roseweird posted:

i wasn't here when you said it before so can you tell me a little about how big ag ownz

hmm well i don't have anything terribly specific other than being a fundamental aspect of the way of life that we've become accustomed to

[account deactivated]
Horticulture chat sucks Christ stop it already.
there's a saying... you are what you eat. you literally are a product of ADM, Cargill, CHS, ConAgra, Syngenta, Monsanto, etc. etc. Big Ag is every one of us.
[account deactivated]
hatred of the self is, in my opinion, terribly sad. life is beautiful, and even the most wretched of creatures is a most spectacular creation.
like HIV or blood-eating parasites
[account deactivated]
*citation needed*
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Are you in that third
[account deactivated]
thats a sheep

roseweird posted:

Unusual News - Michigan Bans Furry Pigs

As of April 1, the mangalitsa will be a wanted pig in Michigan. And that has some farmers very upset.

A new regulation developed by the state’s Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will prohibit the fur-covered pigs. State officials claim the pigs represent a threat to pig farmers.

But some farmers raise the mangalitsa, which produces marbled pork sought by some consumers. These farmers claim the state is in cahoots with the Michigan Pork Producers Association, which represents large pig farms that want to eliminate smaller competitors who raise the furry swine and other “heritage” pigs, which they refer to as “wild hogs” and “feral swine.”

Pete Kennedy of the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund has called the prohibition “a brazen power grab” by the Michigan DNR, which is “using the state Invasive Species Act to expand its jurisdiction beyond hunting and fishing to farming operations.”

Anyone found in possession of just one of these animals could be subject to a felony conviction and serve up to four years in prison.

the mangulica is the serbo-hungarian autonomous breed of swine, more american oppression of the serbian people, now we can't even bring our pigs to this country

innsmouthful posted:

i learned last week that one should never refer to somebody who grows cranberries as a cranberry "farmer," they're cranberry "growers." i don't know a fucking thing about cranberries except that driving on the dykes that separate the bogs is scary shit when you've had a swampy spring like ours

driving on the what now? jesus, it's 2013. let's not be so crass

lol nice catch

in other news i had a pretty surreal farming experience today. i was ridin along in a spreader when the driver looks over at me and is like "hey, mouthful, you like rap music?"

of course i said yeah, i did. he looks directly ahead, switches into fourth gear so he can floor it a bit and says "alright man, let's get niggerish in here!" we then proceeded to bump the best of death row records while spreading fertilizer on an empty as fuck 116-acre midwest field. never thought i'd see the day.
Thats cool. He pulled a paula deen
it was less about his use of racial slurs and more about the fact that an empty cornfield is not a place i ever really expected that i'd be listening to tupac full blast.
people on the farms usually get music about 20, 30 years late due to tariffs. Occasionally a TV signal drifts off path but most people are good enough to report it up the chain.