daddyholes posted:

ptsd is linked to bpd which from what i understand suggests ptsd may be primed by other factors, like however poorly you get raised to go shoot arabs for a living.

PTSD comes from your nationalist indoctrination and actions conflicting so heavily with your childhood indoctrination with Christian morals. Which is why IDF soldiers dont get PTSD

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

that's the whole fucking thing, isn't it? that's the concern for PTSD among soldiers. that's the protagonist breaking down at the end of Zero Dark Thirty. that's the climax of Full Metal Jacket. that's the "crying and shooting" genre of Israeli cinema. what we are supposed to feel for Chris Kyle in this film. i don't even know what to say. i feel as though i have communed with the computer god and some great truth has been revealed to me

*gnostic scientist hurriedly gathers up and reads reams of paper spilling out of Divine Mainframe*

"It seems to be interfacing with someone named.....le_bugsplat_face???"

great minds think alike

American Sniper kind of reminds me of the movie that’s showing in the third act of Inglorious Basterds.

— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) January 18, 2015
[account deactivated]
pentagon wars is a way better movie than american sniper
So anyone here see the movie?
[account deactivated]

Flappo posted:

Generation Kill did a very good job of exposing the truth about soldiering in my opinion. Great series.

something LF & GiP can agree on.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

great minds think alike

American Sniper kind of reminds me of the movie that’s showing in the third act of Inglorious Basterds.

— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) January 18, 2015

Looks like we're having a classic case of "liberal has genuine thought & promptly backpedals in the face of the howlers". Reminds me of Jon Stewart on the nuclear bombings.

...also another case of "agreeing with right-wingers for the wrong reasons"... Thank You Obama.

thank you obama
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
bbirth of black baby jesus
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
noice
I think that the deification of chris kyle is indicative of the desperate desire in America for a hero to grasp onto from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Some Hollywood exec half-read the book, greenlighted it, and here we are. How fitting is it that the titular hero is happy to confess his lust for murder, that he concocted a fake story about beating up jessie ventura in a bar, that he got shot by one of his erstwhile friends from his times in the military at a shooting range? The whole thing is both pathetically poetic and indicative of the way the wind is blowing w/r/t american sentiment. We as a people really really really want to pull something meaningful out of these wars but there is just nothing there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhwrK1kmRfg
A memorial service was held for Kyle at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on February 11, 2013. Kyle was buried on February 12, 2013, at the Texas State Cemetery in Austin, Texas, after a funeral procession from Midlothian, Texas, to Austin, stretching over 200 miles. Hundreds of local and out-of-state residents lined Interstate 35 to view the procession and pay their final respects to Kyle.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i actually discovered this a week or so ago, i just thought it was cool that i viscerally owned a dead guy so hard they had to make a big fake movie about him to undo it

post the own

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i am asking for tpaine to post his personal own, the catchphrase book

krink posted:

"In a country that is awash in armaments and magazines and implements of war, if every time somebody picked up something that was potentially useful as a weapon, you might as well ask every Iraqi to walk around with a target on his back," Fidell said.

lol its like the united states if you're black

haha just read the synopsis, great stuff

Chris Kyle comes home to find his girlfriend in bed with another man. He throws the naked man out of the house and breaks up with his girlfriend.

Chris grew up in Texas, where his father raised him under a strict moral code. His father insisted that he should "be a sheepdog who protects others, not a sheep or a wolf." Kyle works briefly as a rodeo cowboy until he sees television coverage of the terrorist attacks on the US embassies in Dar es Salaam and Nairobi. He enlists to become a Navy SEAL.

Chris completes his training, and meets a girl named Taya Renae during an outing to a bar. They marry, and Chris is deployed to Iraq as a sniper after the September 11 attacks. He makes so many successful kills that his fellow soldiers nickname him "The Legend." Back home, Taya is pregnant, and anxious for Chris' safety. On one occasion a gunfight breaks out during one of Kyle's telephone calls to his wife.

