http://www.vox.com/world/2017/1/23/14323760/inequality-europe-chart

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

i'm so mad i can't even fakepost
i'm so mad i just smashed my fukken monitor into the wall
i know; it came as a big shock to me as well

didnt read the article tho
"The chart shows the rich getting richer at a basically unbroken pace between 1500, when they controlled about 50 percent of society’s wealth, and 1914, when they controlled about 90 percent. That’s nearly 400 unbroken years of rising inequality."
the racist hangman image but with capitalism
david johnson had a piece in the Baffler about Vox lately with a reminder that the site was pitched by Ezra Klein and Matt Yglesias as an attempt to crowd out sites such as Wikipedia with a strategy of blasting out "explainers" that repeat the same Washington-consensus propaganda lines over and over as fact, followed by a bunch of short articles that refer back to its own "explainers".

as in, Vox is not meant to report on the news because its mission is to amass a huge amount of search-engine-optimized articles that will in turn establish a technocratic-liberal-libertarian viewpoint as a constant drone that overpowers any other message. And of course they knew it wouldn't be able to beat Wikipedia, but they also know that it would cause tons of Wikipedia articles to link back to their site and please their investors and advertisers with click-throughs.

what this means here i guess is that reality is breaking through in a way not even an aggressively stupid person like Yglesias could manage to deny.
vox is four years behind thomas Pikachu lol
holy shit op, this is extremly fucked up if true
Something, Vox concludes, is happening here. What it is, however, is not exactly clear.

reminds me of this howler i saw somewhere

there needs to be a name for this type of construction
i propose Accidental Scientific-Materialist Realism

littlegreenpills posted:

vox is four years behind thomas Pikachu lol

magazines, or MAGAzines as they are known these days, are for people who cannot or will not read books

what if - now bear with me - what if things are kind of messed up, but thats also the totally natural and inevitable order of things?? feeling real fucken pensive on this shit, mates
Something Is Going On: A Treatise on Certain Inscrutable Tendencies Within The Invisible Mode of Production That Suffers No Name and Hears No Cry
Yo if we had banners the op would def be one
In conclusion, being poor is in fact the natural order of things.

Up Next:

Top five richest people and their secret habits
Eight times police brutality was justified
How Mars will save the human race
The right approach - standing together with law enforcement
Secure your future with an investment in gold

[account deactivated]
all glossy politics/news magazines are an elaborate low grade troll
if that's Jacob in,, i think i'd like to see Jacob OUT
lady gaga and tom brady are both workers
counterpoint: I bet lady gaga has gotten high in a castle
this is important to take a position on because a standard liberal critique of marxist class conception is What About Lebron James? (or in this case, Tom Brady.) he makes $20 million a year to throw a ball around, how is he proletarian? how is he exploited? the first thing to note is that exploitation of labor power refers to laborers as a class, and could withstand an exception or two if found. so it's possible Tom Brady isn't exploited, but the innumerable bus drivers, trainers, groundskeepers, concessions workers, and even other players under the Patriots Inc. umbrella certainly are - just as it's possible that in an office building or factory somewhere there is a guy who is paid more than he actually brings in to the company. which ties into the second point - a capitalist football team is likely making more from Tom Brady's or Office Drone 427's labor than he is being paid, and believes this to be the case. if they believe that they are paying them more than they're bringing in, or that they could bring in the same amount while paying someone less, then a rational capitalist business will fire them, as happens constantly both in football and in office settings.
[account deactivated]
you labor princes of Maine; you labor kings of New England

glomper_stomper posted:

the highest stratum of the labor aristocracy basically.

dont sign ur posts

[account deactivated]
during that overtime drive i gained fourty pounds and the inability to pronounce the letters "A" and "R"
I watched league of legends pro league instead of the superbowl .
I guess celebs are exploited in the sense that they're paid less than they're making for their bosses but who fuckin cares dude... if you want to care about ppl being exploited in sports or w/e it'd be better to focus your energy on college sports probably.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

this is important to take a position on because a standard liberal critique of marxist class conception is What About Lebron James? (or in this case, Tom Brady.) he makes $20 million a year to throw a ball around, how is he proletarian? how is he exploited? the first thing to note is that exploitation of labor power refers to laborers as a class, and could withstand an exception or two if found. so it's possible Tom Brady isn't exploited, but the innumerable bus drivers, trainers, groundskeepers, concessions workers, and even other players under the Patriots Inc. umbrella certainly are - just as it's possible that in an office building or factory somewhere there is a guy who is paid more than he actually brings in to the company. which ties into the second point - a capitalist football team is likely making more from Tom Brady's or Office Drone 427's labor than he is being paid, and believes this to be the case. if they believe that they are paying them more than they're bringing in, or that they could bring in the same amount while paying someone less, then a rational capitalist business will fire them, as happens constantly both in football and in office settings.

well sure and also workers are alienated for lots of reasons besides just making less money in wages than they make for their employer

[account deactivated]
fair wage for the boys in the guardtowers
"tom brady is an exploited worker" reminds me of the time after the financial crisis when someone told me that a billionaire becoming a millionaire was a bigger tragedy than thousands of people losing their jobs/pensions etc
obviously tom brady isnt anything resembling a priority, but he makes a living by work and not by capital accumulation
no human being deserves chronic traumatic encephalopathy except richard spencer

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

obviously tom brady isnt anything resembling a priority, but he makes a living by work and not by capital accumulation

shouldnt we withhold judgment on this question until after its clear that his clothing line/restaurant chain/videogame moneypit has collapsed and bankrupted him

people are really mean to curt shilling online just because he is a reactionary but they forgot that they could scam his dumb ass out of lots of money first