yeah its seriously poky and the stairs down to the gents are fuckin Hazardous. good pub
shit cider selection, bad pub
my sister avoids the cheese because the clientele are all cunts
lol you drink cider.
[account deactivated]

thirdplace posted:
John Taylor Gatto

What's this? An educational reformist who doesn't spit out garbage for the sole purpose of increasing statistics on standardized tests? Haven't been exposed to him so far in my liberal arts masters program, no sir. It's all about multiple intelligences and dealing with oppositional defiant disorder over here bub.

NounsareVerbs posted:

thirdplace posted:
John Taylor Gatto

What's this? An educational reformist who doesn't spit out garbage for the sole purpose of increasing statistics on standardized tests? Haven't been exposed to him so far in my liberal arts masters program, no sir. It's all about multiple intelligences and dealing with oppositional defiant disorder over here bub.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2012/02/why-anti-authoritarians-are-diagnosed-as-mentally-ill/

...Gaining acceptance into graduate school or medical school and achieving a PhD or MD and becoming a psychologist or psychiatrist means jumping through many hoops, all of which require much behavioral and attentional compliance to authorities, even to those authorities that one lacks respect for. The selection and socialization of mental health professionals tends to breed out many anti-authoritarians. Having steered the higher-education terrain for a decade of my life, I know that degrees and credentials are primarily badges of compliance. Those with extended schooling have lived for many years in a world where one routinely conforms to the demands of authorities. Thus for many MDs and PhDs, people different from them who reject this attentional and behavioral compliance appear to be from another world—a diagnosable one.

I have found that most psychologists, psychiatrists, and other mental health professionals are not only extraordinarily compliant with authorities but also unaware of the magnitude of their obedience. And it also has become clear to me that the anti-authoritarianism of their patients creates enormous anxiety for these professionals, and their anxiety fuels diagnoses and treatments.

In graduate school, I discovered that all it took to be labeled as having “issues with authority” was to not kiss up to a director of clinical training whose personality was a combination of Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich, and Howard Cosell. When I was told by some faculty that I had “issues with authority,” I had mixed feelings about being so labeled. On the one hand, I found it quite amusing, because among the working-class kids whom I had grown up with, I was considered relatively compliant with authorities. After all, I had done my homework, studied, and received good grades. However, while my new “issues with authority” label made me grin because I was now being seen as a “bad boy,” it also very much concerned me about just what kind of a profession that I had entered. Specifically, if somebody such as myself was being labeled with “issues with authority,” what were they calling the kids I grew up with who paid attention to many things that they cared about but didn’t care enough about school to comply there? Well, the answer soon became clear...

"lol if you" are an american who hasn't been told that you have issues with authority

Edited by thirdplace ()

I can't remember which lecture, but Alan Watts once said that going to live in a Zen temple is just like going to the psychiatrist. You should only go if you feel that it is a completely and totally necessary thing and nothing will satisfy you otherwise. No one can rightly compel the individual to seek mental therapy.

thirdplace posted:
"lol if you" are an american who hasn't been told that you have issues with authority

cycloneboy

deadken posted:
lol you drink cider.

real ale is bourgeois sorry

cleanhands posted:

deadken posted:
lol you drink cider.

which is why i drink lager?

oh, right, american *slaps forehead*

deadken posted:

cleanhands posted:

deadken posted:
lol you drink cider.

which is why i drink lager?

thats a ban

im not american fool
nobody really enjoys real ale, they just drink it and smack their lips and act pretentious and wish they were drinking lager. cider is for tramps and slappers, iono, ever since i was 14 and drank too much and vomited all over hampstead heath ive never been able to drink the stuff. lager is crisp refreshing and enjoyable, if its good lager and not heineken or whatever. lager supremacy 1488
thats retarded. like all of the ____ is awesome ____ is shit nerd rants that you idiots go on that is retarded. my posts, on the other hand, are awesome
i dont know what a lager, ale, or cider is haha. i guess theyre beers? why do they have different names. fuck you. is icehouse beer a lager?
cider is made from apples. GROSS. ale is like.... beer, but different. ipa is an ale? sometimes theyre ok but generally theyre a bit pffeh. lager is normal beer, like people drink. you may find it in a can, or in a bottle, or in a bar or pub, or in your belly, and so on
oh yeah. i hate beer and basically hate to drink it unless i pound it down my throat, which i am very good at
I drink: liberty pale ale, coors banquet beer, pbr, and local texas microbrew pale ales you've never heard of. imo IPAs are bullshit but moreso is anything sweet, dark, deep tasting etc... including guiness, stouts, brown ales, wheat beer, etc...
ipa's are the best beer if its a good ipa and not /too/ hoppy.
my go to is sierra nevada pale ale tho
sierra nevada is ok. you're from sf man you gotta drink that liberty.

theres this microbrew from a town next to the place i grew up called, funny enough, Real Ale and they make this shit Rio Blanco Pale Ale (named after the river i grew up on) and besides all that its just the best pale ale out there in general. Real good, they make Fireman's 4 maybe y'all have that in CA?
i drink ice house, schlitz, and labatt, and pbr
pint a stella. 40s
imo coors banquet tall boys > 40s. same amount of alcohol / price a lot of the time and it's just better.
get a 40 of that corona special shit. its good

aerdil posted:
ipa's are the best beer if its a good ipa and not /too/ hoppy.

theres no point in making an IPA unless it's hopped to kingdom come

if you dont roll around in a big pile of citra hops every day i dont know what to say to you
I drink vodka that comes in plastic containers with handles
come 2 west country and live the cider life imo
weird skinny private school girl draws deep on her filtered cigarette and exhales lazily from the side of her mouth, her eyes locked on your eyes. she leans in and whispers "i want u in cider me"
hey, drew, man, i was at the Shark Tank club, and now its a gay club called Hyde, and i been there last night, and there was no sharsk man. No sharks. Just some fish idiots on the wall. Fuckin fucked up. Heres a pic, heres a pic my friend, heres a pic to remind us of times past..

and FUCK, YOU
stop pretending to be poor and drink good things

Crow posted:
hey, drew, man, i was at the Shark Tank club, and now its a gay club called Hyde, and i been there last night, and there was no sharsk man. No sharks. Just some fish idiots on the wall. Fuckin fucked up. Heres a pic, heres a pic my friend, heres a pic to remind us of times past..

and FUCK, YOU

haha what a cool place

animedad posted:
stop pretending to be poor and drink good things

my particular commodity fetishism is the most revolutionary, their substitutes are reactionary

dont make me talk about My Palette

Crow posted:

and FUCK, YOU

hey Man, let's go to the shank tank tonight. mr. stabby is coming.