Kyle completes his tour of duty and joyfully greets his heavily pregnant wife at the airport. He appears happy to be home, but his mind is distracted. He and Taya are often engaged in different conversations, and Kyle clamps down when she tries to discuss his war experiences. He has a particularly traumatic memory of shooting a boy who was carrying a grenade and a woman (who may have been the boy's mother) continued the attack on an armored patrol.

Despite these memories, Kyle is a loving and proud father to his newborn son. Taya, however, is disturbed when she discovers Kyle watching bootleg footage of an American marine who is shot dead. Kyle calls "them" savages. Taya expresses her concern for them as a couple and wishes Kyle would concentrate on his home and family.

Kyle feels compelled by duty to enlist for a second tour. He has a brief meeting with his weary and dispirited brother upon arrival in Iraq. Kyle is promoted to Chief Petty Officer and tasked to a group hunt for Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. During house-to-house searches in evacuated areas, Kyle encounters a family who had refused to leave. After intensive interrogation, the father of the family offers to be an informant for $100,000 and lead the soldiers to "The Butcher", al-Zarqawi's second-in-command. The plan goes awry when The Butcher's capture the father, torture his son with a drill, and force him to watch before they are both killed. Meanwhile, the insurgents put a bounty on Chris Kyle.

Kyle returns home from his second tour. One day he encounters a soldier who thanks him for saving his life, but Taya bemoans his tours of duty and increasing distance from his family when he is home. Their family now includes a newborn daughter.

On his third tour, a member of Kyle's unit is seriously injured and his unit evacuated back to base. The unit decides to return to the field and continue their mission. Another SEAL is killed by an insurgent sniper. Kyle accompanies five coffins on the flight home, and attends a funeral with his wife. Kyle fixes his gold trident badge to the casket as a mark of respect, along with seven others. Kyle attributes the soldier's death to his having given up, which is evident from the disillusioned tone in a letter read during the funeral.

Kyle feels compelled to undertake a fourth tour. Taya doesn't understand his decision, tells him she needs him, and for a moment intimates they stay apart.

Kyle is on a rooftop when he spots a man with a rocket launcher and shoots him. A small boy then picks up the weapon. Kyle wills him to put it down, but is ready to shoot him if necessary. Kyle is then assigned to take down the expert insurgent sniper who has been picking off engineers building a barricade. A sniper team is placed inside enemy territory. Kyle spots the sniper, but it is a risky long distance shot, and he is urged to wait for the rapid response team. He makes the shot, thus exposing his sniper team's position to an offensive by a large number of armed insurgents. The sniper team runs short of ammunition and, overwhelmed by insurgent numbers, call for an air strike.

Kyle calls Taya and tells her he is ready to come home. A sandstorm results in the air strike's failure, but provides cover for their escape. Kyle, last to leave, is wounded and almost left behind.

Kyle returns home, on edge and unable to fully adjust to civilian life. He tells a psychiatrist he is "haunted by all the guys he couldn't save". The psychiatrist encourages him to help "save soldiers" in the hospital. Kyle takes a walk through the hospital and meets veterans who suffered severe injuries. He decides to spend time with injured veterans at a shooting range in the woods and gradually begins to adjust to home life.

Kyle, playful and happy, says goodbye to his wife and family as he leaves to spend time with veterans at the shooting range. On-screen text reveals: 'Kyle was killed that day by a veteran he was trying to help', followed by stock footage of thousands of people standing in line along the highway for his funeral procession. Thousands more are shown attending Cowboys Stadium for his memorial service.

i think i saw this on the onion's youtube channel

did they include the scene where he doesn't beat up jesse ventura?
lol http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/06/03/in-the-crosshairs

