In yet another break with Catholic tradition, Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of two women, one of whom was a Muslim, during a Maundy Thursday ritual that has never before included either.

According to the Associated Press, Pope Francis’ unorthodox move angered many traditionalists in the Catholic Church who called the decision a “questionable example.” Liberals, however, reportedly welcomed it as a sign that the church is becoming more inclusive.

Pope Francis performed the ritual, which commemorates Christ’s Last Supper, on 12 inmates between the ages of 14 and 21 at a juvenile detention center outside of Rome, instead of performing it on Catholic priests at one of Rome’s basilicas as previous Popes have done.

"This is a symbol, it is a sign. Washing your feet means I am at your service," Francis told selected participants at the Casal del Marmo facility.

"Help one another. This is what Jesus teaches us," he said. "This is what I do. And I do it with my heart. I do this with my heart because it is my duty. As a priest and bishop, I must be at your service."

Although Pope Francis performed the rite on women more than once while serving as Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio and archbishop of Buenos Aires, religious experts say that his inclusion of women in the ceremony as Pope marked a groundbreaking move for the church.

Edward Peters, a canon lawyer, wrote in a blog post that the Congregation for Divine Worship stipulated in a 1988 letter to bishops that "the washing of the feet of chosen men ... represents the service and charity of Christ, who came 'not to be served, but to serve.'"

"By disregarding his own law in this matter, Francis violates, of course, no divine directive," Peters wrote, according to the AP. "What he does do, I fear, is set a questionable example."

Chris Gillibrand, whose blog CathCon covers Catholic news, also disagreed with the pope’s act. “Given his active support for the charismatic movement in his Diocese, one can only be concerned that he could be prepared to ordain women,” Gillibrand wrote. “How can the Pope maintain discipline in the Church if he himself does not conform himself to prevailing ecclesiastical legislation? [sic]” Rev. Federico Lombardi, the Vatican’s spokesman, defended the Pope’s actios, saying that the ceremony took place in “a small, unique community made up also of women,” and that “excluding the girls would have been inopportune in light of the simple aim of communicating a message of love to all."

http://www.ibtimes.com/pope-francis-washes-muslim-womans-feet-did-he-violate-catholic-church-canon-1160979
i am desperately looking for catholics who have anything bad to say about it. call me +1 614 032 9202
my folks seem to like their new pope. four thumbs up so far
his grand canyon jump was way cooler imo

littlegreenpills posted:

i am desperately looking for catholics who have anything bad to say about it. call me +1 614 032 9202

http://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/28/popes-like-dads-dont-have-a-choice-in-the-matter/

Catholics should not make demands of the Holy Father, they should seek to learn from his wisdom, for he is their leader, the Successor of St. Peter
and yet when goatstein tries to wash muslim teen womens feet the whole community gets in an uproar just because it's for sexual instead of religious reasons....hypocrisy?
Pioneering Pope Pecks Pumps, Pulps Precedent
Pucker Up! Pontiff Pleasures Pagan's Phalanges
"Ina-POPE-riate!" Podophilia Probe Pierces Privacy, Papal Presser Pleas

Edited by swampman ()

Personally, OP, I think, well, this might just be me, but I think the pope is always effing stuntin
Happy Easter

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

littlegreenpills posted:

I dialed it and kept calling you +1 but some lady said something in either france or spanish and i kept repeating it but she said the same thing over and over again

thats central ohio, fucker, and i know cuz i got a 614 number too.

btw, this is not a "stunt" by the pope considering he did same before becoming pope as well . please read tthe following

Luke 7:36-50.
36 Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to eat. 37 And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, 38 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, “This Man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.”
40 And Jesus answered and said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.”
So he said, “Teacher, say it.”
41 “There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?”
43 Simon answered and said, “I suppose the one whom he forgave more.”
And He said to him, “You have rightly judged.” 44 Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 47 Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”
48 Then He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
49 And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”
50 Then He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”

[account deactivated]
omg, im racist
[account deactivated]
so the pope's a foot fetishist. please dont kinkshame.
the pope. More like the poop, in my opinion.

Goethestein posted:

the pope. More like the poop, in my opinion.

Pope Poo-Poos Poster's Poop Pun

sometimes i think i see a new Tom post, and then i blink and it's gone. ill rub my eyes for a second and look at the screen again and all that's there is goatstein posting about poop.
Speaking personally, I do order pu-hilly cheese steaks every day at Subway.

ilmdge posted:

tpaine posted:

littlegreenpills posted:

I dialed it and kept calling you +1 but some lady said something in either france or spanish and i kept repeating it but she said the same thing over and over again

thats central ohio, fucker, and i know cuz i got a 614 number too.

btw, this is not a "stunt" by the pope considering he did same before becoming pope as well . please read tthe following

Luke 7:36-50.
36 Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to eat. 37 And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, 38 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, “This Man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.”
40 And Jesus answered and said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.”
So he said, “Teacher, say it.”
41 “There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?”
43 Simon answered and said, “I suppose the one whom he forgave more.”
And He said to him, “You have rightly judged.” 44 Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 47 Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”
48 Then He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
49 And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”
50 Then He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”

uhh... *Glances out window at the Olentangy river* I'm totally from Chile, you guys... don't look for me 'round Columbus... Columbus Georgia? Yeah totes, I don't even know the States!

Edited by dipshit420 ()

[account deactivated]
he was doin really good but he dropped the ball
Pope comes out against Matt Yglesias.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22370487
pope comes out
6 school buses is alright, but i bet the pope could jump 8