[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i have to say i fear that my procrastination habit and somewhat short attention span will prevent me from ever getting this blog post completed. never hurts to try tho. #GoonProjectProblems
http://articles.latimes.com/print/2004/nov/04/world/fg-explosives4

In the weeks after the fall of Baghdad, Iraqi looters loaded powerful explosives into pickup trucks and drove the material away from the Al Qaqaa ammunition site, according to a group of U.S. Army reservists and National Guardsmen who said they witnessed the looting.

The soldiers said about a dozen U.S. troops guarding the sprawling facility could not prevent the theft because they were outnumbered by looters. Soldiers with one unit -- the 317th Support Center based in Wiesbaden, Germany -- said they sent a message to commanders in Baghdad requesting help to secure the site but received no reply.

The witnesses' accounts of the looting, the first provided by U.S. soldiers, support claims that the American military failed to safeguard the munitions. Last month, the International Atomic Energy Agency -- the U.N. nuclear watchdog -- and the interim Iraqi government reported that about 380 tons of high-grade explosives had been taken from the Al Qaqaa facility after the fall of Baghdad on April 9, 2003. The explosives are powerful enough to detonate a nuclear weapon.
(...)
The soldiers, who belong to two different units, described how Iraqis plundered explosives from unsecured bunkers before driving off in Toyota trucks.

The U.S. troops said there was little they could do to prevent looting of the ammunition site, 30 miles south of Baghdad.

"We were running from one side of the compound to the other side, trying to kick people out," said one senior noncommissioned officer who was at the site in late April 2003.

"On our last day there, there were at least 100 vehicles waiting at the site for us to leave" so looters could come in and take munitions.

"It was complete chaos. It was looting like L.A. during the Rodney King riots," another officer said.

He and other soldiers who spoke to The Times asked not to be named, saying they feared retaliation from the Pentagon.

just more of that ol' US of A incompetence i'm sure.

HenryKrinkle posted:

"It was complete chaos. It was looting like L.A. during the Rodney King riots,"

Lol

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
did you know that merzbow made an entire album tribute to the stealin mah bucket seal?

[account deactivated]

gyrofry posted:

did you know that merzbow made an entire album tribute to the stealin mah bucket seal?

two entire albums

this article owns http://theantimedia.org/canadian-spy-arrested-in-turkey-caught-smuggling-isis-forces-into-syria/

Petrol posted:

gyrofry posted:

two entire albums

wh...what happened to his bucket

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/opinion/go-ahead-ruin-my-day.html?ref=opinion&assetType=opinion

O.K., so we learn to live with Iran on the edge of a bomb, but shouldn’t we at least bomb the Islamic State to smithereens and help destroy this head-chopping menace? Now I despise ISIS as much as anyone, but let me just toss out a different question: Should we be arming ISIS? Or let me ask that differently: Why are we, for the third time since 9/11, fighting a war on behalf of Iran?

In 2002, we destroyed Iran’s main Sunni foe in Afghanistan (the Taliban regime). In 2003, we destroyed Iran’s main Sunni foe in the Arab world (Saddam Hussein). But because we failed to erect a self-sustaining pluralistic order, which could have been a durable counterbalance to Iran, we created a vacuum in both Iraq and the wider Sunni Arab world. That is why Tehran’s proxies now indirectly dominate four Arab capitals: Beirut, Damascus, Sana and Baghdad.

ISIS, with all its awfulness, emerged as the homegrown Sunni Arab response to this crushing defeat of Sunni Arabism — mixing old pro-Saddam Baathists with medieval Sunni religious fanatics with a collection of ideologues, misfits and adventure-seekers from around the Sunni Muslim world. Obviously, I abhor ISIS and don’t want to see it spread or take over Iraq. I simply raise this question rhetorically because no one else is: Why is it in our interest to destroy the last Sunni bulwark to a total Iranian takeover of Iraq? Because the Shiite militias now leading the fight against ISIS will rule better? Really?

pretty messed up that Thomas L. Friedman supports terrorism

babyhueypnewton posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/opinion/go-ahead-ruin-my-day.html?ref=opinion&assetType=opinion

O.K., so we learn to live with Iran on the edge of a bomb, but shouldn’t we at least bomb the Islamic State to smithereens and help destroy this head-chopping menace? Now I despise ISIS as much as anyone, but let me just toss out a different question: Should we be arming ISIS? Or let me ask that differently: Why are we, for the third time since 9/11, fighting a war on behalf of Iran?