Kyle seemed to consider himself a cross between a lawman and an executioner. His platoon had spray-painted the image of the Punisher—a Marvel Comics character who wages “a one-man war upon crime”—on their flak jackets and helmets. Kyle made a point of ignoring the military dress code, cutting the sleeves off shirts and wearing baseball caps instead of a helmet. (“Ninety per cent of being cool is looking cool,” he wrote.) Like many soldiers, Kyle was deeply religious and saw the Iraq War through that prism. He tattooed one of his arms with a red crusader’s cross, wanting “everyone to know I was a Christian.” When he learned that insurgents had placed a bounty on his head and had named him al-Shaitan Ramadi—the Devil of Ramadi—he felt “proud.” He “hated the damn savages” he was fighting. In his book, he recounts telling an Army colonel, “I don’t shoot people with Korans. I’d like to, but I don’t.”

oh my god

There’s a story about Chris Kyle: on a cold January morning in 2010, he pulled into a gas station somewhere along Highway 67, south of Dallas. He was driving his supercharged black Ford F350 outfitted with black rims and oversize knobby mudding tires. Kyle had replaced the Ford logo on the grill with a small chrome skull, similar to the Punisher emblem from the Marvel Comics series, and added a riot-ready aftermarket grill guard bearing the words ROAD ARMOR. He had just left the Navy and moved back to Texas.

Two guys approached him with pistols and demanded his money and the keys to his truck. With his hands in the air, he sized up which man seemed most confident with his gun.

Kyle knew what confidence with a gun looked like. He was the deadliest sniper in American history. He had at least 160 confirmed kills by the Pentagon’s count, but by his own count—and the accounts of his Navy SEAL teammates—the number was closer to twice that. In his four tours of duty in Iraq, Kyle earned two Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars with Valor. He survived six IED attacks, three gunshot wounds, two helicopter crashes, and more surgeries than he could remember. He was known among his SEAL brethren as The Legend and to his enemies as al-Shaitan, “the devil.”

He told the robbers that he just needed to reach back into the truck to get the keys. He turned around and reached under his winter coat instead, into his waistband. With his right hand, he grabbed his Colt 1911. He fired two shots under his left armpit, hitting the first man twice in the chest. Then he turned slightly and fired two more times, hitting the second man twice in the chest. Both men fell dead.

Kyle leaned on his truck and waited for the police.

When they arrived, they detained him while they ran his driver’s license. But instead of his name, address, and date of birth, what came up was a phone number at the Department of Defense. At the other end of the line was someone who explained that the police were in the presence of one of the most skilled fighters in U.S. military history. When they reviewed the surveillance footage, the officers found the incident had happened just as Kyle had described it. They were very understanding, and they didn’t want to drag a just-home, highly decorated veteran into a messy legal situation

and it just goes on like this

And, of course, other people—probably most people—will believe the story, because it was about Chris Kyle. He was one of the few men in the entire world capable of such a feat. He was one of the only people who might have had the connections to make something like that disappear—he did work regularly with the CIA. People will believe it because Chris Kyle was incredible, the most celebrated war hero of our time, a true American hero in every sense of the word. They’ll believe this story because there are already so many verified stories of his lethal abilities and astonishing valor, stories of him hanging out with presidents, and ribbing governors, and knocking out former football stars and billionaires and cocky frat boys.

They’ll believe it because Chris Kyle is already a legend, and sometimes we need to believe in legends.

everything about chris kyle indicates that he was an enormous piece of shit even by Troop standards but that's how strong the worship of soldiers is in this country that someone this openly repugnant is a hero beyond criticism for no particular reason
press X to pay respects
lol @ hollywood fascist propaganda
GYoUa67Qeqw
lol at liberal acquaintances defending this garbage with "it's just one person's story" and "people aren't black and white, there's nuance"

why did you send us into iraq without body armor/shitty troop transports vulnerable to roadside IEDs?

OORAH AMERICA WOOO THE TROOPS THE TROOPS

goddammit we don't need all of these tanks

FUCK YEAH, THE MILITARY

i do not want to fly an F-35

HOME OF THE FREE