[account deactivated]
ITS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO EDUCATE YOU.

Take an urban rents geographic psychosexuality course for crissakes.
Wealthy professional people want to live in dynamic areas of major cities close to professional jobs as well as transportation and cultural attractions. In a culture that values dynamism and authenticity a lot of locales that fit this profile are in areas that were neglected and overlooked during an age of suburban expansion, and thus are often populated by the poor.

As well as this: any international, cosmopolitan city with a perceived high quality of life is a target for rich foreign nationals to own homes there as part of their transnational security and lifestyle plan, perhaps to raise children, and an influx of this money into such cities (New York, London, Sydney, Vancouver etc.) pushes house prices in desirable areas to ridiculous levels

The priced-out locals go somewhere else.
And stop whining, the average median rent for an apartment across the whole Sydney metro region, suburbs included, is $1800 a month.

Paying $1000 for that piece o crap is a bargain.
[account deactivated]
get veedo onna phone
¡¡¡IM WALKIN HERE!!!
move to Chicago and sublet from christ chridty who is in love
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

hahaha NO thank you

Yeah if it wasn’t the pizza boxes on the floor it would be the bipolar chicks or pregnant pole dancers coming knocking at my door crying about John, and I don’t want to tell them that he’s In Love and can’t see them anymore

when i lived in john's place, he had naught utensils nor plates but a single cup, which spillethed over with Unrealized Love
Well we got 2 inches of rain last night alone which brings out the creepy crawlies and I woke up this morning to find this lil’ fella had been watching me sleep.

I want to post a lot in this thread and so forth but I have acouple stuff i have to do tonight first. One important point, for each vacant unit, there's a rent value at which it's more profitable to keep a place vacant until you trick a tenant into signing a 1 or 2 year lease that they will have trouble honoring, due to all the terrible things wrong with the apartment. They could drop the price down on those places to something reasonable, and get someone right away, who is going to want to stay there forever due to the low rent, and will complain about every rent increase. Or they can leave the place vacant, and when someone makes the mistake of moving there, they will either sacrifice all their deposits and so on to break the lease, or they'll tough it out and continue paying the pre-inflated rent for a couple years. The rental market in NYC is not about housing, it's about siphoning money from people who don't understand the rental market.
sounds like its about landlords siphoning air into their lungs. mb try to fix that.

karphead posted:

sounds like its about landlords siphoning air into their lungs. mb try to fix that.

Antisemitic User loses mayoral candidacy for this post

swamppppman posted this before, it was a good read

www.crepusculum.org:3711/domus/Rents-through-the-Roof.pdf
isnt it to lure out of town idiots, mostly? also whats the deal with rent control
oh swampman covered that, my bad
i don't need plates or cup
I'm trying to gentrify my neighborhood but I'm still like the only white person here. this sucks, i wanna be rich.
I also don't have facbook or tv btw
triple cup, styrofoam
my mom told me she'd read about the gentrification of my neighborhood in the nyt or something, and how its actually a good thing because nobody is being forced out and its retained its indigenous flavor as a mexican theme park for lincoln park restaurant adventurers.
on two occasions ive had armoured policemen knock on my door and apologize because they had the wrong apartment

e: and both times i thanked them lol

Edited by kinch ()

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

the average median rent

since nationalists have scared away precious business from montreal, rent is cheap here if you're willing to live slightly away from the downtown. the problem is that you either need some hipster profession like you play bass in a post-rock band, or you need to go to mcgill for medical school, or you need to speak fluent french. i get around that by having my parents pay for every single one of my bills.
Man Montreal sounds like a treat.

stegosaurus posted:

one of the drawbacks is that it sort of has a small-town feel sometimes. like it doesn't have that endless quality that new york has or shanghai or probably london and so on.

[account deactivated]
Sounds cool

Sydney used to have a live music scene until publicans realized that poker machines make them a lot more money
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

stegosaurus posted:
one of the drawbacks is that it sort of has a small-town feel sometimes. like it doesn't have that endless quality that new york has or shanghai or probably london and so on.

Really? One thing I’m impressed in aerial photos of montreal I’ve seen is that those dense rowhouse neighbourhoods go on for miles and miles and aren’t all torn up like their equivalents in Baltimore or Philadelphia. London has a different feel: you can be right in the inner city and it can like a small village because there’s such a mix of density: but that mix goes on for ages so you get bits in the suburbs that feel very urban and bustling.

