Goethestein posted:

jools posted:
how are soldiers worse than cops

everything you hate about cops - the racism, the murder, the petty tyranny, the reflexive worship by society - are far worse amongst soldiers

no, yes, no, no

even then the murder is generally of a completely different nature anyway
cops also tend to believe in the Institution of Justice much more than soldiers believe in the Institution of the Military
soldiers are openly racist, calling arabs sand people and hajjis openly and without worry. soldiers engage in far more petty tyrannies: checkpoints, deadly night raids every day without warrant, imprisonment without trial. soldiers are far more respected in society than police; police are very popular, but it's far more common to hear criticism of police than of soldiers
thank you for admitting the tyranny soldiers engage in is far more petty
Live under a military occupation for a week and then claim that police are worse

jools posted:
also whats great is that the atypical antipsychotics that were also introduced around the time of deinstitutionalisation have proven to be no better than the typical antipsychotics they replaced. sure the tardive dyskinesia is less bad, but lol now you weight 200lbs more and have diabetes

wait... go on...

jools posted:
cops also tend to believe in the Institution of Justice much more than soldiers believe in the Institution of the Military

unless of course that institution is trying to bring members of the police force to justice ...

[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

jools posted:
also whats great is that the atypical antipsychotics that were also introduced around the time of deinstitutionalisation have proven to be no better than the typical antipsychotics they replaced. sure the tardive dyskinesia is less bad, but lol now you weight 200lbs more and have diabetes

wait... go on...

http://psychrights.org/research/Digest/NLPs/SpuriousAdvanceofNeurolepticsLancetTurner2008.pdf

goatstein: I think it's possible a few individual cops are okay whereas most soldiers are terrible amoral murderers wherever they go. however a nice person as part of the larger institution will, with the exception of the dude in the OP, invariably betray his/her morals to defend and protect everything that is wrong about the institution of modern policing. whether they do it willingly or because they felt pressured to do so seems pretty irrelevant since the end result is the same for the victims of cops.

anecdotally the # of soldiers who come to regret what they've done after their service seems higher than the # of cops, which suggests the power of indoctrination in police service is higher than in the military. strange since the latter is the one that receives the most attention in popular media. THOUGHTS/??
this is a really dumb and pointless argument
SSOooo LF, who do you hate more? Cops? or Soldiers? Choose wisely or else.

mudcrabs posted:

let's compromise: military police

crustpunk_trotsky posted:
anecdotally the # of soldiers who come to regret what they've done after their service seems higher than the # of cops, which suggests the power of indoctrination in police service is higher than in the military. strange since the latter is the one that receives the most attention in popular media. THOUGHTS/??

the typical experience of a cop is a life-long career, the typical military experience is a couple tours of duty followed by a highly subsidized stint in some sort of higher education

getfiscal posted:

mudcrabs posted:

let's compromise: military police

doesn't the fact that MPs are cops and soldiers cancel out? like, they police soldiers, that's good bc soldiers are evil or w/e.

thirdplace posted:
the typical experience of a cop is a life-long career, the typical military experience is a couple tours of duty followed by a highly subsidized stint in some sort of higher education

+non-treatment of mental disorders developed as a result of service abroad

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

crustpunk_trotsky posted:
goatstein: I think it's possible a few individual cops are okay whereas most soldiers are terrible amoral murderers wherever they go. however a nice person as part of the larger institution will, with the exception of the dude in the OP, invariably betray his/her morals to defend and protect everything that is wrong about the institution of modern policing. whether they do it willingly or because they felt pressured to do so seems pretty irrelevant since the end result is the same for the victims of cops.

or perhaps more soldiers come to regret their actions because their actions of orders of magnitude worse.

yo jools have u read delueze's Postscript on the Societies of Control? its sorta getting at exactly wat ur talkin aboot. also it's only 4 pages hahoheh
haha this thread is funny. funny thread.
write your message and submit happy st patrick's day
i hate my fractal
[account deactivated]
here i got one for you gregy

]
cops become cops because they make a choice, soldiers become soldiers because they have no choice, therefore kill the cops and reach out to the soldiers, imo
I can’t really “hate” cops. Many of them are incredibly brave and selfless despite their faults, Indeed, some of them are real heroes. Sitting at home flecking spittle about them while they’re out attending car accidents and informing parents their kids are dead seems pretty juvenile to be honest.

cleanhands posted:
cops become cops because they make a choice, soldiers become soldiers because they have no choice, therefore kill the cops and reach out to the soldiers, imo

hmmm, very thought provoking and deep analysis. makes you think

for a place that is so critical of liberals for ignoring structural factors and instead playing the morality & individual choice game, a lot of people here love doing just that when it comes to cops and soldiers

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
I can’t really “hate” cops. Many of them are incredibly brave and selfless despite their faults, Indeed, some of them are real heroes. Sitting at home flecking spittle about them while they’re out attending car accidents and informing parents their kids are dead seems pretty juvenile to be honest.

other than traffic enforcement i bet cops spend a solid majority of their time on domestic dispute calls, and while i'm sure they fuck that up a lot by being terrible people it is a genuinely important and necessary thing for someone to do

thirdplace posted:
other than traffic enforcement i bet cops spend a solid majority of their time on domestic dispute calls, and while i'm sure they fuck that up a lot by being terrible people it is a genuinely important and necessary thing for someone to do

goddamn am i ever getting liberal in my dotage

cleanhands posted:

soldiers have a choice, don't be ridiculous

no one has a chhoice. don't be ridiculous

Gregory posted:
i hate my fractal

dude yours has some cool stars and a nice minimalist look or w/e mine just looks like someone rolled a 4 with some dice and then enshrined it :mad:

edit: wasted's is kind of like a fractal swastika http://www.rhizzone.net/forum/user/wasted/

Edited by ilmdge ()

aerdil posted:
yo jools have u read delueze's Postscript on the Societies of Control? its sorta getting at exactly wat ur talkin aboot. also it's only 4 pages hahoheh

lol no is it easy to find

pity the poor capitalist executive who bleeds the world dry, he only does it because of institutional pressure

discipline posted:

Goethestein posted:
Live under a military occupation for a week and then claim that police are worse

ok

police are worse hahaha

i forget the last time the NYPD dropped white phosphorous on Harlem