CyberBrecht posted:

two days off in a row? looks like we've got a labor aristocrat here

our good union got us on the 9 day fortnight and i gotta say, the 30 hr work week is kind of my 'thing' now

Got a date tonight baby... oh yea
i'm pretty sure it's illegal to date babies keven u may want to rethink ur plans tonight unless ur a spartacist
*stands up* I am spartacist. *blue lights flash edging me into forum right margin*
Doing it shmorky style
[account deactivated]
if only an area the size of delaware would wash away off the coast of delaware...

Keven posted:

Doing it shmorky style

wow u followed this lol

Red_Lobster posted:

if only an area the size of delaware would wash away off the coast of delaware...

*plays exploding bomb sound* BAMM! you're listening to drive time with lobster and the crab on 97.3 K-Rock.

I noticed that after Trump's win, normal people have decided to start showing up in the hidey hole meetings that they're supposed to be afraid of because any respectable organization pays rent. By being active organizing in my community I have learned so many nice things about Hillary's career in public service.
[account deactivated]
starting a marxist reading group, a bunch of the members miss the community they had when they were church goers so we're meeting on sundays and callin it "labour church."

kcnaofficial posted:

I noticed that after Trump's win, normal people have decided to start showing up in the hidey hole meetings that they're supposed to be afraid of because any respectable organization pays rent. By being active organizing in my community I have learned so many nice things about Hillary's career in public service.

It's not easy but my advice is to just ignore these remarks. Reality agrees that Clinton was a bad candidate, that must needs suffice.

shriekingviolet posted:

just failed to get an administration and policy job at a university org that i've given 6 years of free work (i see a pattern emerging) because their board of confused children want to prioritize "new energy." i predict they will lose their mandatory plebiscite to stay funded this spring, oh well.

so this org that chose not to hire me is asking me to help, for free, do the thing I would have been doing for money (pull their ass out of the fire) if they had hired me.

it's only noon and i'm already all

Keven posted:

What is...... His name.

[account deactivated]
a friend of mine in during my student days was a former sessional professor who decided to quit and work at the same university as a janitor instead because it gave him a better quality of life and he could still hang out with his academic peers during his lunch break
i watched an annie lennox video. when i first saw it i was a child and i didn't know who john malkovich and hugh laurie were. now i do and it's distracting

Meursault posted:

Keven posted:

What is...... His name.

on the one hand it's weird to call people from the internet by their username in real life, but on the other hand it's against Reformed Magneto-ism to call them by their slave name.
the arrogant Magneto smirked quite Jewishly
The SLow Ascent of Bigotry In The Rhizzone
that's a reference to a thread from three years ago
it's also about a meme.
The Very SLow Ascent of Bigotry In The Rhizzone (props 2 Big Kev)

cars posted:

that's a reference to a thread from three years ago

Yeah.... aaahhdoi.

i'm glad you read all my threads. really everyone should read all my threads
really no one has any excuse to do anything other than like everything i do, upvote me constantly and compliment me (ask permission first)
can't tell me what i can't do, gonna call you clever & handsome without your consent
tough but fair.
fun teaching moment today... people were talking about how cashiers say "no problem" or "no worries" where older people expect to hear "you're welcome" or have the cashier thank the customer. i pointed out how the material relations of workers to stores has changed thanks to contemporary corporate structure, so where it used to be that continued business from customers directly benefited a worker who was the son or daughter of a family owner or one of a few lifelong employees, now both the worker and the customer know instinctively that good business might have no impact or negative impact on a worker.

like, a store doing good business might lead to the power to automate that worker out of a job next month, or internal analytics might suggest firing workers regardless to increase profits, and if it was a kid working at their family's store that's a net gain to the kid in the short and long term: the family has more money the next month, the store they might inherit gains value and the kid can go out and look for another job with a net increase in their wellbeing, their ability to go to college later, etc. if a worker gets fired from a chain store nowadays, they're just fucked and everyone knows they're not paid sufficiently anyway, so any service they render prompts gratitude from the customer and the polite response (honest or not) is, it wasn't any extra trouble for the worker.

people seemed to stop and think about that a little harder than when it was just discussion on the level of "boomers" and "millennials" and sniping back and forth about "feeling entitled"... economic thinking never fails to impress in the west I guess.
I think "no problem" is just more casual,
i don't doubt my reasoning might have been bullshit and i think it has at least just as much to do with globalism and email etiquette in corporate environments, since a lot of languages outside of English already use some variation of "no worries", i was just being an opportunist... don't think that's a bad thing necessarily.
Why do old people get mad when you say No problem, I don't understand. They're thanking me for doing a thing and I'm saying no need to thank me, it was no probelm at all, happy to do it. No problemo man
They want u to bow before their lame old ass like this
Them: Thabk you
U: you're welcome. I acknowledge your thanks and accept you as my sexual father.

But this is what happens
Them: thank you
U: I don't give a single shit about you or the thing I just did bitch. I use a special phone computer program to meet and fuck your daughter.
A long time ago I was working at an NGO and the office manager asked me if I knew where like a stapler was or something and I said "I'm not sure, sorry" and the few people around sort of froze and she said "Don't say 'I'm not sure', say 'I don't know'. You are sure that you don't know."

Guess what her hobby was? Open mic-er, folks.
I am probably going to hear back from grad schools over the next month and the amount of information about arbitrary regulations I'm expected to figure out honestly baffles me. None of the websites make sense and they are all written assuming you had a close relative that went to grad school. Most of it does seem obvious after I figure it out too so it feels dumb to keep bugging the administrators about it.

One example. For the MA you have to take three courses plus the major paper. You have to take courses in both your designated major and minor fields. They offer mandatory core courses in these fields. The core courses are a full course each, and you have to take a certain half-course by mandate, so I thought you could only take one half-course elective, which seemed weird. The core courses in your major and minor fields aren't intended for MA students though, I figured out. You take your designated major and minor fields but you don't take the core courses yet. So you get to take 2.5 courses of whatever you want, provided that you take them in a number of fields. There are various layers of exceptions on top of that, but the character of the program is entirely different now that I know I don't have to take the core courses!!! Waaaaa!!! Now I can take a bunch of different weird courses, including ones strange ones in another department or some badass shit.
i went and spoke to some people at a university in london and they were weird and marxist and i will probably go there to be those things too.

UK university seems really bizarre to me compared to Canada (this is even more so after reading getfiscal's post), all the degree programs seem incredibly insular. i was speaking to someone about some psychology stuff and i asked if any of the classes she mentioned were available to people in other programs and apparently the prospect was so insane that she didn't even understand it let alone have a helpful answer

welcome to england!! everyone must get in their designated box!! everything is fine!!
but i have a job here that will pay for me to go back to school, so i will probably stay here until that disappears and/or some company in canada wants to pay for it. i guess starbucks does that or something idk

drwhat posted:

i went and spoke to some people at a university in london and they were weird and marxist and i will probably go there to be those things too.

UK university seems really bizarre to me compared to Canada (this is even more so after reading getfiscal's post), all the degree programs seem incredibly insular. i was speaking to someone about some psychology stuff and i asked if any of the classes she mentioned were available to people in other programs and apparently the prospect was so insane that she didn't even understand it let alone have a helpful answer

welcome to england!! everyone must get in their designated box!! everything is fine!!

Departments are largely the same in USA & everyone talks about the need for interdisciplinary study and nobody ever takes the steps to reorganize the depaetments to allow for it.