http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95836

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

“This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class,” Jordan said today from his Waterford home. “I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else.”

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Jordan alleged his rejection from the police force was discrimination. He sued the city, saying his civil rights were violated because he was denied equal protection under the law.

But the U.S. District Court found that New London had “shown a rational basis for the policy.” In a ruling dated Aug. 23, the 2nd Circuit agreed. The court said the policy might be unwise but was a rational way to reduce job turnover.

Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.

thanks for this article from the year 2000
fml
” American police ”

Lykourgos posted:

” American police ”

it's like american football, or gridiron

I think he referring to... one sec..
We've had this discussion over the last few weeks in one of classes and as nice as it is to want high intelligence recruits, they're more likely to leave the force within 3 years, less likely to use force (but more likely to use it incorrectly when they are required to, such as discharging a weapon, etc) and generally don't fit in well to the command structure. If you were to recruit college graduates, it would increase the cost of policing because of the need to offer competitive wages to college graduates, but at the same time you'd have a high turnover rate because intelligent people generally don't last as police officers, so it would just be a higher cost force that is not more effective
[account deactivated]
kill anyone with glasses, imo. good policy.
We've no use for intellectuals in this outfit. What we need is chimpanzees. Let me give you a word of advice: never say a word to us about being intelligent. We will think for you, my friend. Don't forget it.
OH MY GOD I HEARD ON THE DAIY SHOW THAT THE POLICE DONT WANT TO HIRE BETA NERDS LET ME MAKE AN INTERNET THREAD ABOUT IT
CBC: "Montreal police will be sporting new, darker uniforms as of March 5. They say they will be trading in their light-blue shirts for blue-black shirts to keep up with current trends seen in police forces across North America. Studies suggest people associate the colour black with power."

I associate black with power too, pigs.

*rolls up sleeve to show tattoo of marcus garvey*
next they'll be wearing varsity jackets
why not just slap on an Eastern Mystical symbol and be done with it

Crow posted:

why not just slap on an Eastern Mystical symbol and be done with it

[account deactivated]
why can i only upvote once
becaus you only have one account i guess. like a true noob