Alleged Canada Day bomb plot likely inspired by al-Qaeda publication

Two so-called self-radicalized B.C. residents who allegedly attempted to detonate pressure cooker bombs outside the B.C. legislature during Canada Day celebrations were likely inspired by a recent al-Qaeda publication, say several security experts.

Amanda Marie Korody, 30, and John Stewart Nuttall, 39, both of Surrey, B.C., have each been charged with conspiracy to commit an indictable offence, knowingly facilitating a terrorist activity and possession of an explosive substance.

Links to al-Qaeda doubtful, say experts

Former Canadian Security Intelligence Service agent Michel Juneau-Katsuya said he believed the pair were likely acting completely on their own.

"'Inspired from al-Qaeda' I think is misleading. I don't think we will discover that they had anything to do at all with al-Qaeda, because the indicators are not there."

"Al-Qaeda has never used women. Al-Qaeda converted people who will embrace the cause, who will usually convert and change their names, and these people have Canadian names."

"I think we are witnessing much more of what we have been observing since 9/11, which is the rise of extremists, various extremist groups, which has nothing to do with al-Qaeda, but are using terrorists' means to sort of promote their ideology and promote their message."

He noted that since the Sept. 11 attack there have been 30 bombs detonated in Canada for various causes that had nothing to do with al-Qaeda.

"From that perspective we are probably talking about some lone wolves that are operating a little bit … like we saw in Norway and very, very much like we saw in other parts of Quebec, Ontario and Alberta and B.C. since 9/11.

Al-Qaeda instructions on bomb-making

Juneau-Katsuya said it was more likely the pair were inspired by an al-Qaeda magazine published online that included instructions on how to build the simple pressure cooker bombs used in the alleged plot, along with other types of simple bombs.

Security expert Andrew McGregor agreed the instructions for the bombs were likely drawn from al-Qaeda's Inspire magazine, which is aimed at radicalizing English-speaking youths in North America and Britain.

"They are meant to cause massive casualties to human beings. This is a very easy thing to build. I think the first time it came was in 1971, and instructions were provided in the Anarchist Cookbook, and it’s come to the attention of a number of groups."

Former CSIS director and security expert Ray Boisvert also agreed that the pair were likely inspired by the al-Qaeda publication, which has been linked to the bombings at the Boston Marathon on April 15.

"It's glossy and well constructed in terms of messaging. It would have put a Madison Avenue Advertising agency to some shame because it was very, very well done."

"There were concerns about how deep was that market penetration, how many young people and others were inspired by the message, and I think we're seeing now, given the trend line over the last few years, especially those involving Canadians, those involved in Canada or those going offshore to engage in a violent offshore jihad, it's taking place."

The RCMP said the pair had been tracked closely by police and CSIS since February, and they were able to ensure the bombs allegedly placed at the legislature by the pair were "inert" and unable to detonate.

'Misguided individuals,' says Clark

B.C. Premier Christy Clark said she learned about the alleged plot on Monday, but was given no more information than the public had received about the motivation.

"The RCMP told me what they shared with the public, that these two individuals weren't linked to anyone else. They were self-radicalized followers of some of the al-Qaeda philosophy and ideology.

"They wanted to hit the heart of our democratic process, because they're afraid of democracy," said Clark.

"I think is perfectly possible, sadly, in this day and age for two individuals to become misguided, commit themselves to violence and then find the necessary tools of violence out there on the internet."

Very little information has been released about the pair themselves, but on the music website Reverbnation, a page that appears to belong to Nuttall has the lines for a song entitled In League With Satan.

"We are possessed by all that is evil. The death of your god we demand. We spit at the virgin you worship. And sit at Lord Satan's left hand," read the lyrics.

lol owned by mustang

[account deactivated]
John Stewart Nutall
say several security experts
too bad it wasn't forums poster mustang19

"It's glossy and well constructed in terms of messaging. It would have put a Madison Avenue Advertising agency to some shame because it was very, very well done."

do i smell a CLIO???

Superabound posted:

do i smell a CLIO???

no that smell is actually a double-secret cia medal. which you did not smell. and i was never here

http://azelin.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/inspire-magazine-issue-11.pdf

lemme know if anyone wants more scans
just a warning everyone. i clicked the above link an now im in federal prison. with the fail aides. this has been a corey original™ post

corey posted:

just a warning everyone. i clicked the above link an now im in federal prison. with the fail aides. this has been a corey original™ post

internet in prison? sounds like someones in club fed! say hi to arthur andersen for me

[account deactivated]