corruption' etc and fash grouplets but what can you do, & they aren't the mass anyway

yesterday in são paulo was kind of a disaster though, very disorganized & violent

this is all well and good but i'm not sure how it answers what i'm saying. to what extent is the MPL acting in a leadership role here that will allow them to capitalize on their success and gain momentum? ANSWER was the lead organizer for the anti-war protests in 2002-03 that drew hundreds of thousands if not millions, but basically none of those people ended up joining the WWP/PSL or even continuing in the peace movement following the invasion. do you expect that these protests will lead not only to victory on immediate goals, but on the development and consolidation of parties, organizations and mass movements dedicated to more fundamental economic and political issues, and that these institutions will be successful at advancing popular power either in the government or in society more generally? i would love to be proved wrong but my impression so far is that the protests are loosely-organized and unlikely to produce lasting mass institutions with real political efficacy and that they represent more an outpouring of popular discontent than an organized campaign for societal change.

babyfinland posted:

Thug lessons and goat posted basically the same thing but only one was being silly

it's not, i'm expressing exasperation at how ineffective popular movements have been at consolidating their gains, he and that other guy are saying "who gives a shit about bus fares"

Thanks for correcting the premise of a joke at your expense crankypants

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

According to a Datafolha poll, 77% of the some 65,000 protesters who gathered to march in São Paulo Monday are college educated

i suspect this says more about the successes of Brathil's education system than it does the failure of their protests

"can u believe these swarthy sk8boarding translords actually have the gall to make their higher institutions of learning accessible to those outside the upper echelons of the bourgigsiegie???"
the educated young bourgeois are the only ones who can have a protest on terms of nonviolence, because the state doesn't want to turn the hoses on the future elevated peons or the occasional rich kid. without their participation in the movement there is no space for popular expressions of discontent that can use "nonviolence" as a bargaining chip. mass demonstrations of the peasantry are inherently violent as far as the state is concerned. therefore demonstrations by the bourgeois are necessary when they align with the needs of the proletariat. just imo.
Awaken the mind.

swampman posted:

the educated young bourgeois are the only ones who can have a protest on terms of nonviolence, because the state doesn't want to turn the hoses on the future elevated peons or the occasional rich kid. without their participation in the movement there is no space for popular expressions of discontent that can use "nonviolence" as a bargaining chip. mass demonstrations of the peasantry are inherently violent as far as the state is concerned. therefore demonstrations by the bourgeois are necessary when they align with the needs of the proletariat. just imo.

its just like inviting all the rich kids of respected community elders to your high school parties so that they can send the cops on their merry way when they show up to answer noise complaints

firehose sprayin lean
lil jolly ranchers donkin against everyone's foreheads. murderous
they cancelled the fare increases.

direct action gets the goods!
Pwnage. No more crying.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Wall_Street

A study released by City University of New York found that over a third of protestors had incomes over $100,000, 76 percent had bachelor's degrees, and 39 percent had graduate degrees.

zzzzz more pantomime and courtship-rituals from the lumpenbourgeoisie

i think the point is that they want to be bourgeois (because if you cant beat em join em) but cant because its too expensive