Nikil Saval is an editor at n+1

this reminded me that i had bookmarked an extremely long critique of n+1 that i never got around to reading and now the domain it was on has expired, rip

edit: wayback machine has it

Edited by Constantignoble ()

sweet, I'm going to read that. I used to be pretty enamored with n+1 (and the american 'literary scene') tbh and it will probably be a good idea to read some takedowns.

cars posted:

roseweird posted:

this article is really pathetic

the comments are rows of headstones for the times 10/10

"We are all in this together and will reason it out together. Or we won't."

Wow. This article sure does try to redefine a perfectly good word beyond any kind of reality.

Why not take a moment to actually look up the word "liberal," and to see where it comes from, what it means, and what words relate to it?

It comes from the Latin, for "free man." or a free thinker.

It also means generous.

Liberals were the revolutionaries who fought the English Conservative Redcoats.

Liberals are the ones who want progress, and believe in a more open, advanced society, with more fairness and justice, who are open to new ideas.

Here are some synonyms for "liberal"

Bountiful, copious, full, generous, luxuriant, avant-garde, breakthrough, cutting-edge, excellent, exceptional, first, foremost, forward, precocious, broad, expansive, plentiful.

Those who seek to redefine such a powerful word are just the opposite.

Let's look up some antonyms to "liberal."

Regressive, intolerant, limited, narrow, greedy, lacking, mean, narrow-minded, ungenerous, wanting.

What's interesting, is when you shine some reality onto a word, by actually going to a real dictionary or thesaurus, and especially in looking at the history of a word and where it came from... one can get quite a different impression than what the propagandists want you to see.

Personally, I prefer the light side, to the dark side, so you can always call me a proud Liberal.

littlegreenpills posted:

I read kill all normies by angela nagle and it was so bad i wrote the most words at once that i ever have in the last 5 years https://medium.com/@curple.turnle/i-didnt-like-kill-all-normies-very-much-225c17868d78

front page

cars posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/magazine/hated-by-the-right-mocked-by-the-left-who-wants-to-be-liberal-anymore.html

The profane hosts of the popular podcast ‘‘Chapo Trap House,’’ prime originators of the left’s liberal-bashing,

hahahah that same quote made me choke when reading it and i was gonna post about it too. yes chapo trap house invented hating liberals from the left.

i ctrl-f'd capitalism and it wasnt in that article. you cant analyze why the left hates liberals without even mentioning capitalism... that is, unless you're the new york times!!

Each side has drawn tremendous energy from opposing this idea of liberalism. At the same time, the space occupied by liberalism itself has shrunk to the point where it’s difficult to locate. Different strands of it now live on under different names. Conservatives have styled themselves as the new defenders of free speech. Democrats have sidestepped ‘‘liberal’’ and embraced ‘‘progressive,’’ a word with its own confusing history, to evoke the good-government, welfare-state inclinations of the New Deal.

Well, i guess if the democrats are calling themselves progressives now, liberals must not exist...

Edited by ilmdge ()

Constantignoble posted:

Nikil Saval is an editor at n+1

this reminded me that i had bookmarked an extremely long critique of n+1 that i never got around to reading and now the domain it was on has expired, rip

edit: wayback machine has it

Edited by Constantignoble (yesterday 21:56:13)

been trying to find this again forever, thanks.

reading articles called things like "ISIS is now in South America", "massive hezbullah training camp forund in Honduras" and "FARC establishing bases in the philipenes", always accompaned by images like this:
someone better get on the phone to tell HRH the queen of england that the falkland islands have fallen to ISIS
[account deactivated]
a good article on Sino-Indian War. some moments jumped out,

in February 2014, Maxwell did the Indian people an inestimable service by releasing the first part of the Brooks-Bhagat report on his website. New Delhi’s immediate reaction was the inexcusable one of blocking his website.

report can be found here

Its conclusion was damning: “Against all evidence of increasing military disadvantage, and all the warnings that the Chinese gave us by actions like those at Galwan and Dhola, the government had convinced itself that when forced to choose between going to war against India and withdrawing, the Chinese would withdraw.” Their indictment of the forward policy approaches the heights of literature: “The Art of War teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy not coming but on our readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking but on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.

What should the Indian public and its representatives learn from the disclosures contained in the Brooks-Bhagat report? The most important is that China is not the aggressive, expansionist nation that two generations of Indians have been reared to believe. In Indian eyes, China committed its original act of aggression when it began to build a road connecting Tibet and Xinjiang through Aksai Chin in the mid-1950s... Topography and hindsight show us that this alignment lost its raison d’etre the moment China annexed Tibet, for the British had chosen it with the specific purpose of blocking the valleys between the two ranges that could have given Russia easy access to Tibet, and thence to India and southern China, through Tibet. This alignment was, therefore, a product of The Great Game, and became history when China annexed Tibet.

However, having secured its basic requirement, China went to great lengths to demonstrate its desire for a negotiated settlement. The lengths to which it was prepared to go were demonstrated by Zhou when he virtually forced himself upon Nehru in New Delhi in February 1960, and went from one Indian cabinet minister’s home to the next, trying to obtain a consensus. Nehru’s failure to take advantage of this extraordinary overture must be counted as one of the greater, and by far the most costly, diplomatic mistakes India has made. For the hostility that Zhou encountered, and the humiliation to which he was subjected by ministers such as Morarji Desai, almost certainly triggered the rapid build-up of Chinese forces in the east and the west, which led Nehru and his advisers to adopt the forward policy.

