shennong posted:
ya i was making a feyerabend reference i havent actually read aynthing hes written, i just recite the wiki summary of his theories to my reductionist friends and watch them quake with rage

is his stuff worth reading?

i have no idea

e: gyrofry says yes though, so i am apparently endorsing it via my thread dedication

the mind is not the brain

an image editor will tell you that the A and B squares are the same color. is the image editor correct or are you? what opinion does your brain have on the matter?

dm posted:

appearances can be deceiving

my friend whos a brain chemistry major keeps going on about how in the next hundred years were going to be able to live forever and the technology is there and she gets so worked up that you cant even get a word in and sigh
[account deactivated]

noavbazzer posted:
my friend whos a brain chemistry major keeps going on about how in the next hundred years were going to be able to live forever and the technology is there and she gets so worked up that you cant even get a word in and sigh

im the TA that fails her in her last term of her final year

[account deactivated]

noavbazzer posted:

if anyone acquries this ability i will make it my lifes work to murder them anyways. mwaha.

shennong posted:

dm posted:

such as connectionist networks

but really the statement "the mind is not the brain" is compatible with a mind-brain identity theory as long as you are willing to accept that the relationship is contradictory (which would at least be honest)

dm posted:

shennong posted:

dm posted:

such as connectionist networks

but really the statement "the mind is not the brain" is compatible with a mind-brain identity theory as long as you are willing to accept that the relationship is contradictory (which would at least be honest)

cette papier n'est pas un papier, monsieur dm!!

heres some feel-good reading material courtesy of the royal society: http://royalsociety.org/uploadedFiles/Royal_Society_Content/policy/projects/brain-waves/2012-02-06-BW3.pdf

and heres a blog talking about it a little under the unfortunate title "all your brain are belong to us: neuroscience goes to war"
my friend is doing a neuroscience phd and he has to write + submit an essay on epistemology thats something to do with feyerabend, he asked me like he expected me to know about it but i didnt know SHIT about him so all i could say was to read lenins thing on empiricism or w/e and to read up on why the two slit experiment was considered so problematic

but hes not getting graded on it so i doubt he will do those things

noavbazzer posted:

i was watching a thing on RT about a community south of the black sea that had tons of 100+ yo people, the theory being that they had integrated older people into local governance etc and found a nice way for them to do important things. and then after that they go into some wackjob brit scientist that starts with "my inspiration for creating a cyborg is from some hollywood movie". RT is mostly kinda dumb but it can be really funny

noavbazzer posted:

that's adorable.

i guess my counterpoint is that my friends who are on the bleeding edge of neuroscience research are still having significant issues in probing neuron response, but it's a next step that's within reach over the next decade.

the real problem is direct mapping the brain for signal/response and realistic modeling which, well, is a long ways away.

oh and their work is funded by boeing (among others) and they were seriously approached asking whether it'd be possible to stimulate pain in an individual

noavbazzer posted:

maybe she means, like, the metaphorical sense of living forever through death and by technology she means genetically modified airborn virus strains

guidoanselmi posted:
the real problem is direct mapping the brain for signal/response and realistic modeling which, well, is a long ways away.

there are pretty good 3d maps annotated w/ genetic info for fly brains (which develop pretty stereotypically), and we're starting to get there w/ some other organisms, like we've got some circuits in zebrafish mapped and the optogenetic stuff in mice is being developed pretty quickly. but even if you have the complete map of an organisms' neurons across its lifespan and you have all the activity info for every neuron and a complete timeseries transcriptome for evrey neuron theres still the question of what you actually do with the information.

like how do you turn that dataset from a purely phenomenological descriptive one into something that can address important questions about cognition or whatever you're interested in? i dont think anybody is even really addressing that systematically, its just like, MAP EVERY NEURON and let someone else sort out the big picture

cognition is purely phenomenological. i mean, wouldn't it be cool if it was
even if u can map your brain into some cyborg its still not gonna be you, sorry but ur still gonna die although your shitty metal copy will be roaming the universe as your awful legacy

shennong posted:
like how do you turn that dataset from a purely phenomenological descriptive one into something that can address important questions about cognition or whatever you're interested in? i dont think anybody is even really addressing that systematically, its just like, MAP EVERY NEURON and let someone else sort out the big picture

people try to do that, for example, in neurolinguistics and other fields, but they keep running into this pesky little problem that

Spoiler!
yeah but noone will be able to perform an empirical experiment to prove otherwise.....the immortal soul did not exist....so we invented it......*fart*
is it less weird if your cyborg copy jerks it to anime than if your own flesh self does it?
dont think so small. ur cyborg copy will BE an anime. and have sex w. other cyborg animes. in fluent nihongo. oh brave shinsekai

littlegreenpills posted:
cognition is purely phenomenological. i mean, wouldn't it be cool if it was

i mean phenomenological in the scientific sense, the data don't speak to any particular underlying theoretical constructs

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

shennong posted:

people try to do that, for example, in neurolinguistics and other fields, but they keep running into this pesky little problem that

Spoiler!

