[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
A childhood friend of mine decided to enlist. When he came out after bootcamp we got really drunk and he went off about how can't wait to kill people because it would be totally badass.
I'm waiting to hear a speech about the moral complexity of his actions in a few years
if i dedicated my life to evil i'd do a better job than these losers
*sieg heils*
man you guys are sad sometimes

Barbarossa posted:

How so?

*Looks optimistically into the future over a conquered land bereft of hope*
"Today is the first day of the rest of my life"
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ba_1226556582
this shit makes me so angry

Every decision I come to in life, it's as if a demon is sitting on my shoulder whispering the incorrect choice to make.

Edited by wasted ()

trigger warning http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/03/19/upstate-n-y-school-apologizes-for-reciting-pledge-of-allegiance-in-arabic/

reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic after getting complaints from district residents who lost family members in the war in Afghanistan.

I'm sorry to hear about your family member who died in Afghanistan. Did he accidentally fall through an extradimensional hole and land there? Oh, he was there as an armed volunteer combatant invader. Well, glad to see you're keeping the spirit of his racist stupidity alive
space armed volunteer combatant invader
theres was no pay off in that video. ripe for an edit, theboksman

speaking of, where did the old videos go HK?
Hunter-gatherers and clan-based farmers spend their entire lives denigrating people from the same ethnic group just for living in a neighboring village as subhumans who deserve death for no reason whatsoever beyond being defined as Other. Upon meeting by chance, they will sit down and recount their kin for several generations past. If they don't find any shared relations the meeting will likely result in the death of one, because why not kill a stranger if you don't share any blood relationship? None of these people suffer from PTSD. We train people for 18 years to not kill or hurt each other then enlist them and tell them to forget all that. The solution to PTSD is to start training Americans to be killers from a very young age, video games are helping with this.
i think you're confusing ptsd with the romanticized depression that exists only in war movies where the troops feel bad about slaughtering innocents.

guidoanselmi posted:

my entire account was nuked by youtube for copyright infringement & i had no backup for most of the vids.

[account deactivated]
that cracked me up too.
*speaks french*
"damn mexicans sneaking over the border"
Recall that PTSD didn't become an established category until the 1980s in the wake of Vietnam-a way of depoliticizing and managing the mass psychic shock of murky open-ended imperialist war-making that was of too dubious legitimacy to be socially integrated in the manner of WWII.
If you prefer more occluded oughts era yanqui fascism, see...

HenryKrinkle posted:

guidoanselmi posted:

my entire account was nuked by youtube for copyright infringement & i had no backup for most of the vids.

damn.

[account deactivated]

RedMaistre posted:

Recall that PTSD didn't become an established category until the 1980s in the wake of Vietnam-a way of depoliticizing and managing the mass psychic shock of murky open-ended imperialist war-making that was of too dubious legitimacy to be socially integrated in the manner of WWII.

This is a really interesting point. PTSD serves as america's "stabbed in the back" myth, both to reaffirm american military masculinity through ressentiment and reabsorbing the anti-war movement (especially veterans) into the fold of empire.

http://www.amazon.com/PTSD-Diagnosis-Identity-Post-empire-America/dp/0739186248

heres a book about it

The production of masculine warriors has required those who embody masculinity to enter into intimate relationships with femininity, queerness and other unmasculine foils, not just to disavow them. The military has motivated service members to fight by forcing them to embody traits and identifications that have been framed as binary oppositions—masculine/feminine, strong/ weak, dominant/subordinate, victor/victim, civilized/barbaric, clean/dirty, straight/queer, legible/illegible, stoic/emotional—and to deny those embodiments at the same time. As such, the troops have found themselves entrapped in dense webs of double binds that confuse them and sustain a penchant for obedience and conformity. The pursuit of masculine status has produced conformity and obedience not just through the disavowal of the unmasculine, but via the compelled embrace of the masculine/unmasculine and other oppositions which have been constructed as irreconcilable.

But it is not just any contradictions that have served to structure American military masculinity. More specifically, military masculinity has been structured by irresolvable contradictions associated with U.S. empire. The expression of imperial contradictions in, on, and through service members’ bodies and identities has served to camouflage and contain them. Hence, military masculinity has become a site where irreconcilable political contradictions have been smoothed over, almost as if there were no contradictions at all. When they conflate virtuous depictions of the troops with unproblematic understandings of U.S. empire, Americans make any contradictions associated with the global deployment of American force seem unproblematic. Cleaning up the troops has, simultaneously, cleaned up empire. By conceptualizing military masculinity exclusively in terms of a disavowal of the unmasculine and overlooking contradictions that structure it, scholars have become implicated in political and social processes that sanitize the operation of U.S. power at home and abroad.

