Stompin' Tom Connors dies at 77
Country-folk legend and Canadian cultural icon was known for his toe-tapping songs

Canadian country-folk legend Stompin' Tom Connors, whose toe-tapping musical spirit and fierce patriotism established him as one of Canada's strongest cultural icons, has died. He was 77.

Connors passed away Wednesday from what a spokesman described as "natural causes."

Brian Edwards said the musician, rarely seen without his signature black cowboy hat and stomping cowboy boots, knew his health was declining and had penned a message for his fans a few days before his death.

In the message posted on his website, Connors says Canada kept him "inspired with it's beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world."

Connors is survived by his wife Lena, two sons, two daughters and several grandchildren.

Dubbed Stompin' Tom for his propensity to pound the floor with his left foot during performances, Connors garnered a devoted following through straight-ahead country-folk tunes that drew inspiration from his extensive travels and focused on the everyman.

Although wide commercial appeal escaped Connors for much of his four-decade career, his heritage-soaked songs like Canada Day, Up Canada Way, The Hockey Song, Bud the Spud, and Sudbury Saturday Night, have come to be regarded as veritable national anthems thanks to their unabashed embrace of all things Canadiana.

Still, Connors often complained that not enough songs were being written about his homeland.

"I don't know why I seem to be the only one, or almost the only one, writing about this country," Connors said in a rare one-on-one interview at his home in Halton Hills, Ont., in 2008.

"It just amazes me that I've been going so long I would think that somebody else (would have) picked up the torch a long time ago and started writing tons of songs about this country. This country is the most underwritten country in the world as far as songs are concerned. We starve. The people in this country are starving for songs about their homeland."

Fervent patriot

Connor's fervent patriotism brought controversy when his principles put him at loggerheads with the Canadian music industry.

In 1978, he famously returned a handful of Juno Awards he had amassed in previous years, complaining that some artists were being awarded in categories outside their genre while other winners had conducted most of their work outside of the country. He derided artists that moved to the United States as "border jumpers."

"I feel that the Junos should be for people who are living in Canada, whose main base of business operations is in Canada, who are working toward the recognition of Canadian talent in this country and who are trying to further the export of such talent from this country to the world with a view to proudly showing off what this country can contribute to the world market," he said in a statement at the time.

The declaration marked the beginning of a 10-year self-imposed exile from the spotlight.

From Connors' earliest days, life was a battle.

He was born in Saint John, N.B., on Feb. 9, 1936 to an unwed teenage mother. According to his autobiography, Before the Fame, he often lived hand-to-mouth as a youngster, hitchhiking with his mother from the age of three, begging on the street by the age of four. At age eight, he was placed in the care of Children's Aid and adopted a year later by a family in Skinner's Pond, P.E.I. He ran away four years later to hitchhike across the country.

Connors bought his first guitar at age 14 and picked up odd jobs as he wandered from town to town, at times working on fishing boats, as a grave digger, tobacco picker and fry cook.

Humble beginnings

Legend has it that Connors began his musical career when he found himself a nickel short of a beer at the Maple Leaf Hotel in Timmins, Ont., in 1964 at age 28.

The bartender agreed to give him a drink if he would play a few songs but that turned into a 14-month contract to play at the hotel. Three years later, Connors made his first album and garnered his first hit in 1970 with Bud The Spud.

Hundreds more songs followed, many based on actual events, people, and towns he had visited.

"I'm a man of the land, I go out into the country and I talk to people and I know the jobs they do and how they feel about their jobs," Connors has said.

"And I've been doing that all my life so I know Canada like the palm of my hand. I don't need a map to go anywhere in Canada, I know it all."

In 1988, Connors emerged from his decade-long protest with the album Fiddle and Song, featuring a new fiddle style and the songs Canada Day, Up Canada Way, Lady kd lang, and I Am the Wind. It was followed in 1990 by a 70-city Canadian tour that established him as one of the country's best loved troubadours.

But his strong convictions about the music industry remained. Connors declined induction into the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame in 1993.

