[account deactivated]
I think it was okay right now but I'll probabkly think it was depressing as fuck tomorrow. Karaoke.
wow, what a party animal
I'm going to put you in a labor camp when I'm in power AmericanNazbro
[account deactivated]
I think it may have been consensual but maybe it wasnt fuck
i saw norm cumsky speak at occupy boston and he was always a bit of a rambler but it seems like hes seriously gone off the rez. i think that this is more due to having to correlate the contents of 40 years of studying economics and foreign policy rather than his brain not working. mostly
noam chomsky has studied economics????
Boom. Headshot.

aerdil posted:
I'm going to put you in a labor camp when I'm in power AmericanNazbro

i'm going to harness you to a treadmill, eyelids taped open, while rocky 4 plays on infinite loop. your cowardice and lack of discipline will prevent you from ever achieving these infantile delusions - until i reforge your lumpy mash potato body into a honed weapon capable of wielding the ideas gifted by marx. your salvation from a craven life of complete irrelevancy lies within the eye of the tiger soundtrack

the wire is one of those things that despite being fairly old if someone just starts watching it they feel comfortable talking about it as if they've unearthed some gem

deadwood was better too
i watched both as they were airing. bitch. me. i saw those thigns with my eyes. first. hah.
last weekend i heard a guy telling a girl on what was obviously a first or second date about his plans to liveblog and provide reviews upon his first viewing of the acclaimed hbo series the wire
diagram showing overlap between people who won't stop talking about the wire with people who tell you all about documentary Street Fight
season four was a really moving and tragic piece of television. it makes me think about the lessons learned in waiting for superman, have you seen that? you have to see it

Groulxsmith posted:
last weekend i heard a guy telling a girl on what was obviously a first or second date about his plans to liveblog and provide reviews upon his first viewing of the acclaimed hbo series the wire

That's real interesting story man.

Meursault posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

That's real interesting story man.

whoa. guy who thinks this is acceptable game to spit detected

before i wwatch this can someone confirm whether this is the same reactionary apologetics as living in the end times, or is it a new and exciting reactionary apologetics, tia
its mostly just about how it functions not as "gritty realism" but as the sef-consciousness of a community (baltimore) in the same way as greek tragedy might have, and about the limitations of its fatalistic outlook which leads to social democratic dead end politics (which i think has interesting resonances with badiou's diagnosis of a "new classicism" of resigned finitude and condemnation of hubris), plus some reflections on media and media formats etc.

Groulxsmith posted:

whoa u at the greenhouse cafe too? shouldve said hi man, and it was the third date.

mistersix posted:
its mostly just about how it functions not as "gritty realism" but as the sef-consciousness of a community (baltimore) in the same way as greek tragedy might have, and about the limitations of its fatalistic outlook which leads to social democratic dead end politics (which i think has interesting resonances with badiou's diagnosis of a "new classicism" of resigned finitude and condemnation of hubris), plus some reflections on media and media formats etc.

zizek is a fat retarded stoner nazi

im going to use my State Privilege to slip zizek mindfrying drugs to turn him into a vegetable because i hate him
i like the wire b/c its neat and junk
don't watch television

the idiot's lantern
Listened to half of this, wasn't that great tbh. I disagree with the fundamental thesis, that the wire is about separate worlds and class struggle. If anything, the wire is about the common disciplinary effects of all institutions on individuals, whether it's the free market (the drug game), the bureaucracy (the police), the democratic (the race for mayor), the highly structured (the dockworkers union), the falling apart (the schools). All of these institutions act outside of the individuals who make them up and regulate their behavior whether they try to break out of their social function like Stringer Bell, they try to change the system like Carcetti, or they try to live outside the system with some free will like Omar. The show has countless examples of people trying to act as individuals and being put into their place by the institutions they are a part of or eliminated. Whether it's quotas and stats, profit and drug competition, or party politics and budgeting all institutions regulate individual behavior completely and ensure their own reproduction.

The show is pretty bleak, nothing's really changed at the end and people bring up the same criticisms of it that they do to Foucault, basically "so what can we do?" That's the real question that needs to be explored imo, not some attempt to shoehorn the show into a Marxist interpretation. The most explicitly Marxist part of the show is season 2 with the dock workers union and the collapse of the American industrial working class, but that's the weakest season imo and the theme's Zizek is talking about don't really fit for me.

Also hurr I know it's very lf to say the wire sucks because every white dude loves it for it's "authenticity" but it's actually a brilliant show and has not been fully appreciated even now for it's complexity.Here's a half-decent overview of some of this stuff:

http://cinephile.ca/archives/volume-4-post-genre/dramatizing-individuation-institutions-assemblages-and-the-wire/
lol season 2 is not the weakest season. jeezus christ...
season 2 was the best
i don't know if it was the best but it was certainly top 3

1,2,4 imo

babyhueypnewton posted:
not some attempt to shoehorn the show into a Marxist interpretation.

i only watched a little over a season, but cor blimey, wot the hell is this?
a societal view of class relations? NO! Not again! Not this time! why not ? are slums outside of Marxist interpretation? you dont have to use Marxist analysis, okay, but it's not like its irrelevant, unless fundamental Marxist insight about social tensions stemming from class relations is no longer relevant.

babyhueypnewton posted:
Listened to half of this, wasn't that great tbh.
The show is pretty bleak, nothing's really changed at the end and people bring up the same criticisms of it that they do to Foucault, basically "so what can we do?" That's the real question that needs to be explored imo, not some attempt to shoehorn the show into a Marxist interpretation.

yeah that comes in the half you didnt listen to

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

Groulxsmith posted:
the wire is one of those things that despite being fairly old if someone just starts watching it they feel comfortable talking about it as if they've unearthed some gem

deadwood was better too

haha aren't you goldsmith

i told aberaham that you thought the wire was a stereotypical cop show once and he permabbanned you for it i think lol

that's me and yes he did

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
best wire character was slim charles btw.

Slim Charles owns. The guy who played him is a irl go-go MC I think

no the best character is Lester

cleanhands posted:
before i wwatch this can someone confirm whether this is the same reactionary apologetics as living in the end times, or is it a new and exciting reactionary apologetics, tia

aren't you in love with richard seymour?

blinkandwheeze posted:

cleanhands posted:

aren't you in love with richard seymour?

that SLUT

season 2 is good obv but the greeks subplot is probably the weakest when it comes to the overall themes of the show. in a show where self-perpetuating systems are the only thing keeping order in a decaying society, it's weird to have random mastermind foreign dudes be the secret cause of everything going on.