[account deactivated]

BidnessLaw posted:

Shocker alert: The anti-Morsi protests were led by secular leftists and Morsi is a rightwing Islamist.

WOW

thats definitely news to everyone here. all hail the militarily appointed leftist pm elbaradei, founder of the liberal party
I know you're aware of it, I'm just reminding you of the inconsistency.

The coup in Egypt is just another attempt by Western cultural-imperialists to spread liberal values and women's rights to countries that should rightfully be ruled by STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN!!! AUSTIN 3:16 SAYS I JUST WHOOPED YOUR ASS - AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE, CAUSE STONE COLD SAYS SO

Edited by jools ()

BidnessLaw posted:

Shocker alert: The anti-Morsi protests were led by secular liberals and Morsi is a rightwing Islamist.

fixt

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/55951/Egypt/Politics-/Egypt-liberal,-leftist-forces-to-protest-Brotherho.aspx

Egypt liberal, leftist forces to protest Brotherhood 'partisan' rule in Tahrir

Revolutionary groups, liberals and leftists head to Tahrir Square rally on Friday to protest Muslim Brotherhood's 'control' over the process of writing a constitution, demand retrials for those accused of murdering protesters

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/national_world&id=9164518

At center stage of the feuding is the ultraconservative Salafi al-Nour Party, the sole main Islamist faction that sided with the mainly secular groups that led the charge against Morsi. On Saturday, the party blocked the appointment of reform leader Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, the People's Champion as prime minister.

sabahi, the leftist candidate, did defend the protests/coup iirc.

though obviously its more strategic than anything, he wouldnt (and shouldnt) side with morsi

priviledge_checker posted:

priviledged again

I just want to emphasize the pitfalls of having strong opinions on issues you have no knowledge about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/finland/10170324/Finland-hosts-annual-wife-carrying-world-championships.html

Miettinen said that he had been doing some track training in preparation of defending his title, but had been slower than anticipated during the race.

His winning time over the 253.5 metre track was one minute and 0.22 seconds.

The world record for the event still stands at 56.9 seconds.

Edited by jools ()

Exclusive: US bankrolled anti-Morsi activists

Aljazeera posted:

President Barack Obama recently stated the United States was not taking sides as Egypt's crisis came to a head with the military overthrow of the democratically elected president.

But a review of dozens of US federal government documents shows Washington has quietly funded senior Egyptian opposition figures who called for toppling of the country's now-deposed president Mohamed Morsi.

Documents obtained by the Investigative Reporting Program at UC Berkeley show the US channeled funding through a State Department programme to promote democracy in the Middle East region. This programme vigorously supported activists and politicians who have fomented unrest in Egypt, after autocratic president Hosni Mubarak was ousted in a popular uprising in February 2011.

Al Jazeera's Muslim Brotherhood Problem

BobDreyfuss posted:

Al Jazeera, the Qatar-based, Qatar-founded and Qatar-controlled mouthpiece for one the Arab kleptocracies of the Persian Gulf, has suffered a mass resignation. Twenty-two journalists who worked for Al Jazeera quit in protest after being told by their Qatari masters to support Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood.
As The New York Times reports, Qatar is engaged in a high-stakes game of influence against Saudi Arabia across the region, including in Syria, where Qatar backs hard-core Islamists, including the Muslim Brotherhood and Al Qaeda–linked fighters, and Saudi Arabia supports the supposedly moderate rebels against Bashar al-Assad’s government. Says the Times:

Qatar, in alliance with Turkey, has given strong financial and diplomatic support to the Muslim Brotherhood, but also to other Islamists operating on the battlefields of Syria and, before that, Libya. Saudi Arabia and the Emirates, by comparison, have sought to restore the old, authoritarian order, fearful that Islamist movements and calls for democracy would destabilize their own nations.

In the Times piece, it’s reported that Saudi Arabia is tilting the balance in its favor, with Qatar having second thought about its aggressive support for the Muslim Brothers and other regional players.

i thought that was pretty much assumed when the state dept. said they weren't gonna cut off military aid after morsi was thrown out last week

peepaw posted:

i thought that was pretty much assumed when the state dept. said they weren't gonna cut off military aid after morsi was thrown out last week

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/11/19411926-us-reviews-egypt-aid-as-arab-nations-pour-12-billion-into-post-morsi-regime?lite

U.S. law requires that aid be cut off to a country that undergoes a military coup, but Western leaders have stopped short of declaring the July 3 transition to be a coup.

