being culturally catholic is awesome

you eat fish on fridays and make nerds feel uncomfortable plus protestants are shit

KilledInADuel posted:

drwhat posted:

huh canada is the most catholic (%-wise) anglophone country in the world (43%). i didn't know that. makes sense i guess

ireland is 84% catholic

oh right i guess they speak english there. i don't know why i haven't run into very many people on forums who are from ireland. they must have lives or something

aerdil posted:

lol http://www.weather.com/news/pope-resigns-20130211

Cool, God signing off on the Pope's decision.

drwhat posted:

oh right i guess they speak english there. i don't know why i haven't run into very many people on forums who are from ireland. they must have lives or something

they dont have the internet or the ability to use computers

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

drwhat posted:

they dont have the internet or the ability to use computers

sounds like paradise

xipe is irish i think. he invited me to hang out in dublin but i never made it there
was it a jo invite
Pope Accepts Senior Analyst Position At Catholic Think Tank
NEWS IN BRIEF • Religion • News • ISSUE 49•07 • Feb 12, 2013

VATICAN CITY—Just hours after announcing his resignation from the papacy Monday, Pope Benedict XVI confirmed that he had accepted a lucrative senior analyst position at a New York–based Catholic think tank, the Westchester Institute for Ethics and the Human Person. “My years at the Vatican have been tremendously rewarding, but the time has come for me to move on to new challenges, and after interviewing for a variety of different positions, the senior analyst job at the Westchester Institute seemed like the natural next step for my career,” said the 85-year-old Benedict, whose extensive résumé reportedly begins with the line “Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of Apostles, 2005-2013.” “With my experience, I believe I can bring a unique perspective to today’s most important policy debates, whether it’s opposing homosexual behavior or denouncing the use of contraception in AIDS-stricken nations. I look forward to getting started this March.” Benedict added that he plans to maintain a good relationship with his soon-to-be former employer, just in case any worthwhile positions open up in the future.

Edited by ilmdge ()

I'm a catholic too. Even went to a papal mass by this motherfucker! Course the best thing about the catholic church is liberation theology, but meh.
i went to a jp2 mass... my middle names are john paul...

Red_Canadian posted:

Course the best thing about the catholic church is liberation theology, but meh.

actually so-called 'liberation theology' is heresy and worldliness.

the secular world is bullshit. let's get jesuit

actually a good friend of mine was this close to going off to jesuit boot camp a year or two ago but then he was like, well, i agree with everything you guys are saying, this is great, except, well, the god thing is kind of weird. i should go now bye
saw jp2 in rome back in 2000. he was killin it, started with all his classics and encored with a bit of his newer stuff. definitely made me feel catholic like i never did before (nor after, cause i stopped believing in god/the church in 2001)
Cool things that Catholics did: 1) Counter-Reformation 2) Inquisition 3) Protecting indigenous tribes in Latin America from imperial harrassment (until they were kicked out) 4) Jansenism 5) Liberation Theology.
definitely pulling for a comeback of the Sedia gestatoria and papal tiara

getfiscal posted:

who's all catholic here?

agnus_dei, ilmdge, getfiscal.... hmm.... not sure who else.

I just remembered there was a catholic lady here called eggplants that seemed to know a lot. I think she maybe was involved in the Catholic Worker Movement (???_) iirc..

yo, tomorrow is ash wednesday. hope y'all r goin to church