[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

found a ton of great books on the curb today
Nadja by Breton

personal fave

I think the best book i ever picked up off a curb was lord jim.

stegosaurus posted:

I think the best book i ever picked up off a curb was lord jim.

i should re-read lord jim soon. i read it in 2008 or so and loved it.

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

I'm reading Alexandra Popoff's "The Wives" about the wives of Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Nabokov, Bulgakov, Mandelstam and Solzhenitsyn.

what's it say?

it turns out none of them ever wrote great literature or accomplished anything note worthy.
My Mom just told me Mao believed that broken glass was a good fertilizer and this was responsible for injuring a great many Chinese peasants.

just checking in to see if this is bourgeoisie propaganda.

HenryKrinkle posted:

My Mom just told me Mao believed that broken glass was a good fertilizer and this was responsible for injuring a great many Chinese peasants.

just checking in to see if this is bourgeoisie propaganda.

that's sort of garbled. the real story is that deng xiaoping was a big fan of annie lennox.

The deuterocanonical book of Judith has a lovely story of a widow that saves her humble people from encroaching imperialist destruction, through a combination of piety, feminine wiles, and two blows of the sword.

that's a nice painting of scarlett johannson

shame that never happened

aerdil posted:

ahahaha yea man. high five bro. ahahaha wow dude. ahahahaha funny shit ahahahah. kill them liberal white people ahahaha. stupid shits. ahahaha kill them on sight. oh shit my nose is bleeding, some good shit right here

wasted posted:

aerdil posted:

ahahaha yea man. high five bro. ahahaha wow dude. ahahahaha funny shit ahahahah. kill them liberal white people ahahaha. stupid shits. ahahaha kill them on sight. oh shit my nose is bleeding, some good shit right here

maybe he means it would have created martyrs or something

HenryKrinkle posted:

wait whats' the context here, who wanted to shoot occupy leaders

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

wait whats' the context here, who wanted to shoot occupy leaders

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/549516/fbi-spy-files-on-the-occupy-movement.pdf

large PDF of heavily redacted FBI docs on Occupy. the identity of the individual or group that wanted to shoot occupy leaders is redacted for vaguely defined "law enforcement confidentiality" reasons.

HenryKrinkle posted:

wasted posted:

aerdil posted:

maybe he means it would have created martyrs or something

yea john brown and huey p. newton are still viewed as "controversial" figures.

that sniper fire shit is what I hear in the breakroom. great intelligence, fbi, how did you manage to find some white males frustrated and pathetic enough to brag about how they would like to shoot someone

stegosaurus posted:

that sniper fire shit is what I hear in the breakroom. great intelligence, fbi, how did you manage to find some white males frustrated and pathetic enough to brag about how they would like to shoot someone

postmodernism requires that even sociopaths have a motive

HenryKrinkle posted:

hOLY COW! wHAT A FUCKED UP WORLD WE LEVE IN, WHERE SOMEONE WOULD WANT TO DO THAT, aND IT WASN'T ME DEFINITELY NOT IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WERE THINKING.

[account deactivated]
i'm reading "mao's last revolution". did you know that mao's reasoning for "obsessing about revisionism" was that he wanted the soviet union and america to engage in a full nuclear exchange, possibly killing half of all humanity, because that would leave mao in charge of the ruins? you may think that's unlikely. but this harvard professor says it, so it must be true.
Reading Catching Fire... I know, I'm three years late. Also reading Tony Danza's book about his recent experience teaching in a Philly high school. Anyone else see that A&E show Teach? I'm hoping to do a lot more reading over the break. Happy holidays!
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
hey if anyone wants to do a cover for 'selected essays on the study of philosophy by workers peasants and soldiers' pm me. i'm finally putting this together in acrobat.
[account deactivated]
got a copy of minima moralia by adorno & being and time by heidegger for christmas. i wonder if my brother purposefully tried to run the ideological gambit from marxist to nazi
F adorno.
i mentioned after finitude to my old analytic philosopher roommate and he immediately sent me all of ray brassier's books as well as his doctoral thesis, before raving about badiou. worlds collide....... ..

stegosaurus posted:

hey if anyone wants to do a cover for 'selected essays on the study of philosophy by workers peasants and soldiers' pm me. i'm finally putting this together in acrobat.

Do you know that the more I read about Mao the more I like him, Mao basically owned real fucking hard until like the cultural revolution where he kinda fucked up imo. What books can I read to fuel my Mao fantasies?
what is really "kinda fucked up imo" is capitalist roaders perpetually slandering the historic legacy of the highest stage of the proletarian revolution thus far.

blinkandwheeze posted:

what is really "kinda fucked up imo" is capitalist roaders perpetually slandering the historic legacy of the highest stage of the proletarian revolution thus far.

hey blink i've heard about how the cultural revolution informed say the panthers and the students in Paris in 68 and such, do you know any material that goes deeper into the global effect of the cultural revolution?

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

blinkandwheeze posted:

hey blink i've heard about how the cultural revolution informed say the panthers and the students in Paris in 68 and such, do you know any material that goes deeper into the global effect of the cultural revolution?

maoism in the usa
maoism in france

if you want to go even deeper, maoism in the developed world by robert j. alexander looks like a good overview

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

pdf of maoism in the developed world
i suggest enver hoxha's "reflections on china", which explains how mao was a right-wing revisionist, which is true, even if the chinese revolution had many positive aspects.

blinkandwheeze posted:

pdf of maoism in the developed world

tyvm, i started the google books version but i shall read this

iirc "maoism in the developed world" is more just a detailed record of various maoist groups in each country, rather than like a discussion of why maoism is obviously wrong.