neurolinguistics is basically shoving people in MRIs and doesn't give you the kind of resolution or activity information that optogenetic approaches do. i mean we can literally watch action potentials in an active, freely moving mouses' brain and localise them to specific neurons. so i'm not comfortable saying we'll never be able to understand how it works, i think we understand a significant amount about the cell & tissue biology of the CNS, but if you mean we'll never be able to connect the biology completely to a model of cognition i think that's probably correct and is in large part why i stopped caring about neuroscience

shennong posted:
...but even if you have the complete map of an organisms' neurons across its lifespan and you have all the activity info for every neuron and a complete timeseries transcriptome for evrey neuron theres still the question of what you actually do with the information.

there's a prof at caltech who's trying to do this... http://www.klab.caltech.edu/~koch/

my acquaintance who's under him has been there for like 5 years with no end in sight. haven't really bugged him much about his work, though.

im vaguely familiar with koch's visual stuff. i dont envy anyone doing that kind of work, its a long hard slog and no guarantee you're ever going to get to address the big quesitons. imo behavioural models in simpler models like drosophila connected to mapping will probably be more productive over the near term than human stuff, but its hard to say
Here's a science related question: Why should I trust predictions of the effects of climate change from people whose continued funding relies on propagating the fear of such an event.
Because civil servants and contractors involved only in monitoring and modeling climate change have little skin at risk. At the basest level, their jobs are safe and funding is secure provided there's US govt. interest in funding earth sciences.

I mean there's no risk from Jupiter attacking Earth and there's still funding for that - there'll always be some risk from the terrestrial environment that bears monitoring.

You can take matters in your own hands and look at the raw data yourself: http://gcmd.nasa.gov/ and attend conferences such as AGU (http://www.agu.org/meetings/) that have extensive talks and posters on research so you can understand how people arrived at their conclusions.
Why are they any different from say, people in the DEA or CIA. An organization which obviously produces harmful outcomes based on false information but everybody has to keep the charade up to protect their positions and privileges as prophets of fear.

guidoanselmi posted:
You can take matters in your own hands and look at the raw data yourself: http://gcmd.nasa.gov/ and attend conferences such as AGU (http://www.agu.org/meetings/) that have extensive talks and posters on research so you can understand how people arrived at their conclusions.

agreed and ultimately all scientific conclusions should be ratified by popular referendum.

Also lol at the idea of “raw data”

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
Here's a science related question: Why should I trust predictions of the effects of climate change from people whose continued funding relies on propagating the fear of such an event.

youre allowed to examine them in conjunction with predictions funded by energy companies, and then see which is most convincing. the marketplace of ideas is great isnt it

lol at the idea of you, as a person, breathing somewhere in this world.

Also lol at the idea of “raw data”

I dunno the earth science data set, but the Planetary Data Set (pds.nasa.gov) has calibration and engineering data everywhere I've looked - that's just about as 'raw' as you can get. i think it's safe to say we're beyond discussion of observer modifies the observed or similar issues w/r/t this topic. if not, then say it. i can talk about instrumentation a little bit.

gyrofry posted:
agreed and ultimately all scientific conclusions should be ratified by popular referendum.

It's not like the community is a monolithic block with no room for dissent, it's very much the opposite. "Scientific conclusions," or rather findings, are incremental and diverse as the community itself.

I can only really speak to the planetary science community, but for instance there's like at least three different ways to model Titan's atmosphere that come up with fairly similar results despite different assumptions of body geometry, heat xfer. With respect to:

Why are they any different from say, people in the DEA or CIA. An organization which obviously produces harmful outcomes based on false information but everybody has to keep the charade up to protect their positions and privileges as prophets of fear.

their findings - or even their consistency with each other - don't necessarily impact further funding. It's the thoroughness of the proposal and study plan and feasibility of the plan in addressing the science questions that matter. Their findings and the aggregate message from the community is just as suspect as any peer-reviewed body of knowledge with the same epistemological issues.

In otherword, I wouldn't take issues with the scientists themselves as they operate at a level below the funding agencies themselves. They're not funded from fear but institutional inertia. You're more right to take more issue with CBO, Congress, OMB, and administrative, HQ-level people and how they drum up political support but these people wouldn't know the slightest about the investigations and findings themselves. they in turn depend on skkkum like me to interpret the science findings and explain them and their programmatic or whatever impact in managementese. *cue management joke from dilbert*

Edited by guidoanselmi ()

guidoanselmi posted:
^^
I dunno the earth science data set, but the Planetary Data Set (pds.nasa.gov) has calibration and engineering data everywhere I've looked - that's just about as 'raw' as you can get.

presumably he's referring to the choice of instrumentation, the selection of what data to collect, and ultimately the questions and concerns which prompt interrogating nature in such a manner so as to elicit measurable results which refer back to models of climate change. either that or its merely some crude objection to ever trusting the data received through what he considers a potentially corrupted institution, its probably this second one, since hes being typically lazy in this troll

yeah i dunno what he's getting at but i figure i can indulge.

i mean, there's really a somewhat finite selection of measurements to make to help understand climate and develop models. i mean specific spectrometers, imagers, in situ measurements or whatever. you can make your investigations increasingly complex, but there's a reasonable understanding of the higher level measurements you need. it's the issue of understanding what those measurements mean and how they play together that's the hard part and really limits the demand of data gets collected.
we got both kindsa measurements, country AND western