counter-point: unrecorded history
goddammit tpaine
well my degree is in economics and chinese history i guess
what degree lol

christmas_cheer posted:
the only communists i ever see are online or those that set up a booth at occupy oakland. oh and the north korean hell-state but they don't have much in common. the only other communists i know of exist only in the dustbin of history

yeah, quote trotsky, ya fookin trot.

hey commies when trotsky lived in mexico to flee being icepick murdered for no reason did anybody tell him what his name meant in spanish

Garpstein posted:
what degree lol

i have an honours ba in economics. which makes me a top world expert on everything i say, duh. recorded history.

Isn't the real problem with liberalism the way it holds itself up as the only common sense real world let's be reasonable way to solve problems? All while only existing as a weird consequence of american intelligence services locking anyone who was actually a leftist in jail or at the very least infiltrating their groups and discrediting them. then the right making clear they didn't care about anyone, and so forcing people to join this weak liberal project if they had a conscience and wanted to make immediate political change.

so it makes sense that liberals are short sighted and don't realize what they're doing, cause they only exist out of a weird pressure to not be one thing and not be another thing. It's the ultimate ugly compromise ineffectual political thing, would you expect some weird truck made out of pieces you found in the trash to haul your tribe to the promised land?

Garpstein posted:
on the other hand, recorded history.,..

Making a point to show that a point is not a point is not as good as making a nonpoint to show that a point is not a point. Using a horse to show that a horse is not a horse is not as good as using a nonhorse to show that a horse is not a horse.

new rule: if i see goatstein make a post shorter than a paragraph (three sentences), hes going to get locked up. duration of policy: until he stops being so lazy (never?)

Combat liberalism
[account deactivated]
i am the Dean of Semiotics at the International Institute Of Very Difficult Things
http://thefivefoldpath.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/i-fucked-up/
lmao
if u cant handle a random twitter person telling u to kill yourself what are you even doing on the internet jesus christ
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Groulxsmith posted:
http://thefivefoldpath.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/i-fucked-up/

thats mr gone btw

hes goofy but hes a good person imo

discipline posted:
do we really need another thread about how talking on the internet is not in fact analogous to talking irl

Yes, kill yourself.

I thought the 'Mao starved millions' meme was just some Dengist shit that ignored Mao actually putting an end to China's regular famines which were part of his motivation for becoming a great leader in the first place, but i dont have ten PhDs in Chinology or whatever so I'd appreciate being corrected on that point.

Also what the heck, dudes called christmas cheer but s/hes a real downer, cheer up dude
[account deactivated]

cleanhands posted:
I thought the 'Mao starved millions' meme was just some Dengist shit that ignored Mao actually putting an end to China's regular famines which were part of his motivation for becoming a great leader in the first place, but i dont have ten PhDs in Chinology or whatever so I'd appreciate being corrected on that point.

there was a big famine under mao that caused like 20 to 30 million excess deaths which was caused largely by bad weather plus terrible policies. which is a pretty big deal.

getfiscal posted:

cleanhands posted:

there was a big famine under mao that caused like 20 to 30 million excess deaths which was caused largely by bad weather plus terrible policies. which is a pretty big deal.

I know that happened, but I don't know how bad the famines were before the GLF. We don't seem to talk about famines post-Mao, so my assumption is that, far from causing a famine, Mao defeated famine itself.

cleanhands posted:
We don't seem to talk about famines post-Mao, so my assumption is that, far from causing a famine, Mao defeated famine itself.

lol

cleanhands posted:
I know that happened, but I don't know how bad the famines were before the GLF. We don't seem to talk about famines post-Mao, so my assumption is that, far from causing a famine, Mao defeated famine itself.

its true, he did. this is denied by a lot of 'mainstream scientists,' but ancient astronaut theorists generally agree that mao did infact defeat famine itself

mao seized power in 1949 and since then there have been numerous space missions by humanity, but you rarely see mao praised for defeating space
Unfortunately Mao died before he could fight and destroy the word 'no', the stage of history awaits a new champion...
barack obama
For real though if you want to claim Mao caused a famine you can't start your history recording from the point after the previous famine which he didn't cause, which most popular anti-Mao history likes to do. My history's even worse than my posting though so I can't exactly offer a coherent counter narrative.

cleanhands posted:
For real though if you want to claim Mao caused a famine you can't start your history recording from the point after the previous famine which he didn't cause, which most popular anti-Mao history likes to do. My history's even worse than my posting though so I can't exactly offer a coherent counter narrative.

mao didn't cause a famine, but the institutions and people put in place by the chinese communist party under mao's paramount leadership had the effect of starving millions of people. it was a "policy famine". and people are right to get pretty mad or upset about it, even if mao(ists) did a bunch to help in other ways, and even if china would possibly worse off overall without mao's health policy.

cleanhands posted:

getfiscal posted:

cleanhands posted:

they were just as bad

also most modern famines are policy famines as far as i know. that is, there is usually enough food within transport distance, and/or very specific leader choices led to the famines (collectivization, export of remaining food). that's why amartya sen said that famine was basically caused by a lack of democracy, the idea being that democracies tend to coordinate food supplies in a minimally effective way because of responsiveness to citizen demand. the counterpoint is that india had famines after independence and such here and there.
The Famine to End All Famines

christmas_cheer posted:
The Famine to End All Famines

[account deactivated]

cleanhands posted:

Also what the heck, dudes called christmas cheer but s/hes a real downer, cheer up dude

that's an interesting point. on the other hand, mao handled the famine in a ludicrously incompetent fashion that caused the deaths of tens of millions in agony. im sure that getfiscal has a book here or there that claims otherwise; i'm also sure that i can cite twice as many that claim that reptillians did 9/11.

Yeah you'd have to cite a bunch of paranoid conspiracy-ravings to be able to argue your point, so what?
[account deactivated]
what happen to linoleum knife man.