In 2002, we destroyed Iran’s main Sunni foe in Afghanistan (the Taliban regime). In 2003, we destroyed Iran’s main Sunni foe in the Arab world (Saddam Hussein). But because we failed to erect a self-sustaining pluralistic order, which could have been a durable counterbalance to Iran, we created a vacuum in both Iraq and the wider Sunni Arab world. That is why Tehran’s proxies now indirectly dominate four Arab capitals: Beirut, Damascus, Sana and Baghdad.

ISIS, with all its awfulness, emerged as the homegrown Sunni Arab response to this crushing defeat of Sunni Arabism — mixing old pro-Saddam Baathists with medieval Sunni religious fanatics with a collection of ideologues, misfits and adventure-seekers from around the Sunni Muslim world. Obviously, I abhor ISIS and don’t want to see it spread or take over Iraq. I simply raise this question rhetorically because no one else is: Why is it in our interest to destroy the last Sunni bulwark to a total Iranian takeover of Iraq? Because the Shiite militias now leading the fight against ISIS will rule better? Really?

omg

[account deactivated]
The cat is out of the bag. Thomas Friedman just exposed the entire U.S. strategy in the mideast.
i posted that article at a bunch of old liberals on facebook who were all bewildered about "are tax dollars vanished in the mid east!!!" and they all immediately were like "oh wow that makes sense, tom friedman pretty much sums it up"
edit: n/m

Edited by HenryKrinkle ()

Are Tax Dollars

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/pentagon-loses-sight-of-500-million-in-counterterrorism-aid-given-to-yemen/2015/03/17/f4ca25ce-cbf9-11e4-8a46-b1dc9be5a8ff_story.html
how clumsy of me *trips and drops $500 milli into the hands of AQAP*

looks like we got some more direct intervenin to do boys
....the newly declassified report states that for “THE WEST, GULF COUNTRIES, AND TURKEY SUPPORT THE OPPOSITION… THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF ESTABLISHING A DECLARED OR UNDECLARED SALAFIST PRINCIPALITY IN EASTERN SYRIA (HASAKA AND DER ZOR), AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE SUPPORTING POWERS TO THE OPPOSITION WANT, IN ORDER TO ISOLATE THE SYRIAN REGIME…”.
The DIA report, formerly classified “SECRET//NOFORN” and dated August 12, 2012, was circulated widely among various government agencies, including CENTCOM, the CIA, FBI, DHS, NGA, State Dept., and many others.
The document shows that as early as 2012, U.S. intelligence predicted the rise of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or ISIS), but instead of clearly delineating the group as an enemy, the report envisions the terror group as a U.S. strategic asset.
http://levantreport.com/2015/05/19/2012-defense-intelligence-agency-document-west-will-facilitate-rise-of-islamic-state-in-order-to-isolate-the-syrian-regime/
tell her i said sup

The explosives are powerful enough to detonate a nuclear weapon.

l,mao

"Device, If Constructed, Would Have Worked"
https://medium.com/@HenryKrinkle/de46302517e5

what i have so far. not much but the bibliography has some interesting stuff in it.

any suggestions would be welcome.
good stuff. if noteworthy for your topic, i also remember chomsky writing about how the h.w. bush administration was completely two faced in the run up to the war, & communicated their intentions to the ba'athists in iraq as a sort of disinterested shrug, like, "yeah sure go ahead we don't care" even as they boxed them into armed conflict with kuwait. probably in some of those same sources or from around the same time, judging from what i was doing when i first read about it, i'm 99% sure it's in Deterring Democracy (1991) and if not there, it's a side note somewhere in Fateful Triangle (1999)
U.S. Ambassador Glaspie:

"We have no opinion on your Arab-Arab conflicts, such as your dispute with Kuwait. Secretary (of State James) Baker has directed me to emphasize the instruction, first given to Iraq in the 1960's that the Kuwait issue is not associated with America."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Glaspie
i can still feel the tears and shame that welled up in my eyes, junior year of high school, as my ap history teacher responded in the converse to both my assertions that "saddam gassed his own people" and "invaded kuwait"

the kurds werent his own people. long live the free state of kurdistan etc