"Bring Me Men: Military Masculinity and the Benign Facade of American Empire, 1898-2001." Aaron Belkin

Of the people who contact me to buy service from my business some ask "I am in the military, is there a discount?" and i want to say "no, but we do have a discount for rapists," but i would get in trouble
[account deactivated]
Internet

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=7138289&cid=49314349

These so-called 'islamic state' assholes? They need to die. Every last one of them. No negotiations, no trials, no 'explanations' -- just fucking KILL THEM ALL, male, female, I don't fucking care, just KILL THEM. Children below a certain age can be de-programmed and put with families that will care for them and raise them to be rational, responsible, sane human beings -- but every last adult that is involved with this uber-asshole 'organization'? They need to be killed.

This isn't even about religion. It's about a power-vacuum that was created in the Middle East, which allowed these assholes to swoop in with their ultra-extremist bullshit and start setting up shop. These assholes are like a socio-economic version of the Black Plague, and like any other epidemic, it needs to be erradicated, completely.

Of course I can't ignore the fact that there will always be violent assholes in the world that will use religion of any kind as an excuse to be violent assholes on a large scale, and as unpopular an opinion as it apparently is in the world, I just wish that humans in general would fucking grow out of this apparently genetic need for a god or gods of any kind. All it seems to do is open the door for more atrocities, more ignorance (much of it willful ignorance), more backsliding, and in general more bullshit. I make jokes sometimes about how 'XYZ is the reason that alien civilizations won't contact us openly', but I'm only half kidding oftimes when I say it -- as is the case with this subject: If there are in fact starfaring alien civilizations out there that have been observing us, they must look at this sort of bullshit (and the Inquisition, and the Salem witch trials, and who knows how many other atrocities that have been committed over the centuries) and feel nothing but disgust and maybe pity for our poor race, that we're so afflicted by such a major flaw in our cognitive process.

Not posted as Anonymous Coward, because I'm not one. Come and get me, assholes. We, the sane, rational people of the world, we reject you and your fucking ultra-extremist bullshit. You claim to be doing the work of Allah? I CALL BULLSHIT ON THAT; you're just a bunch of power-hungry FRAUDS who enjoy killing people, and we will see you all DEAD for your crimes against humanity. It's time for this shit to stop.

thirdplace posted:

trigger warning http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/03/19/upstate-n-y-school-apologizes-for-reciting-pledge-of-allegiance-in-arabic/

I would be offended as well if I were an Arabic speaker.

notciaNOTjew posted:

thirdplace posted:

I would be offended as well if I were an Arabic speaker.

agreed. they should apologize for making children say the pledge in any language

swampman posted:

This isn't even about religion. It's about a power-vacuum that was created in the Middle East

o damn. i wonder how that happened..

babyhueypnewton posted:

The production of masculine warriors has required those who embody masculinity to enter into intimate relationships with femininity, queerness and other unmasculine foils, not just to disavow them. The military has motivated service members to fight by forcing them to embody traits and identifications that have been framed as binary oppositions—masculine/feminine, strong/ weak, dominant/subordinate, victor/victim, civilized/barbaric, clean/dirty, straight/queer, legible/illegible, stoic/emotional—and to deny those embodiments at the same time. As such, the troops have found themselves entrapped in dense webs of double binds that confuse them and sustain a penchant for obedience and conformity. The pursuit of masculine status has produced conformity and obedience not just through the disavowal of the unmasculine, but via the compelled embrace of the masculine/unmasculine and other oppositions which have been constructed as irreconcilable.

But it is not just any contradictions that have served to structure American military masculinity. More specifically, military masculinity has been structured by irresolvable contradictions associated with U.S. empire. The expression of imperial contradictions in, on, and through service members’ bodies and identities has served to camouflage and contain them. Hence, military masculinity has become a site where irreconcilable political contradictions have been smoothed over, almost as if there were no contradictions at all. When they conflate virtuous depictions of the troops with unproblematic understandings of U.S. empire, Americans make any contradictions associated with the global deployment of American force seem unproblematic. Cleaning up the troops has, simultaneously, cleaned up empire. By conceptualizing military masculinity exclusively in terms of a disavowal of the unmasculine and overlooking contradictions that structure it, scholars have become implicated in political and social processes that sanitize the operation of U.S. power at home and abroad.

"Bring Me Men: Military Masculinity and the Benign Facade of American Empire, 1898-2001." Aaron Belkin

Yes, indeed, but I would also add that the traits embody the contradictions to a large extent, and the structure of masculine/feminine contradiction can be conceptualized in the processes contained therein. It's for this reason that any attempt to reconcile the contradiction is ultimately undone by the very structural forces set in motion by the project of U.S. empire. Yes.

wasted posted:

Barbarossa posted:

How so?

edit dumb

Edited by Barbarossa ()

cool story bro