The Netherlands: Queen Says She Will Step Down
By THOMAS ERDBRINK
Published: January 28, 2013

Queen Beatrix announced Monday that she would abdicate on April 30 after serving as the Netherlands’ head of state for 33 years. Her eldest son, Prince Willem-Alexander, 45, will succeed her in the largely ceremonial role. In a speech broadcast on Dutch state television, the queen said it was time for a new generation to take on the responsibility of leading the country. Prime Minister Mark Rutte thanked the queen, left, for her service, calling her “an icon.” Mr. Rutte added that Queen Beatrix, who turns 75 on Thursday, had “applied herself heart and soul for Dutch society,” according to The Associated Press.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/world/europe/queen-beatrix-of-the-netherlands-says-she-will-step-down.html
fucking finally
That’s a shame, I think even Marxists can agree that the continuity provided by a gracious monarch has proved itself in many countries that feature the highest quality of life and egalitarianism in the world.
Five out of the six highest nations on the Human Development Index are constitutional monarchies
Thanks for making this thread; it is important that we observe these important moments in royal history.
[account deactivated]
So do the royal families in those other minor European countries get the same level of tabloid press as the UK royal family gets?
oh, not the real queen. w/e dude
They found Richard III's skeleton under a parking lot
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21063882
Richard III was a usurper and pretender to the throne. put him back under the parking lot
from richard III's wife's wiki:
Elizabeth was called "the most beautiful woman in the Island of Britain" with "heavy-lidded eyes like those of a dragon", suggesting a perhaps unusual criterion by which beauty in late medieval England was judged.

ilmdge posted:

Richard III was a usurper and pretender to the throne. put him back under the parking lot

im tired of this forums incessant pro tudor bias

the only good english leader was cromwell and his only real fault is that he didn't kill enough irishmen
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ninety-gaffes-in-ninety-years-2290148.html I got him to post here. guess who

Goethestein posted:

That just plays on people's ignorance of peerage, and is also a product of changes that act against feudal nobility. If you didn't limit it to being a princess, and you assumed a time period that most of these fantasies take place in, then you could gain noble title by doing those very things listed on the equestria side of the chart.

but not a princess. jesus ch*st
this is why the pope never should have stepped down all of a sudden everyone's like wait you can do that and next thing you know everyone's abdicating everything.
the pope and the queen, sittin in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
im enlisted now
i'
m in love now
i love how