What did Desai do?

When Zhou complained that India had given the Dalai Lama refuge, Desai reminded him that Karl Marx himself was given asylum in the United Kingdom. Then, when Zhou asked why the government had permitted protests outside the Chinese embassy, Desai once more underlined the fundamental distinction between dictatorship and democracy. His own effigies, he noted, were burnt in the streets after every Budget he presented in Parliament.

Smarmy pontification based in political ignorance - typical indian ruling class behaviour.
a misstep in an otherwise good article

The dangers that democracies face from ill-informed public opinion is, therefore, the second lesson to be learned from the debacle of 1962. Nehru knew that he had used up most of his political capital getting Indians to accept China’s annexation of Tibet. When China began to build its Tibet-Xinjiang road without even informing, let alone reaching an agreement with India, and when a spate of revelations of the oppression the Chinese had unleashed upon Tibet gained currency after the Dalai Lama’s arrival, he felt unable to concede any more ground.

imo Nehru wasn't as concerned with domestic public opinion as of imperialist designs, playing them against the commies. further, i don't think public opinion in the 60s about commies was worse than today's, shaped by the hellish domination of corporate broadcasting and social media where every patriot is constantly exorcising the ghost of ancestor's defeat.

Edited by slipdisco ()

so after reading most of Listen Liberal i'm starting to notice things differently. like the reaction to Kid Rock maybe wanting to be a senator. do i want kid rock to be a senator? no, but that's because i don't agree with his politics. but the liberal reaction is to laugh because he's not from the professional class. he's just a buttrocker from michigan they say. well i bet i have more in common with a buttrocker from michigan than i do with the action figure display of rictus grin crackerass lawyers you have to offer me. ah, but Kid Rock lacks competence and would be manipulated by our enemies, Mostly Russia, they say, as the hyperprofessional elite class destroys the party by clicking on dick pill spam

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

(nodding along and agreeing with your point) But I'd add that additionally, I Do want kid rock to be a senator.
had kinda assumed kid rock was already a senator
Mother Jones Magazine http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/07/are-people-disgusted-by-the-homeless/
It just ends there, thats it? Thats thw whoel post? Good work, Kevin Drum, you're take is Hotter than Hell
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

The researchers solved their conundrum by suggesting that most people are disgusted by the homeless. No kidding. About half the homeless suffer from a mental illness and a third abuse either alcohol or drugs. You’d be crazy not to have a reflexive disgust of a population like that. Is that really so hard to get?

None of this means we can’t or shouldn’t have empathy for the homele

the researchers solved their conundrum by suggesting that most people are disgusted by the homeless
my girlfriend just read 'crazy rich asians' and has started on the sequel 'china rich girlfriend'... i told her when she's ready to hear about asians who are truly rich and crazy to read mishima
feeling disgust towards extreme poors is innate. is that really so hard to get????? please like and subscribe to my blog, on mother jones dot com.
I'm not sure that the concept of empathy works on a level higher than the individual, plus I don't think many Good Liberal Types actually have the experiences to "empathize" with a homeless person by the true meaning of the word. it's mostly code for pity and social posturing, and those are ugly and disgusting ways to view people.
you are correct, father of animes.
on topic: the history of the communist party of the soviet union (bolsheviki)
im reading some althusser, but all i can think about is that aerdil saw a good meltdown while reading althusser in a cafe. and also that althusser murdered his wife
I'm reading Another Country, and I'm about to read the Kite Runner which my mom just read and gave to me. she sez i read boring stuff!!

tears posted:

althusser murdered his wife

how did i not know this. and that if my googling serves me well he also confessed to being a complete academic fraud. wow

he confessed to being an academic fraud in his delusional schizo addled memoirs where he also details late night meetings with the general de gaulle and his efforts to purchase a nuclear submarine
[account deactivated]
tom delonge is NOT an academic fraud and i eagerly await his further research into the influence of alien spacecraft on human history.
so why do people still read althusser, knowing these things
what i mean is that his "confession" to academic fraudulence was really obviously delusional ramblings and it's absurd to take it seriously. I don't care about his work that much so i will abstain from the reading psycho wife murderers debate.
Althusser is good despite killing his wife and later going crazy. Local color.

Petrol posted:

so why do people still read althusser, knowing these things

whim

I don't get the 'althusser trop fort' pun.

Edit: our schools are failing us

Edited by Belphegor ()

its explained in the footnotes

Keven posted:

good despite

catchphrase

coincidentally discipline just posted something bashing althusser on facebook, im too much of a coward to say anything on there but it always strikes me that most of the liberal critiques that dismiss althusser's philosophical project because of the killing of his wife always characterize it as some sort of straight up misogynistic murder while never mentioning that it occurred after a painful surgery, that caused a depressive episode, for which doctors overprescribed him niamid causing further mental instability and debilitating effects, all within the context of a life-long battle with severe manic-depressive episodes. from what i've read about it, i think the french authorities were right to declare him mentally incompetent to stand trial and confine him to a psychiatric hospital.

it's a tragic episode, and his wife helene doesn't get the attention that she deserves as a marxist intellectual and comrade in her own right, but it's definitely not as simple as just sexual violence gone wrong. and i don't think it should cast too much of a pale over the innovative and monumentally important work althusser did on ideology and marxism in general.

Edited by aerdil ()