forgot the c... that's right Crap
rap hasn't innovated since 1994

it's still angry and proud guys talking weird right

well prog rock is like on a psychic plane of infinite light by now
what do you guys think about kendrick lamar? i think he's great, but tbh i get a lot of mixed signals from his rap
I like the ninka turtle rap

gwap posted:

what do you guys think about kendrick lamar? i think he's great, but tbh i get a lot of mixed signals from his rap

he's alright but he should quit fucking around with west coast producers jocking 20 year old trap beats and just go straight to the source

or find some locals who can give him a separate identity because despite the fact the south runs things for a good reason, rap's in dire need of diversification

ive only heard like 2 kendrick lamar songs and i don't remember them. what im saying is i thought he was p boring.

peepaw posted:

gwap posted:

he's alright but he should quit fucking around with west coast producers jocking 20 year old trap beats and just go straight to the source

or find some locals who can give him a separate identity because despite the fact the south runs things for a good reason, rap's in dire need of diversification

imo the beats are a nice call back to the 90's and are modern enough, nothing really new is coming out of the west though. every other west coast rapper (yg, tyga, etc.) is a southern copy cat tbh.

ex:

(2 Southerners, 1 Angeleno, and 0 Bay Area Rappers) "back to the bay" indeed.

all the black people in california left and went to the south anyway (literally a case of "they took our jobs"), so maybe that's what happened... (unless you like cholo rap of course)

Edited by gwap ()

a lot of people got into kendrick lamar for the "social" message he was trying to convey, including me. i have since stopped trying to figure out what that message is and kendrick has now turned into the often referenced champion of every non-weed smoking loser on earth. not necessarily california's redemption

at least it's better than DC i guess (wale lol). i listened to enough rich nigerian "rappers" growing up

Edited by gwap ()

schoolboy q is also good, imo
all supporters of mackelmore will be crucified in the streets
my favourite rap star is cripple billy. cripple billy is tough as nails and gets the rap done right. cripple billy spits verbs and nouns like he's a grammarian. there's lots of swears in cripple billy's raps but you'll never be the same after hearing them all in a string.
im still on sum 99 ish

SaintJust posted:

im still on sum 99 ish

mods: probate user asap for posting drag on video, any further links to ruff ryder associates will be dealt similar fate i hope.

Are you now, or were you ever a member of the Ruff Ryders?
Have you ever written any music, poetry, or plays advocating stopping, dropping, shutting 'em down and/or opening up shop?
yes to all

gwap posted:

yes to all

Motherfucker, keep the caskets flowing
You done got yourself, caught up in some shit you can't handle
And you know I can't stand you, you're a man too
This one time I'mma letta dog be a dog

im actually really liking the new dopehead mixtape

some days i just don't know if im a mark-ass bitch or a hoe-ass buster

SariBari posted:

SaintJust posted:

im still on sum 99 ish

mods: probate user asap for posting drag on video, any further links to ruff ryder associates will be dealt similar fate i hope.

ryde or dye...

clanzy posted:

some days i just don't know if im a mark-ass bitch or a hoe-ass buster

neither; trick ass mark.

SkuzApo posted:

Are you now, or were you ever a member of the Ruff Ryders?
Have you ever written any music, poetry, or plays advocating stopping, dropping, shutting 'em down and/or opening up shop?

[account deactivated]
I ski. which means that i ski as in, actually ski, like with skis, and also that I do cocaine.
i like kendrick because he actually bothers with having bars in the year of 2013, is a nice break from the standards of southern rap, and tries to say shit without being a conscious rapper that gives embarrassing lectures indistinguishable from a youth pastor's sermons.
kendrick used to bother having bars now he just raps about how good of a rapper he is in a uniform aggressive tone & it is really trite
i mean, you're probably more up on his shit than me (i basically just have kanye on repeat), but both his albums were good. i thought his control verse was good when it blew up. i mean, it's definitely brag rap, but the bars were good.

kendrick went from writing this to sh!t that is barely a step above battle raps about unleashing metaphysical lyrical murder, someone needs to stage an intervention asap

this is an exception tho he is very good here
i only judge rappers by their studio albums, otherwise i could never justify that lil wayne is a good rapper
really tho i only listen to b r i c k s q u a d 1 0 1 7 and b r i c k s q u a d 1 0 1 7 affiliated artists, there is very little reason to be listening to anything else in 2013 tbqh

waka flocka flame is likely the best and the worst rapper to have ever lived
uh i dont really know what you could say is "bad" about flocka, he's lyrically competent even if most of his technique is in his delivery, he doesn't do anything onyx or m.o.p. or any other shout rap hasn't done before (& being from queens originally this is a tradition he is openly influenced by) but because he is atl instead of new york & raps over 808s instead of dusty mpc sh*t people think he is singlehandedly destroying the culture. FLEX

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

u r shit
my taste in rap at the moment is pretty much determined by what inspires me to stomp children to death the most
i apparently met eazy e when i was a kid and didnt know it when my family visited la.
Hopsin

blinkandwheeze posted:

...there is very little reason to be listening to anything else in 2013 tbqh

finally this thread got Tight, tha. failaids to the haters backhand complimenting the south's offerings. keep biting... swanging... chopping...leaning...all, courtesy of the dirty 3rd!