[account deactivated]
The United States is no mere collection of Sex and the City watching cowboys. It is a religious group with carefully considered beliefs, among them that it is a key agent of the coming film X-Men: Apocalypse. Here’s what that means for its strategy—and for how to stop it.
the atlantic's status as a spook rag is extremely well documented
Sisi is an anagram for ISIS, and also it backwards. anybody notice this?
Si
the atlantic is garbage but i still take ta-nehisi coates seriously. i dont really know all about him but he at least seems orders of magnitude less bad than the rest of the magazine
TNC is cool, his book The Beautiful Struggle about his black panther dad is cool, his writing on red-lined housing discrimination in early/mid-20th-century chicago is cool, his shit on grant and sherman is cool, all around about the best output you could get from a liberal who plays a ton of video games and writes for the atlantic
Staring across this divide are bands of murderers supported by outlaw regimes. They're a movement defined by their hatreds. They hate progress and freedom and choice and culture and music and laughter and women and Christians and Jews and all Muslims who reject their distorted doctrines. They love only one thing: They love power. And when they have it, they use it without mercy.

discipline posted:

And everyone here says "Well Obama sez they'll be around for 5 years" like it's the gospel - and it is - because Obama is calling the shots.

Actually Barack Obama's presidential term ends on January 20, 2017. He's got less than two years to call the shots. Unless someone repeals the term limit amendment, which is possible. If you want to post in D&D you've got to read The Economist for facts like this.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

my favorite norm mcdonald thing will forever be back like 15 years ago when they'd have daily show guests do a little blurb for commercials that was "hi, i'm whoever, and you're watching comedy central" and some people did funny stuff with it, norm mcdonald's was "hi i'm norm mcdonald, and you're watching comedy central...or it's just on in the background...while you eat...methamphetamines..."

i tried to find something about this on the internet and the only post was yours from 2013:

in like the late 90s/early 2000s there was a thing where guests of the daily show did these little spots for comedy central that followed the syntax "hi, i'm whoever, and you're watching comedy central" and most were pretty stupid but norm macdonald's was something like "hi, i'm norm macdonald, and you're watching comedy central...or it's just on, in the background, while you take...methamphetamines..."

It's like deja vu all over again...........

Well do we take meth or do we eat it? Which is it...
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i'll vouch for it. brendan fraser's spot explained how to pronounce his name by pronouncing it correctly and then incorrectly and i don't remember which is which anymore, and he deserves better.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

the atlantic is garbage but i still take ta-nehisi coates seriously. i dont really know all about him but he at least seems orders of magnitude less bad than the rest of the magazine

"One of the good ones" hmmm?

coates is the designated, uh, guy who gets to keep his job after pointing out that all the slumlords in 1960s chicago were extremely racist jews
war nerd has a really bad article about ISIS as well.

http://pando.com/2015/02/12/the-war-nerd-islamic-state-and-american-narcissism/
[account deactivated]
Here's a much better article about Musa Cerantonio, the white Aussie daesh recruiter in the Atlantic piece. Apparently he lives with his mum and he's into Monty Python. http://www.theage.com.au/good-weekend/musa-cerantonio-muslim-convert-and-radical-supporter-of-islamic-state-20150116-121c8s.html

Home for dinner: Musa with his mother, Paula (who still calls him Robert), and one of his brothers, Steven.

I want to hear what the family has to say away from Musa. We go into Paula's bedroom. She says it wasn't that bad for her when Musa - whom she and the family still call Robert - turned up on the news last July. Her surname hasn't been Cerantonio since she and her husband divorced 11 years ago, so most people didn't connect the dots. Her friend Betty knew, though. "After Robert got home to Australia, she said, 'From now on, if he's gonna pick me up from work, I don't want to be in the car with him.' And I just looked at her. Then the next day ... yeah, I think I did have a bit of a cry, and I thought, 'That was pretty harsh, we're best friends.' "

"When you called me," Nicholas adds, "you said you were upset because you had a feeling everyone at work was talking about it behind your back. Betty's calmed down now. She'll go in the car with him now."

"Well, she has to," Paula says. "Because she can't walk that far, she's got a bung hip."

"Robert was very - can we say vile? - when he was a teenager," says Nicholas, adding that his brother would bully him. "But he was a very different person. As weird as it sounds, I think him becoming a Muslim was a very good thing. It mellowed him out."

"Why, was he angry or wild or whatever?" I ask.

"Some people are just pricks," Nicholas says.

[account deactivated]

chickeon posted:

i cant believe i didnt click on this earlier

Petrol posted:

Here's a much better article about Musa Cerantonio, the white Aussie daesh recruiter in the Atlantic piece. Apparently he lives with his mum and he's into Monty Python. http://www.theage.com.au/good-weekend/musa-cerantonio-muslim-convert-and-radical-supporter-of-islamic-state-20150116-121c8s.html

Home for dinner: Musa with his mother, Paula (who still calls him Robert), and one of his brothers, Steven.

I want to hear what the family has to say away from Musa. We go into Paula's bedroom. She says it wasn't that bad for her when Musa - whom she and the family still call Robert - turned up on the news last July. Her surname hasn't been Cerantonio since she and her husband divorced 11 years ago, so most people didn't connect the dots. Her friend Betty knew, though. "After Robert got home to Australia, she said, 'From now on, if he's gonna pick me up from work, I don't want to be in the car with him.' And I just looked at her. Then the next day ... yeah, I think I did have a bit of a cry, and I thought, 'That was pretty harsh, we're best friends.' "

"When you called me," Nicholas adds, "you said you were upset because you had a feeling everyone at work was talking about it behind your back. Betty's calmed down now. She'll go in the car with him now."

"Well, she has to," Paula says. "Because she can't walk that far, she's got a bung hip."

"Robert was very - can we say vile? - when he was a teenager," says Nicholas, adding that his brother would bully him. "But he was a very different person. As weird as it sounds, I think him becoming a Muslim was a very good thing. It mellowed him out."

"Why, was he angry or wild or whatever?" I ask.

"Some people are just pricks," Nicholas says.

This is just a remake of the baby finland story

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Defence Minister Jason Kenney has indicated the government is not ruling out taking Canada's military mission against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group beyond Iraq — to Syria and Libya.

lol

a while ago the government listed a bunch of parameters to the mission in iraq to try to present it as a limited thing. then the military kept announcing things that showed all the lines were crossed. so harper is on record saying a bunch of things that are obviously lies. no one really cares though.
“Brig.-Gen. Mike Rouleau, the commander of Canada's special forces, said Monday his troops have guided 13 bombing missions from the front lines since the end of November.”
Canadian Press, January 22, 2015

“Canada’s Department of National Defence in December denied its troops were targeting for missile strikes or were present at the front line, when asked by The Wall Street Journal.”
Wall Street Journal, January 20, 2015
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

“Brig.-Gen. Mike Rouleau, the commander of Canada's special forces, said Monday his troops have guided 13 bombing missions from the front lines since the end of November.”
Canadian Press, January 22, 2015

i don't see any contradiction here, he's just talking about isis

discipline posted:

I care. it's my life.

i meant, canadian swing voters, that herd of dead-eyed cows, don't seem to care.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/02/21/isis-army-7-footers-experts-say-video-copt-beheadings-manipulated/ remember when revealing that a video was doctored made people question what they were seeing? that was cool
if the cia made it to drum up support for imperialist intervention i think they'd do it more professionally and forbid fox news writing stories about any fuck ups