deadken posted:

lol how u finna make like 60 posts in this thread while i cook up some Peas

gotta go fast

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

a consort-pair of deities

[account deactivated]
all tpaines ironic posts about being a goony goon for his atheism seem to have an aura of desperate confession given that he is a self-described failure who drinks alone every night and believes that human beings are moronic sheeple undeserving of pity
im reading about rational choice theory for a horrible exam i have tomorrow evening and which i shall fail
[account deactivated]

MindMaster posted:

im reading about rational choice theory for a horrible exam i have tomorrow evening and which i shall fail

that doesnt seem very rational

roseweird posted:

okay look i was rushing from class to work so i was high strung and it was on my mind never mind i'm ridiculous i know just forget about it

i am a student and i do the same thing, in fact i talk about research more than most people i know want to.

[account deactivated]
i just finished lermontov's hero of our time & now i'm reading mishima's confessions of a mask. Cheers

deadken posted:

all tpaines ironic posts about being a goony goon for his atheism seem to have an aura of desperate confession given that he is a self-described failure who drinks alone every night and believes that human beings are moronic sheeple undeserving of pity

same but your posts about taking advantage of your friends and substance abuse

tpaine posted:

deadken posted:

you wish you were me

i think you're jealous of me because i actually have fun when i drink

deadken posted:

i just finished lermontov's hero of our time & now i'm reading mishima's confessions of a mask. Cheers

i finished mishimas sound of waves and i didnt think it was that interesting. is it representative of his other stuff?

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

deadken posted:

i finished mishimas sound of waves and i didnt think it was that interesting. is it representative of his other stuff?

i dunno the only other thing i've read is sun & steel. and i watched the film. does that count. it doesn't count

i dont know

deadken posted:

Now now, let's not disparage drinking alone

c_man posted:

deadken posted:

sound of waves is his weirdest novel, it keeps suggesting something horrible or supernatural or whatever will happen but

Spoiler!

and it actually has a happy ending of sorts which is unusual for him, although after the banquet kinda does it too

my favorite is the last book in sea of fertility, though that whole series is really great. maybe you should give that series a try (start at the beginning of course). id love to talk about mishima here actually

gyrofry posted:

MindMaster posted:

that doesnt seem very rational

its because i dont have a choice. i dont have the rational choice outlined in the text.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
we all do that tpaine it's called reading posts on the rhizzone
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
actually cancel that, read The Sailor who Fell From Grace with the Sea. that one's the most accessible and the most naiive and powerful, sea of fertility is more like a refinement of that one
[account deactivated]

MindMaster posted:

sound of waves is his weirdest novel, it keeps suggesting something horrible or supernatural or whatever will happen but

i did not get this impression. it seemed like some sort of weird japanese horatio alger story?

c_man posted:

MindMaster posted:

i did not get this impression. it seemed like some sort of weird japanese horatio alger story?

its the novel which i least connected with though im not sure if thats a good thing

there are some parts that are ominous especially when you consider his style, i think there's a place on the island they give some strange name like "widow's cliff" or something similar, and the scene in the cave where the boys play at being shaman, whenever he does that in his other novels it's usually some kind of omen of beauty/jouissance that will destroy the lovers but it never happens and they just grow up and fuck forever somehow

ah okay, i never read anything else by him so i dont have that context
in temple of dawn theres an old german literary professor character who shows up and is supposed to be mishima's earlier self, and this professor tells about his imagined world in which nearly all inhabitants are gruesomely ugly, with some born incredibly beautiful. the beautiful ones are fed and bathed and treated with love and technological conveniences to groom them for being ritualistically and gruesomely killed before they have a chance to age, as a spectacle for the ugly viewers who can then "remember" them with love forever, as ideal beings in a society divided between the remembered and those who do the remembering.
[account deactivated]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatsuhiko_Shibusawa id like to read this guy but i dont have much time