You want a ‘city’ that goes on forever try LA, jesus: 100 miles of unbroken sprawl east to west no joke

getfiscal posted:

stegosaurus posted:

how about quebec city

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/04/sydney-melbourne-expensive-cities

1. Tokyo, Japan (+1 place)

2. Osaka, Japan (+1)

3. Sydney, Australia (+4)

4=. Oslo, Norway (+1)

4=. Melbourne, Australia (+4)

6. Singapore (+3)

7. Zurich, Switzerland (-6)

8. Paris, France (-2)

9. Caracas, Venezuela (+25)

10. Geneva, Switzerland (-7)

So uh yeah I had to check to make sure I wasn’t exaggerating but that’s ridiculous

Ten years ago no Australian cities were in the top 50

No Moscow no real list

ilmdge posted:

how about quebec city

well the stereotype about quebec city is that it is more conservative in terms of living. like montreal has a vibrant arts scene and has more diversity in terms of people and languages. the feeling is that quebec is more "corporate" overall, even though montreal is the business capital of the province. quebec city is also completely french. quebec city has an old city part which is what most tourists focus on, which is very pretty, but i don't know how much use one would get out of it if one lived there. i'm not sure about rent and things, i'd expect it's similar to montreal in terms of cost.

Crow posted:

No Moscow no real list

It’s definitely one of those ex-pat lists (‘domestic help’ is a category on here lol) but yeah. I can imagine some out-of-control property and high-end markets there but is food and transport and shit like that very expensive in Moscow?

I was impressed at what good value London was which says something

Oh and Mr Crow i'm reading this at the moment, you may like it

http://calvertjournal.com/comment/show/52/owen-hatherley-architecture-design-moscow-metro

animedad posted:

isnt it to lure out of town idiots, mostly? also whats the deal with rent control

For one is the out of towners. The economic engine of the city runs on youth, people come here ready to scrape by. But after a while a lot of the out of towners have been here, yknow, 10-15 years, they're ready to have marriages, dogs, babies, and a little bit of frikin living space for once! Who says you can't have a home office off the L train? The upper classes can ride the wave of gentrification, every time they want to upgrade their lives, they can just move further along the subway line and get a bigger place for the same money.

Bushwick is falling very quickly to this form of gentrification now that it's been "cleaned up" so much, and the best part for the arriving whites is that these buildings were all constructed in the 1930s so there are tons of family-friendly living spaces here. This is also the best part for the landlords because rent stabilization is expiring very quickly throughout this neighborhood.

The ideal is that people are never "priced out" of their neighborhoods, this was the point of rent control - essentially a rent controlled apartment stays very cheap for a long time, as long as the original renter, or someone in their family, are living there as their primary residence. There are very few rent controlled units left. There are still a lot of rent stabilized units in the city, whose rents can only be raised by certain percentages depending on how the lease is renewed, but these are disappearing quickly (as their rents rise above the maximum rent qualifying for stabilization) and there are lots of Drrty Tricks landlords can use to get a unit destabilized.

Spatial Deconcentration

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Crow posted:

No Moscow no real list

It’s definitely one of those ex-pat lists (‘domestic help’ is a category on here lol) but yeah. I can imagine some out-of-control property and high-end markets there but is food and transport and shit like that very expensive in Moscow?

I was impressed at what good value London was which says something

Oh and Mr Crow i'm reading this at the moment, you may like it

http://calvertjournal.com/comment/show/52/owen-hatherley-architecture-design-moscow-metro

transport can be pretty pricey unless you use the metro system, which is the best one i EVER seen, even though it obviously has suffered since the collapse. i read that article you linked a couple weeks ago and it's pretty spot-on. carriages are usually loud tho

food seems to be kind of split, either affordable or ridiculous. its a huge city so there's options, but you can tell its an oligarch city by just looking at many of the restaurants. it seems to have gotten better though. same for shopping

otherwise hotels and clubs are pretty dang expensive, hostels are okay, and property is astronomical. i've never seen such tough bouncers/"facecontrol". like many places in the world i can waltz through security in my hugo boss suit and the right look on my face (no not a funny look). not so in moscow

on the other hand discipline said Moscow was cheaper to get around than London so who knows, in this wild and crazy world, with such people in it!