babyhueypnewton posted:

Jerthebear posted:

Prospero posted:

girdles_gone_wild posted:

European critics of the Nazis, such as economists Ludwig von Mises, Wilhelm Röpke, and F. A. Hayek

didnt those dudes flat out defended fascism when shit got real?

No. Mises and Hayek saw fascism as a dangerous next step to the statism they vehemently opposed. Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom" goes into detail about nazi fascism in particular.

wow what a funny and interesting gimmick in a forum of 10 people. if you're serious about your gimmick, please explain the cambridge controversy to me, from what I understand it put the nail in the coffin of a non-LTV understanding of economics but the arguments are highly technical and I have a pretty poor understanding of mathematical models in economics. how did neo-classical economics survive (other than pretending nothing happened obviously) and how do austrians even deal with marxist and "neo-ricardian" critiques?

i wish i could understand what anyone here was on about so i could identify these meta-gimmicks you keep seeing, your rhizzone seems way more interesting than my rhizzone

babyhueypnewton posted:

Jerthebear posted:

Prospero posted:

European critics of the Nazis, such as economists Ludwig von Mises, Wilhelm Röpke, and F. A. Hayek

No. Mises and Hayek saw fascism as a dangerous next step to the statism they vehemently opposed. Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom" goes into detail about nazi fascism in particular.

wow what a funny and interesting gimmick in a forum of 10 people. if you're serious about your gimmick, please explain the cambridge controversy to me, from what I understand it put the nail in the coffin of a non-LTV understanding of economics but the arguments are highly technical and I have a pretty poor understanding of mathematical models in economics. how did neo-classical economics survive (other than pretending nothing happened obviously) and how do austrians even deal with marxist and "neo-ricardian" critiques?

I found that the best way to meet new people is to have a good hat. Not a baseball cap, but an honest-to-god hat. Make it an interesting one, and people will line up to meet you.

I bought a lime-green fedora the summer before my senior year and wore it everywhere. It came to the point where I couldn't step out for a smoke without people just walking up and talking to me about just about anything. If I broke out my pipe for a smoke, the numbers would double. Seriously, whatever you can do to make yourself interesting (or at least look interesting, but it really helps if you have something to say), will be a good thing to have.

pls dont copy and paste my posts without crediting the author (me) thanks

babyhueypnewton posted:

Jerthebear posted:

Prospero posted:

as i understand it, the capital controversy poked some serious holes in the neo-classical model of wealth/income distribution. holes that are, in my opinion, no larger than the ones that austrians (& friends) have poked in LTV. there exists no utopia, nor a perfect economic model.

no one has ever claimed that 'marxism' (whatever made up shit you're defining that as) is a perfect economic model
nice av btw. when it's raining hard and my car breaks down i got no one to call on except triple a... capitalism...

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

no one has ever claimed that 'marxism' (whatever made up shit you're defining that as) is a perfect economic model

exactly my point. just as i'm clearly not claiming capitalism is without its many and evident flaws.

capitalism is for fags, bro
michael moore sucks at knitting

Jerthebear posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

Jerthebear posted:

Prospero posted:

as i understand it, the capital controversy poked some serious holes in the neo-classical model of wealth/income distribution. holes that are, in my opinion, no larger than the ones that austrians (& friends) have poked in LTV. there exists no utopia, nor a perfect economic model.

you dont appear to understand LTV

right. solid argument.

Jerthebear posted:

laika posted:

Jerthebear posted:

thinking the mud pie problem is the only neo-classic critique of marxist LTV is just as ignorant as thinking that the mud pie problem itself discredits marxist LTV.

your a mudpie

thirdplace posted:

fuck those kiddy torture camps, not just for what they did, but for the inevitable rhizzonic consequences

people irl are asking about stuff because of news or whatever, so maybe i can post in this thread a bit to think about it. idk at the minute

thatll be cool dm i enjoy your economy posts whenever youre lucid

Jerthebear posted:

right. solid argument.

why do you think people have to debate you just because you typed some words on the internet? no one owes you shit, punk

aerdil posted:

yes, please post about some economics DM. i enjoy your economy posts when you're not lucid

lol

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/22/imf-pressure-germany-christine-lagarde

The head of the International Monetary Fund has piled pressure on Germany by recommending a series of crisis-fighting measures that chancellor Angela Merkel has resisted.

IMF managing director Christine Lagarde warned that the euro is under "acute stress" and urged eurozone leaders to channel aid directly to struggling banks rather than via governments. She also called on the European Central Bank to cut interest rates.

The comments came as Italy's prime minister Mario Monti, warned of the apocalyptic consequences if next week's summit of EU leaders were to fail.

The stark message from Lagarde, delivered to eurozone finance ministers who met in Luxembourg, will increase pressure to come up with a unified approach to tackle problems including Spain's struggling banks. She urged the 17 eurozone countries to consider jointly issuing debt, helping troubled banks directly, and suggested relaxing the strict austerity conditions imposed on countries that have received bailouts.

"We are clearly seeing additional tension and acute stress applying to both banks and sovereigns in the euro area," Lagarde said after the meeting in Luxembourg.

"A determined and forceful move towards complete European monetary union should be reaffirmed in order to restore faith," she said. "At the moment, the viability of the European monetary system is questioned."

Asked what Germany would think of her suggestions, she smiled and said: "We hope wisdom will prevail."

i dont understand, i thought aid was embezzled and put into banks already, whats the diff

AmericanNazbro posted:

aerdil posted:

yes, please post about some economics DM. i enjoy your economy posts when you're not lucid

that stuff is actually just trying to capture the properly occult nature of the subject matter. occult in the sense of having knowledge of unseen or hidden forces. it might sound ridiculous or whatever, but that's just because we've become completely accustomed to it that it's a taken for granted assumption. there's also an element of divination to it with the heavy emphasis on predicting future events. "spooking the markets" like you're insulting the gods, ya know?

i mean this is completely serious: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/greek-vote-boosts-asian-stock-markets-but-europe-muted-as-debt-crisis-far-from-resolved/2012/06/18/gJQA8Ft0kV_story.html

But now the focus is back on Spain, whose borrowing costs surged Monday above the 7 percent level that had forced Greece, Portugal and Ireland to seek international help.

The rate reflects what return investors are willing to accept when a country auctions its bonds. Spain’s high bond yields are a sign that investors are increasingly concerned that the country will struggle to save its crippled banks.

it's an ill omen. the markets must be appeased with sacrifices and all that.

i mean there is no way that i can be the only person that thinks this is completely ridiculous on its face, but there you have it.

e:

cleanhands posted:

i dont understand, i thought aid was embezzled and put into banks already, whats the diff

well that's what government bonds are all about, but those at least let countries have control over their short-term interest rates. they're lowering interest rates at the ECB without reducing the amount that governments will have to pay when bonds they've already issued mature in a desperate attempt to continue shielding the banks against losses that they will have to take sooner or later (people getting fed up with austerity and electing a far left or far right party).

Edited by dm ()

nm on this thread and probably posting in general for a while. have fun while i'm gone and remember to be careful about inadvertently kinkshaming people