i dont really like him
he's good and even cool

mugabe_glasses posted:

oh okay good to have that cleared up
it is unusual for me to see people be so mean about people they like, it is very confusing!!!!!!!!

deadken is just smart enough to stifle the communism enough to appeal to liberal publications, so as to actually have a career, and just stupid enough to want a career

what are the rules about expressing earnest affection for people you like/respect here, is that allowed
i believe there is an entire krew of sincereteers

mugabe_glasses posted:

it is unusual for me to see people be so mean about people they like, it is very confusing!!!!!!!!

it's the only acceptable way to show affection. this has the intended consequence that no one can really be hurt, only passive aggressively complimented. a powerful feature that brings joy and peace of mind.

shriekingviolet posted:

mugabe_glasses posted:

it's the only acceptable way to show affection. this has the intended consequence that no one can really be hurt, only passive aggressively complimented. a powerful feature that brings joy and peace of mind.

yeah but it is important to feel hurt sometimes, it's like literally one of if not the most fundamental mechanism for survival

that sounds like a very shallow form of joy!!!! you aren't feeling anything!!!!

i won't let you infect me with your irony poisoning, I won't
the other answer is that this is a space for continuous grieving over a hurt that will never heal, and that the previous answer is just a wishful pretense (on bad days) or a cozy aspiration (wouldn't it be nice.)

stuff can be more than one thing.
are you sure it can't heal
what if instead of trying to distance yourself from pain and desperately avoid feeling it, you instead allowed yourself to fully feel it, thus creating the possibility to let it go and make room for feeling anything else at all?
i mean idk, w/e im just spitballing over here

mugabe_glasses posted:

are you sure it can't heal
what if instead of trying to distance yourself from pain and desperately avoid feeling it, you instead allowed yourself to fully feel it, thus creating the possibility to let it go and make room for feeling anything else at all?
i mean idk, w/e im just spitballing over here

because ending the future possibility for that pain to be inflicted on others takes priority over sparing myself (especially since i live in a culture that offers many avenues to spare myself at the expense of others,) and because experience teaches me that pain can't be reversed, you can only build new useful structures over a foundation of suffering that has passed. "healing" is only possible with the elimination that which caused the wound, until then my own personal growth only has value to the extent that it can further this goal.

i don't think there's a major disagreement here, this isn't really a conflict about about praxis, just about visualization/contextualization of suffering?

shriekingviolet posted:

because ending the future possibility for that pain to be inflicted on others takes priority over sparing myself (especially since i live in a culture that offers many avenues to spare myself at the expense of others,)

im down

and because experience teaches me that pain can't be reversed, you can only build new useful structures over a foundation of suffering that has passed.

*nods*

"healing" is only possible with the elimination that which caused the wound, until then my own personal growth only has value to the extent that it can further this goal.

i mostly agree except that there are some forms of pain that can be reduced/eliminated and some that can't, and i think figuring out how to feel the difference between them is critical

i don't think there's a major disagreement here, this isn't really a conflict about about praxis, just about visualization/contextualization of suffering?

that sounds probable, but because i think about suffering and emotions a lot i have a tendency to sometimes get kinda pedantic. but you will just have to forgive me, you have no other choice

We're desperately fracking the Sam Kriss tar sands

swampman posted:

We're desperately fracking the Sam Kriss tar sands

why do you hate jobs, swampman. why do you hate jobs for our poor rich white boy oilmen/writers.

mugabe_glasses posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

because ending the future possibility for that pain to be inflicted on others takes priority over sparing myself (especially since i live in a culture that offers many avenues to spare myself at the expense of others,)

im down

and because experience teaches me that pain can't be reversed, you can only build new useful structures over a foundation of suffering that has passed.

*nods*

"healing" is only possible with the elimination that which caused the wound, until then my own personal growth only has value to the extent that it can further this goal.

i mostly agree except that there are some forms of pain that can be reduced/eliminated and some that can't, and i think figuring out how to feel the difference between them is critical

that sounds probable, but because i think about suffering and emotions a lot i have a tendency to sometimes get kinda pedantic. but you will just have to forgive me, you have no other choice

i don't mean to be overly critical but our agreed formatting for posts that are not lazy unedited one-liner catchphrases is to quote one large unbroken paragraph and respond with another large unbroken paragraph preferably with multiple embedded links no one will click on. point by point breakdowns are rare and may be met with open hostility, derision, or psychological meltdown

mugabe_glasses posted:

what are the rules about expressing earnest affection for people you like/respect here, is that allowed

kamelred posted:

mugabe_glasses posted:

mugabe_glasses posted:

being nice is reserved for human filth like your boss/parents i guess

Luke 4:24

mugabe_glasses posted:

Is there another way?

ilmdge posted:

Is there another way?

perhaps not, best pretend I never brought it up

mugabe_glasses posted:

Did you grow up in the Carebears cloud city world or something

Meursault posted:

mugabe_glasses posted:

i grew up in the mean streets of something awful but i've been away for a very long time

mugabe_glasses posted:

Meursault posted:

mugabe_glasses posted:

i grew up in the mean streets of something awful but i've been away for a very long time

They created an election subforum for D&D, but now there is a race subforum as well. I predict no issues will arise.

they have a race science forum now?

dipshit420 posted:

mugabe_glasses posted:
Meursault posted:
mugabe_glasses posted:

They created an election subforum for D&D, but now there is a race subforum as well. I predict no issues will arise.

i too cannot see what could possibly go wrong

You would get dogpiled and banned if you criticized Hillary in the election subforum. Don't know if that's still true
lowtax told the mods they were biased and set in their views and wrongly punishing people for not agreeing with groupthink... because the mods were too liberal. so now you can criticize hillary clinton all you want, from the right.
[account deactivated]
Looks like SA is imploding. Any moment now I expect the flood of posters that will sign up here to talk about the immortal science of Marxism-Leninism-Maoism. To that I say: you can message me for an account. No one has ever done so. Please message me for an account.
How are they supposed to message you?

ilmdge posted:

How are they supposed to message you?

Shit. I thought this was the CIA chat. ignore me

ahem we are supposed to be discussing Sam Kriss

tbh though I approve of the injection of more sincerity in here

Belphegor posted:

ahem we are supposed to be discussing Sam Kriss

tbh though I approve of the injection of more sincerity in here

quoting this for receipts

sam kriss is a good boy who will go far. we just like to give him a little good-natured ribbing here and there for his longstanding record of denying the holocaust as a discrete jewish event
i have a complex dialectical understanding of sam "deadken" kriss that would take far too much time to explain here. follow him on twitter at @sam_kriss, that's at sign sam underscore kriss.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/liberals-on-the-edge-of-a-nervous-breakdown-214727

By sam Kriss

heres another https://theoutline.com/post/975/president-donald-trump-inauguration-protests-hope

Edited by ilmdge ()

the prescience of sam's obsession with the alternate universe truther people can't be underestimated. because in the main timeline he's now editor of the new york times.
@Sam Kriss - how do you know about the pulse of the silicon valley as a dilettante surviving in London. Are you a nerd or a techie that you claim to understand the nerdish outbursts. You use Peter Thiel as an example - do you even know how he is viewed in the valley? Your article is as much bull as you claim Fuentes's and Zunger's articles to be. You are pandering to your right leaning base - and there seems to be nothing more to your article than that.
sam i volunteer to be ur source on silicon valley for ur articles if u compensate me in cocaine