Accolades he did embrace included an appointment to the Order of Canada in 1996, and his own postage stamp.

"Whatever I do, in my writing, I do it for others," Connors said in the 2008 interview. "I do it for my country and I do it for my countrymen and that's the only value that I really have. If there was no money in this, I'd be doing it anyway. I've always been that way. Because it's what I am."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/03/06/stompin-tom-obit.html

"I don't know why I seem to be the only one, or almost the only one, writing about this country," Connors said

because canada is boring as shit that's why

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

because canada is boring as shit that's why

Oh I remember
Out on the prairie
I’d eat my tim hortons
And a bag of dairy
I been workin’ all day
As a parasitic labor aristocrat
My life ain’t so bad
It’s cushioned by social democracy

What is that? Country music is about hardship and freedom and the roll of the dice. It doesn’t make sense in a country like Canada, it’s too incongruous, like Israeli rap or whatever
uh oh... who's gonna be the third

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

[account deactivated]
welp canada is over

i moved to montreal wednesday. let's separate

drwhat posted:

welp canada is over

welcome to montreal.

getfiscal posted:

drwhat posted:
welp canada is over

welcome to montreal.

thank you. everyone here is lovely in both manner and appearance, i am not sure how i got in

also today at 6:30 a pervert's guide to ideology was playing at the cinematheque quebecoise with english voice apparently. i didn't expect to see that anywhere in a cinema let alone one in north america. and there is still graffiti about dancing on the cinders of the system from ye olde occupy.

what are you up to in the city
i start a new job on the 18th, they were kind of weird about the start date so i ended up coming here a little early so i have little money and no plans til then. so i'm not doing much. drinking some french beer and reading i guess. it is chilly outside and i don't know one person here. i am hoping a coworker or two will be helpful in constructing some sort of social life i guess

if you have any advice on cheap/free things to do i would be all ears. i was here for two months in 2010 and i didn't end up doing much because the language thing made me feel hugely awkward and i want to do better this time around. i comprehend it fairly well but i am totally embarrassed to speak it because i constantly think i am fucking up. so far it's been totally ok though. just a weird transition

drwhat posted:

i start a new job on the 18th, they were kind of weird about the start date so i ended up coming here a little early so i have little money and no plans til then. so i'm not doing much. drinking some french beer and reading i guess. it is chilly outside and i don't know one person here. i am hoping a coworker or two will be helpful in constructing some sort of social life i guess

if you have any advice on cheap/free things to do i would be all ears. i was here for two months in 2010 and i didn't end up doing much because the language thing made me feel hugely awkward and i want to do better this time around. i comprehend it fairly well but i am totally embarrassed to speak it because i constantly think i am fucking up. so far it's been totally ok though. just a weird transition

cool. good luck at your new job. what neighbourhood do you live in? i dunno what sort of stuff you like but there are a lot of like free or cheap concerts offered by things like students at mcgill. you can go see the permanent collection for free at the museum of fine arts, which is good times. there are lots of public cultural centres and shit that put together free shows and talks and such. they have cheap language courses too which you might want to look into depending on your job schedule, like i think they offer a saturday morning class. volunteering is probably a good idea as a way to make friends, you might want to try somewhere in NDG or something because there are more english-speaking people there (that's what i did last time i was there). oh they have cinema politica concordia which offers donation-only great documentaries at concordia's downtown campus. anything else just ask.

thanks that is all awesome info, wow.

I got a room on really short notice in I guess griffintown ? notre dame and guy. seems handy to things. I will need to move again in april though. the job is a few blocks north of here , east of victoria square.
cool, i used to live north of there sort of near guy and st-catherine.

the banq library is a good resource as well. they have a large dvd collection if you want free rentals, they have free french conversation clubs, free wifi, stuff like that.
[account deactivated]
Most of the guys from The Guess Who are still alive right?

MadMedico posted:

Most of the guys from The Guess Who are still alive right?

yes.

[account deactivated]