Sen. McCain (the cool mccain) acknowledged the decision would be a “tough call,” but added: “The fact is, the United States should not be supporting this coup.”

you might want to get his name out your mouth?
aljazeera arabic's line on morsi/egypt has taken a huge turn for the shitty since they fired the old editor and replaced him w/ am member of the royal family

juan cole is wrong on a lot of things but he gets this one pretty good

http://www.juancole.com/2013/07/aljazeeras-conspiracy-brainless.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+juancole%2Fymbn+%28Informed+Comment%29
the us has funded the egyptian military for decades and will continue to fund it, morsi's ouster is irrelevant

dank_xiaopeng posted:

aljazeera arabic's line on morsi/egypt has taken a huge turn for the shitty since they fired the old editor and replaced him w/ am member of the royal family

juan cole is wrong on a lot of things but he gets this one pretty good

http://www.juancole.com/2013/07/aljazeeras-conspiracy-brainless.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+juancole%2Fymbn+%28Informed+Comment%29

well he suggests in that post that you have to be a crazy person to think that foreign-funded N.G.O.s have been used as arms of U.S. covert intelligence and by our domestic parties to duel over political influence in other countries, which means he's either dumb as hell or a liar

As a matter of fact they've been doing that for a long time!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Study_Memorandum_200

"We must take care that our activities should not give the appearance to the LDCs of an industrialized country policy directed against the LDCs. Caution must be taken that in any approaches in this field we support in the LDCs are ones we can support within this country. "Third World" leaders should be in the forefront and obtain the credit for successful programs. In this context it is important to demonstrate to LDC leaders that such family planning programs have worked and can work within a reasonable period of time."
The report advises, "In these sensitive relations, however, it is important in style as well as substance to avoid the appearance of coercion."

haha yeah

i think it's a bit of a stretch to say that the us is responsible for morsi's ouster; you can't astroturf one of the largest protests in human history. however the us is definitely responsible for albaradei's position as the likely sucessor.
saying US DID TAMARRUD is a gross oversimplification and is dumb
Indeed! El Baradei was the one who insisted Iraq had no WMDs, contrary to Hans Blix!

dank_xiaopeng posted:

and i'd like to think most people don't need a Richard P. Mitchell Collegiate Professor of History at the University of Michigan to tell them that

its just really goofy to me when American media/academics gawk over the popularity of conspiracy theories in Pakistan, Egypt and so on in between explaining why it's okay for us to create a fake health NGO to deceive parents in those countries about whether their kids have been inoculated so we can gather humint
Iran and Morsi were working together to create an alliance against Israel.

Too bad the Egyptian left overthrew him for stupid reasons like not wanting women to wear burkhas or whatever.
pynchon was right

dank_xiaopeng posted:

Well yeah no shit. The u.s. also didn't create the divsions that lead to pinochet or other rightwing coups in latin america. They just helped destablize chile and otherr countries and funded and trained certain political elements. Chile obviously was high level of involvement but you can't really look at the funding going into egypt and not see the same pattern, nor is the egyptian military going to overthrow the governmentt and start arresting brotherhood leaders if there was a real risk of sanctions. The point is that the u.s. always talks democracy but is really looking for economic liberalism and certain things like a somewhat cordial relation with israel, and its what makes all the opeds and their implications that egypt isn't ready for democracy so disgusting.

The point is that the u.s. always talks democracy but is really looking for economic liberalism and certain things like a somewhat cordial relation with israel, and its what makes all the opeds and their implications that egypt isn't ready for democracy so disgusting.

The MB is the market liberal party in Egypt.

I mean really, nobody in this thread knows what they're talking about.

Edited by jools ()

slothrap posted:

dank_xiaopeng posted:

Well yeah no shit. The u.s. also didn't create the divsions that lead to pinochet or other rightwing coups in latin america. They just helped destablize chile and otherr countries and funded and trained certain political elements. Chile obviously was high level of involvement but you can't really look at the funding going into egypt and not see the same pattern, nor is the egyptian military going to overthrow the governmentt and start arresting brotherhood leaders if there was a real risk of sanctions. The point is that the u.s. always talks democracy but is really looking for economic liberalism and certain things like a somewhat cordial relation with israel, and its what makes all the opeds and their implications that egypt isn't ready for democracy so disgusting.

agreedo, which is why the moves to suppress the counterprotests are no surprise, especially considering how firmly ensconced elbaradei is in the global power elite

So Deng, are you, like, okay with the global power elite lobbying for open border policy?
i dunno, are you, like, okay with being a terrible poster
If "terrible poster" = "the only person on this board who knows what they're talking about", then yes.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/the-story-of-egypts-revolution-in-jurassic-park-gifs

aut4 posted:

The point is that the u.s. always talks democracy but is really looking for economic liberalism and certain things like a somewhat cordial relation with israel, and its what makes all the opeds and their implications that egypt isn't ready for democracy so disgusting.

The MB is the market liberal party in Egypt.

I mean really, nobody in this thread knows what they're talking about.

I was under the impression most Egyptian political parties favored market liberalization. Although I just read Al Nusra opposes accepting IMF loans due to Islamic bans on paying interest.

dank_xiaopeng posted:

haha yeah

i think it's a bit of a stretch to say that the us is responsible for morsi's ouster; you can't astroturf one of the largest protests in human history. however the us is definitely responsible for albaradei's position as the likely sucessor.

Is he the likely sucessor? I can't imagine he has much power as vice president, although I guess it'll keep him visible until the next elections.